sneak peek: night owl

i first fell in love with night owl paper goods when i came across their eco-chic cards printed on wood, and now i always love seeing what new things they’ve cooked up. so today it’s a real treat to have a peek into partner alan henderson’s birmingham, alabama home. we were expecting something with a bit more of a “modern yet folksy” look (that’s night owl’s tagline, afterall), but we totally fell in love with the natural palette sprinkled with botanicals and clean spaces with lots of natural light. click here for more images (i can’t wait to see what they end up doing with visions of their dream garden), and here for more from night owl paper goods. and don’t forget, you can find for all our – nearly 200! – sneak peeks here! safe travels to all as you make it to your homes for the holidays! [thanks, alan!]anne

[above: The front porch opens right into the living room, no entry hall in the house. The sofa was our first major furniture splurge, the Harrington by Todd Hase in a cream mohair that we’ll keep forever. Lindsay had the curtains made with $3/yard tattersall fabric from a shop in Mississippi.]

Our living room opens to a porch that extends across the entire front of the house. The desk overlooks the garden.

One of a pair of bookshelves in the living room that Lindsay has had since college. We’re obsessed with amber glass.

You might have seen our kitchen in Cottage Living. We simplified the space by swapping out busy granite counters for Alabama white marble. This is why we bought the house–for this room and all its windows.

The botanical photographs are by our friend Melissa Springer. The map is actually pieced together from cheap prints that Montgomery artist David Braly aged and put together for us. Phoebe Howard really upgraded this space with wallpaper and good wool curtains–it’s our first grown-up dining room.

The chair fabric is Ikat from Hickory Chair. Unfortunately, it’s discontinued.

The bedroom isn’t done–the chaise came from Phoebe Howard in Atlanta and needs to be recovered, we loved the shape of it.

This is our office, I found the desk in the early 90s at a department store in Lexington, KY that was going out of business, and Lindsay had my amber glass bottles turned into lamps. The office upstairs, showing the original coal-burning fireplace. The banding on the walls is an homage to David Hicks.

Lindsay’s drawings from architecture school hang in our office. The computer desk came from Plexicraft in NY.

This is a classic four-square parterre, and it’s always changing–Lindsay and I had over 100 basil plants last summer, and heirloom tomatoes. This year we had whiteflies and hungry caterpillars. Next year it will be all about herbs and zinnias. Lindsay has someone building architectural tuteurs in the center of each square.

1. Liza says:

where can buy the big green framed leaves 2nd photo? gorgeous, love them. beautiful. thank you! Liza

2. Lindsay says:

Yes, I was the editor of Cottage Living, but Time Inc. decided last month to shut us down. I’ve since taken over our sister pub, Coastal Living. Look for changes there next year!

Thank you all SO MUCH for your kind words. Many of you have asked about the botanicals: I’m going to give away my big secret: they’re actually framed posters!! Go to (search “gunnera.”) Keep it entre nous. You can barely tell from 2 feet away.

3. Laura says:

Amazing home! I love the reference to David Hicks… his daughter’s house in the Bahamas is fabulous too…

4. Lucy says:

Is this home in Birmingham, AL??

5. Lucy says:

Simply beautiful!

6. wow – that kitchen is gorgeous!!

7. kate says:

where did you get the pair of chairs on the porch?

8. preeti says:

Wow! completely agree with everyone else. what a beautiful home, grown up, chic and yet very homey. I love the garden and yes the house has a very English feel to it–I too grew up in England and it definitely feels that way.

9. Lupin says:

Such a lovely serene colour palette – those posters look so great in that setting, really striking and just goes to show how you don’t have to break the bank on art to make a room look fabulous!

10. Anne says:

Oh my goodness! This home is simply stunning! I adore the dining room, those chairs!!

11. SO inspirational! Breathtaking!

12. My favorite elements are the large windows and the amount of light that comes into the room. You can do a lot of wonderful things with that natural light! :)

13. Katy says:

I believe the dining room chair fabric is a Duralee. I had it in a red colorway. Maybe that color is discontinued?

14. Cool desk! I love the wooden coffee table in the first pic. Such an original!

15. LIMOM says:

Gorgeous. One of the loveliest homes you’ve posted. I call this style, “Domino reader grows up”. Young and funky grows up and realizes that they need comfort, warmth, texture. They also need to display all that fabulous stuff they’ve accumulated on travels and at flea markets over the years. Love the window treatments throughout. Art is woven beautifully throughout the space, particularly in the dining room. On the other hand, the kitchen is so space that the lamp and table serve as art, genius.

16. rachel says:

i think what really adds to your wonderful taste in furniture and color is the beautiful bones of your home, looks like a home that PB would use for a photo shoot. You are so lucky! Dd

17. Elaine says:

Incredible! My favorite sneak peek by far! (And the others are pretty incredible too)

18. Devon says:

I absolutely love your house and your garden. What inspiration!

If you are ever in a DIY-blog kind of mood, could you let us know how one ages maps? I thought your aged map was entirely too gorgeous.

19. Michelle says:

wow. so gorgeous. i love the kitchen with all those windows and white countertops.

20. Lindsay says:

Devon: I wish I could give you a step-by-step how-to on the maps! But I think it’s actually just tea or coffee applied with a sponge (I didn’t do it myself). I’m loving that a couple of people get an English vibe–I’ve never thought of it that way. LOVE THAT!

21. susy says:

Good Lord. This is beautiful.

I am torn between completely renovating my entire apartment or jumping out a window.

22. Penni says:

This is simply gorgeous- Inspiring-

23. jdw says:

i think i’m the only one who think this, but . . . it’s nice enough, just has the look of trying too hard.

24. Alexis says:

25. Abbey says:

i love this sneak peek!

26. Great pics, your place looks absolutely amazing. You definitely do have an infatuation with the amber bottles, you should learn to make essential oils and use the bottles for storage. They will provide a terrific scent to the redone rooms you have.

27. Annie says:

My favorite sneak peek by far. Looks so beautiful and comfortable. Thank you for sharing.