sneak peek: brie harrison

our special friday sneak peek is home to london-based, textile designer brie harrison who just launched her new website. the shop portion of her site is still to come, but you can find her work featured in the pages mike perry’s new catalog of hand-drawn pattern, over and over. judging from her cards below, i can’t wait to see more from her, but in the meantime, i’m going to continue to lust over all the great patterns and textiles from her travels that she’s woven into her home. you can click here for more, full-sized images. [thanks, brie!]anne

[Above: This is me on my sofa in our lounge on a bright sunny morning. The sofa is a present from my parents and the cushions are collected by me from various places and some I made from vintage fabrics found in flea markets in NY. Anna Wolf took this photo of me when her and her boyfriend Mike Perry came to visit this summer. ]

The picture on the shelf is by one of my friends -the very amazing illustrator sanna annukka she gave this to Jim and I as a present a few years ago and I  think it fits in very well with the colours in our lounge. The donkey on the shelf is from a boutique in Paris and the russian dolls James brought back of for me from a trip to Berlin. The basket on the floor is from a market in St Tropez. Our TV is about 13 years old and I had in my bedroom when I was a teenager and I can’t bear to get rid of it as it still works although it looks a bit of an eye sore here but wanted to show you a real representation!

Our bed is from muji- which is brilliant for simple basic items. the floral throw is from portobello market in London and the white embroidered sheet is from a vintage shop in California called jetrag. The cushions are from India and Morocco.

I love this wall when the sun shines on it. The map is of the New York subways and is actually just a piece of wrapping paper but I think its far too nice for that!- James and I have spent a few summers out there working recently and we love it out there so much. The Barbar picture on the left I bought James for christmas- it has little mini elves carrying a sleigh which makes me smile. The triangle pencil drawing is by our friend artist Amy Green.

This turquoise chest I bought for next to nothing from a salvation army store and painted it- same with the chair. The frame leaning against the radiator is a poster from one of my favourite films Amelie. the gold framed picture is of a card by Johnathan Dilnott – I want to splash out and buy one of his screenprints one of these days but for now I just have the greetings card framed.

These shelves in our bedroom don’t have that many practical things on apart from the books. I just needed somewhere to put all the things I love collecting. The two big geisha bobble dolls are vintage from Beacon in NY and the black and white photo is of my mum in the 70s. Charley Harpers birds and words is a new purchase- I have fallen in love with his beautiful illustrations. The black floral fabric covered frame in the centre bottom is designed by my best friend Anja Sheriden, a very talented textile designer…. and more tins!

These are the cards I have designed for art angels. I have just finished 6 more for them that will be out early next year and will also hopefully feature wrapping paper and possibly notebooks. I am planning on making some of the designs into limited edition screen prints to sell on my website very soon!

1. ck says:

wow, just luv those cards – well funky.

2. Adrienne says:

I love the apartment, the combination of colors and patterns is so cheerful, just beautiful! I also love the cards and can’t wait to see more textile patterns!

3. brittney says:

Ah! These textiles speak to my heart, so gorgeous! I love the mix of bright colors and the playful patterns, so uplifting!

I have a little color problem and I was wondering if I could get your expert opinion. I have a palette in my living room of a muted medium teal-blue, chocolate brown and a maize gold. I want to add a pop of color with candles and accessories and I’ve narrowed it down to: eggplant, olive, and burnt orange.

4. 315thomas says:

fabulous! i love all the great textiles, and the tea tins on flickr :)

5. Turquoise chest! Love love love it.

6. Elizabeth W says:

OMIGOSH – i too have Charlie Harper’s Birds and Words displayed on my shelf! great minds think alike! i also have beguiled by the wild next to it, if you don’t already have it you should deff GET IT!
    i love the colors on your bed and in your lounge. they made me yearn for summer! the sofa is so ‘beach shack chic’, i want it!

7. Laura. says:

the bright colors and sunshine are exactly what i need on a gray winter day!

8. Get Togetha says:

I’m loving her flat! It seems very real and touchable.

9. The succelent is beautiful. Is it growing in soil, or in water?

10. Gypsy says:

It’s fun to see your work after looking at your home–all the influences are right there! Your flower prints are beautiful–I will look forward to the opening of your “shop.” :)

11. shauneen says:

I look at this every week and am chuffed to see you on it. Your flat is lovely and love all the trinkets. I especially love the art by Anja Sheridan!! . Also love your new wesite. Good work!

12. Geri says:

Your space is lovely ~ your artwork even more so.

13. kate Endle says:

Love your place and art- especially your kokeshi dollies.

14. Wow Brie the flat looks amazing, Daniel says there are no signs of men living their are you single?

15. uncharted says:

I love the bursts of color in this home

16. Kristan says:

I think this is fantastic space. It’s lovely and yet lived-in, homey and yet fun and beautiful. I’d be jealous, but she seems like the type of person you can’t hate for anything. :)

17. annkent says:

Love the decor and crave the prints!

18. Rita Berman says:

Hallo Brie,

Very fine taste:-)
    Very nice concept;-))
    I like your design:O)))

Gest regards from Germany

19. Christiana says:

Love love your flat Brie, what a happy, sunny place! Can’t wait to purchase some Harrison cards and notebooks!
    All the best!
    Your ex-Accessorizer ;-)

20. David Phillips says:

Looks absolutely wonderfull. What’s it like with the snow reflecting in?

21. Anna says:

Copy editors, please do your jobs here!

1. grace says:

this post is two years old, we did not have a copy editor at the time. i’ll scan this again myself to catch anything i can. politeness is always appreciated with comments like this.

22. Sheetal says:

I remember looking at this sneak peak during my time off at home in India last year…. I just couldn’t get enough of it…. I keep searching for it again and again.. This sneak peak was the reason I became a design sponge follower. Today, being miles away from home, I look at this to remind me of that beautiful summer vacation in India with my family. The design, the bold colours, the personality- it all just hits home. No offence, but I find the colors here in America a little too subdued, monotonous and well, just plain boring. This is what I’d like to come to after work everyday- Home!