sneak peek: diane crespo and karin schaefer

today’s second sneak peek comes to us from filmmaker diane crespo and artist karin schaefer, who own acorn, a brooklyn toy shop featuring beautiful handmade toys that highlight imagination. i’m loving their brooklyn heights home for its warmness and all the stories tied up in goods they’ve acquired over the years. you can find all the full-sized images right here. stay tuned for one more sneak peek that you won’t want to miss coming up at 2pm!!! [thanks karin and diane!] anne

[Above: Indian and Uzbek pillows from Layla]

Our living room has a combination of furniture from my grandparents, chairs and a bench we found on the street, Marcel Breuer tubular steel club chairs that are a recent acquisition from a trip to the Berkshires, Akari light sculptures that we bought when I taught at the Isamu Noguchi Museum, and our collection of photography and works on paper.

Our bedroom is the smallest room in the apartment but it is cosy, we call it the Taj Mahal for it’s pink glow.

When our 20 year old son Kaya comes home from college he still enjoys a few things from our shop Acorn, like the Salvor leopard silkscreen print and a sheepskin rug.

View from the living room into the kitchen and dining room with a collage by Emily Hass.

I lived in lofts for 15 years before we moved to this apartment and was used to having a live/work space, so we decided I should use the master bedroom as my studio. I love the freedom of being able to wander into the studio in the morning with my coffee and review what I worked on the day before.

Every room in our home has rocks, shells or seeds that we have collected from our travels. Some years we decided to limit our collecting to a palette, only black stones or white shells. I like to arrange them and move them around the house, but even when I do this Diane can always identify individual stones and tell stories of where they come from to our nephews. On the credenza are our newest additions to the collection, shells from Vlissingen in the Netherlands.

We have open shelving in our kitchen with Juliska dishes and assorted glassware from flea markets and family.

We love the old subway tiles in our bathroom, seen here with colorful Indian towels from Layla’s new towel shop on Hoyt Street. . . Our dining room table with peonies and candlesticks from grdn

1. jolene says:

these towels are fabulous. love it all – especially the shell collections!

2. juli says:

what an amazing space! i love all the prints on the wall and the textiles! thanks for sharing!

3. Kristan says:

What a beautiful home. It’s really well put together. I particularly love the living room.

4. amanda says:

i love this home — it seems happy, airy, and beautiful without trying too hard.
    thank you for sharing.

5. Amanda says:

Nice space. Any information on where the dining room sideboard came from?

6. Liza says:

Oh, I love this one! I love the Noguchi lams, the collections and the colors. Thank you!

7. eh says:

Beautiful! Can I ask where the red ottoman in living room is from?

8. moodboard says:

I love your bedroom. What color is the paint on your walls?

9. Jennifer says:

The round mirror reminds of something very similar that I have. It is a vintage mirror with etching made in the glass.

10. I adore the green pillows on Kaya’s bed. And that collage is fabulous.

11. Mia says:

Karin is a fantastic artist and her apartment is just as charming in person as in the photos. Great to see it on D*S!!

12. Brooke says:

I like the mirror in your bedroom. Where did you find it? Thanks!

13. Jennifer says:

I love the towels from Layla! I wish you could shop there online!

14. Emma says:

Oh, this is so nice! I especially like all the mixing of patterns in cushions etc! Very cosy!

15. Hey! Love the orange accents!

16. virginia says:

it looks restful and informal…just enough texture and color to pull someone in, and interesting pieces to keep the eye roving.

i love juliska glassware, but haven’t seen their dinnerware.

17. Karena says:

Love the art & pillows in the first photo. Excellent!

18. Alan says:

Beautifully shot!

19. CarlaChicago says:

I love all the color and texture in this house! It looks so comfortable and lived in.

20. clik212 says:

Everything is just so nice and inviting. Clean look and airy. Thanks for sharing.