sneak peek: julie dutton of studio olivine

by

julie dutton of studio olivine and her husband purchased their southeast portland [oregon] home three years ago and little by little have made their way through projects (with their greatest challenge stemming from getting creative with storage). simple colors, uncomplicated pieces and things that come with a story are how julie characterizes her home. the solution is a sense of calm beauty creates place where i’m sure we’d all love to come home to after a long day. click here for more images of their wonderful home, and here for all of our fantastic sneak peeks. [thanks so much, julie!] -anne

[above: The goal of the bedroom was to create a soothing color scheme, so the walls were painted a soft greyish blue. The quilt was a gift and was made by my grandmother. The organic cotton pillow cases came from one of my favorite Portland gems, Ink & Peat. Lucky me, I happened upon this artwork on a recent trip to San Francisco. The animals were drawn with charcoal by a street vendor in Paris. I just love their personality. ]

This picture above is of our living room. I made the curtains out of a nice oatmeal linen and stitched my favorite black and white striped ribbon a few inches above the base for a fun detail. The wood slat bench was salvaged from a church years ago by my grandfather and I am lucky to have ended up with it. Sitting on the bench is a lovely pillow designed as a collaborative project between my friends Brian and Amy Reed of Old School Stationers. My father, an excellent carpenter, built the coffee table for us.

Our nook! Now this is the room that really stumped me when we bought our house. A funny little room at the end of the house with an intensly slanted ceiling starting at 11 feet, and sloping to 5 feet. I found out that the room was originally used for canning which piqued my interest. I love the walls because they are literally made from wood and you can see each piece that was nailed into place. The lovely aqua vase is by Judy Jackson of New York. From left to right, the artwork on the wall: Hadley Hutton, Elisabeth Bentz, and Judy Jackson (Portland artists). All of their work is shown in frames made by my father. The place mats were made by Elisabeth Bentz. I covered the ceiling with simple Japanese papers.

This room is where all of the goodies lie. Fabric, yarn, all kinds of fun things. I painted this cabinet ochre yellow. I found it at an antique store, a sad victim of 1980’s ivy stencil art. I knew I could save it, so I brought it home and gave it a new coat. No one is the wiser. The bag on the back of the door is by one of my favorite designers, Lotta Jansdotter.

These shelves house some of my favorite dishes by Japanese Porcelain designers, Saikai. On the top shelf, some hand thrown mugs and bowl by Jennifer Anable of Portland (now Minnesota). On the bottom shelf is an old Lotta Jansdotter calendar. It is from a couple of years ago, but I couldn’t bare to part with it. I still flip the pages once in a while.

My little friend Homie likes to sit on the highest places. He also likes to nibble on fresh cut green plants. The scene that followed this one was not so innocent. He sure is cute, though! The limited edition print behind him is one I created at Studio Olivine for a show at Office. The artwork peaking in on the right is a beautiful piece by my friend Sam Tudyk. This one has a secret message if you look close. The shapes making up the design are actually letters that spell out “hello love.”

Some items collected from my yard in tiny glass jars. Several years ago I showed up to work and a friend had covered my desk in jars just like this. Each with a single hand picked flower. It was one of the best gifts I have been given.

1. Tay says:

Fabulous! Thanks for featuring Julie’s charming home. And I love how it is packed with my favorite Portland artists. The little nook with Japanese-papered ceiling is wonderful!

2. Anna @ D16 says:

Beautiful house. :)

I have to ask…what is the gray paint color?

3. Robyn says:

Wow, that Fontana headboard looks GREAT painted/stained in white! Way to take something out-dated and make it look awesome. :) :)

4. elisabeth says:

So lovely! This house has great personality – cozy, calm and well curated.

5. chelsea says:

Yay! Julie. I love her taste. Such a sweet home.

6. Uncle Beefy says:

Julie….well done, m’dear! So clean and cozy and the same time. Ah! Love the papered ceiling in the nook! Too charming! I’m smitten. :)

7. Liza says:

just the cutest! I love your home. The calm colors and lovely fabrics create the warmest space. What a great sneak peek!!! Good placement on the cat!

8. Kristan says:

Omigosh Homie!! He is too cute. I also adore the jars.

9. WV says:

Hi Julie! How exciting! Love this sneak peak! I love that white dining set in the “nook”! So cool!

10. Fable Press says:

I love the muted colour combinations — I can imagine it’s a very relaxing space to be. The print behind Homie is gorgeous…

11. Dallas says:

this is beautiful
    loving the wood slat bench so much!

Dallas

12. Tyshawn says:

I’ve been checking out all sorts of seating lately. And I love that bench!

13. jean sammis says:

Homie is so cute! And your house is lovely!

14. Thanks everyone for the great feedback! Unfortunately, Anna, that grey paint was custom mixed. I bought some paint and thought it was too blue, so added a couple of spoonfuls of leftover taupe paint to the mix to get it just the way I wanted.

15. Oh that woodern bench is to die for. What a gorgeous item, your too lucky!

16. katrina says:

what gorgeous photos. the colors and tones throughout the house are just incredible. so lovely.

17. d.Sharp says:

Julie – love it all, looks wonderful!

18. Mandi says:

I think my favorite thing about this home is the unexpected mix of industrial/natural with the soft and lovely.

19. Lisa O. says:

Julie, what a treat to fine your charming home on my favorite website. All your colorful details are lovely, you’ve got such a great eye!

20. Emily says:

Beautiful! Homie is adorable, and I’d do anything for that wooden bench!

21. virginia says:

it looks effortless, but i know it took thoughtful editing for it to appear so serene. love the bench…

22. Emiko says:

Adore that print by the cat! Also love that organic looking glass jar/vase by that print!!

23. Lovely house! Thanks for sharing pictures!

24. britt says:

cute dining chairs! can anyone tell me what they are? where i might find them?

25. LaVictoria says:

Omigod, it’s quarter to six am, and I just had to say: HOMIE is teh BEST name for a cat!!!! I’m going to start refering to my cat as my homie. Cause he is. Cause that’s how we roll, yo.

And yes, I really like the wood bench in your living room!

26. Mia says:

Lovely home and the most adorable cat!

27. Sam says:

So beautifully comfortable with so many lovely handmade things. I adore the yellow ochre cabinet.

28. Dana says:

Love the kitchen ‘nook’ table!!! Your aesthetic is beautiful. Wonderful job!

29. Carolyn says:

The word is “piqued” not “peaked.”

30. moodboard says:

Julie, who makes the glass vase on the mantle in the picture featuring Homie? Like everyone else I love your Japanese papered ceiling.

31. Christina says:

Such a cozy and simple home. I want the wood slat bench so bad, LOVE it!

32. Stephanie says:

Hi Julie! :)

Never have had the pleasure of seeing your house. Very artistic and comfortable. Nice job!

~Steph

33. Hi Britt – The chairs were a lucky ebay find.

Moodboard – You should email info@inkandpeat.com about the vase. Pam sells them and can probably ship you one. I agree, they are beautiful!

Thanks so much!

34. Emmie says:

I think this is my favorite “sneak peak” ever. Her whole house looks so clean, crisp, and cozy. I’m loving the simple colors and that bench is wonderful!

35. Cassie says:

The dining room chairs are “Marais” and not hard to find.

The Conran shop has a version in white:

36. Hei, I loved very much the picture with the cat on shelf. It inspired me to create this ilustration: http://printsedesign.com.br/?p=106

I´d be glad if you see it

Tks

37. I like the plants on each room and also the furniture makes it look traditional yet modern

38. angie says:

Lovely and delightful! love the jars and the wooden theater chairs. thanks for sharing. *a