in the kitchen with: happy owl glass

One of the reasons I love doing this column is the exposure to the individual talent and passion for all things creative of the people who submit. I would say that about oh, 90 seconds elapsed from the time we contacted Tracy Bull of Happy Owl Glassworks about submitting a recipe and the time it took for her to her recipe for Chocolate Bread Pudding with Cardamom Whipped Cream. For the holidays, this recipe is very quick, easy, and a great way to impress. Tracy and her family hope you like it as much as they do! –Kristina

Tracy is the owner of Happy Owl Glassworks and has a studio outside Boston, MA. In addition to glass and illustration, she dabbles with many different fine crafts. When she’s not working with her business, her other part-time job is being a mother. She loves to work with food and looks forward to the day she can share that skill with her daughter.

Click here for the full recipe after the jump, or just click “read more” below.

Chocolate Bread Pudding with Cardamom Whipped Cream

A few notes, first off: This recipe can be changed on a whim to suit your fancy! Add nuts, citrus zest, berries or anything, really (just add these at the end step with the chocolate chips). You could also do sourdough for a completely different flavor. For a truly decadent version, use chocolate cake in place of the bread—it is delicious!

Bread Pudding:

3 c. Milk (I use 2%)
4 oz. Unsweetened Chocolate, chopped into chunks
2 T Butter
1 c. Sugar
2 tsp Vanilla
1 c. Cream
4 Eggs
1 Loaf Challah or other sweet bread*, crusts removed and the rest ripped into chunks
1 c. Chocolate Chips

Preheat your oven to 350°. Butter a 9” x 11” pan and set aside.

In a saucepan, heat the milk, unsweetened chocolate and butter. Stir occasionally over medium-high heat. Once it gets near melting, whisk it so that it mixes well (but don’t whisk it to frothing). Stir in the sugar and set aside. In a large bowl, mix the eggs, cream and vanilla. Whisk in the milk mixture and crumble in the bread. Now stir in the chocolate chips. Pour this into your pan. I do a ‘water bath’ for the pan: put a small layer of water in an 11” x 14” (or so) baking sheet, and put the bread pudding pan in the baking sheet (like it’s swimming!). Now bake for about an hour or until it’s set in the center. Cool for about another hour before cutting. Refrigerate. You can eat it cold as I like to, or it can be re-heated for a chilly winter night. Whatever your preference, it goes great with…

Cardamom Whipped Cream:

1 c. Heavy Cream
1-2 T Sugar (or to taste)
1/4 tsp Ground Cardamom (or to taste)

Mix the sugar and cardamom in a small dish. Put the cream in a bowl and, with the whisk attachment of Kitchenaid or mixer, whip. Add the sugar mixture while it’s whipping and continue whipping at a high speed until peaks form (you can “under-whisk” them so that it is more of a sauce, if preferred). Now garnish your delicious bread pudding with a dollop or two of the cream. Enjoy!

Why Tracy chose this recipe:

I love both chocolate and bread! This dish has everything and it can be customized to anyone’s fancy. It’s a great way to use up stale bread, and it’s versatile in that you can eat it cold or warm. I used to be a baker, and I adapted it from our own recipe–I was always caught eating samples of bread pudding (and mousse)!

1. Stacey says:

This looks like a recipe I’ll have to try for the holiday season. Thanks for sharing it!

2. elissa says:

Sounds delicious, but what I really want to know is where did she get that table runner, it’s beautiful!

3. Camilla says:

That looks delicious – I’ll have to experiment with measurements as I’m in the UK so I hope I don’t end up eating the chocolate whilst I calculate!

4. jocie says:

I love Happy Owl Glassworks!! Thanks for featuring such a great artist- not only does she make lovely art, jewelry, home decor and shirts- she has delicious recipes!

5. Susan says:

Hey, Tracy, Sharon passed along your email. Hope all is well.

This looks so tempting; I think I’ll make it while I’m up North at my sister’s. Who can resist bread and chocolate? Izzy and Minnie say “meow”. Give my love to Justin and Maisy.

6. Gabriel says:

Wow, those look like some rich and delicious ingredients. I love seeing them all in their bowls and glasses getting ready to collaborate into a chocolate bread pudding. I think you should make it for new years!

7. the purcells says:

sounds and look delicious! i’m a sucker for bread pudding but especially with cardamom whipped cream. thanks!

8. geek+nerd says:

This looks delicious. I work as a baker, and the bakery that I work for makes the *most delicious challah.* I’ll have to test this out on one of our loaves :)

9. Dani says:

I made this for dinner tonight, and it was a hit! Such a great classic recipe with a chocolaty twist, thanks for sharing :)

10. Is T for tablespoon and tsp for teaspoon?

11. Maggie says:

I made this for dinner guests last weekend, and it was just fantastic. It can serve a CROWD; it’s so rich! I’d say at least ten people could share a pan. The cardamom whipped cream will probably be making more appearances with chocolate desserts; it was a great touch.

12. Lauren says:

wow – i’m not usually one for decadent deserts, but the cardamom caught my eye. another great recipe with similar flavors that I made for my new year’s dinner party is this spiced molten cake, one to try for sure…