d*s 2008 holiday video

today i’m back in virginia and ready to celebrate the holidays with family and friends. for the last post of the year we decided to shoot a holiday video at my house with the winterns, des and sam. as we all head home for the winter break, i thought it would be fun to share some great last minute cooking and crafting ideas so i hope you’ll enjoy the finger knitting project (crochet chains for your tree) with des and the chocolate bark recipe. it’s one of my favorite winter treats to make. thanks to des, sam and jimmy for their video help!

i’m signing off until the new year and will be back with regular posts on monday, january 5th. i’m gearing up for some exciting new d*s projects in 2009 so i’m going to use next week to prepare and get all of my ducks in a row. so until then, best wishes for a happy holiday and a wonderful new year! i’ll see you in 2009…

1. Rona Chang says:

I will pack a ball or two of yarn with me to make this over the holiday weekend. Can’t wait. Thank you all and happy holidays!

2. That was very cute. And great to meet the interns. Thank you for sharing some last minute cooking and crafts with us. Merry Christmas, Happy Hanukkah and Happy New Year to Design Sponge!

3. Victory B. says:

Mmmmmm bark! I tried my hand at our traditional christmas toffee last night, but it wasn’t so successful. Maybe my tradition will involve that bark!

4. ericka says:

What a cute video Grace & the Winterns! I will have to try both of these for next year! Thanks so much for all you do and have a wonderful & creative holiday & new year!

5. Leah says:

Love that garland! An easier way to make the candy cane pieces (and relieve some holiday stress in the process) is to put them in a ziploc bag and break them up with a meat tenderizer.

6. Congratulations on a great video and a great year! Your winterns are adorable. Def. will be trying the holiday bark while wrapping gifts.

7. Molly says:

We used to do finger weaving at summer camp, I totally forgot about it until now! My childhood bestfriend had a large Pee-wee Herman-esque ball in her closet from our entire summer of weaving work. Now I’m wonder if she still has it? hmm. Awesome video; i’m totally make the bark tonight :D

Merry Merry!

8. Get Togetha says:

Happy Holidays Grace! You are my hero an a true inspiration!

9. lisa s says:

happy holidays to you grace!!!
    see you in 2009

10. kristin says:

chocolate bark is one of the yummiest things to make for christmas time, and pretty easy, too! happy holidays!

11. Sara says:

Merry Christmas and Happy and prosperous New Year to you!

12. perfectbound says:

Happy Holidays and a Happy New Year to you too, Grace! See you next year :)

Julie & Kathryn

13. I just made the bark today. It’s delicious! :) Thanks for the video and Merry Christmas!

14. Jennifer "JR" says:

So cute! Love the ending!

15. Sam says:

Merry Christmas! Thank you so much Grace for a really truly lovely blog – can’t wait to come back for more reading fun in the New Year!

16. EWian says:

God jul = Have a good Christmas!

17. Marichelle says:

Grace, I wish you and your family the very best for the holidays and for the new year ahead.

:) Marichelle

18. Eve says:

Happy Holidays and a Happy New Year to you too ! See you in 2009

19. Ye Olde Wench says:

Loved it! Have a wonderful holiday season! :D

20. jessica ann says:

Love the finger-weaving garlands. Such a simple way to make dvd watching over the holiday season productive. And such a wonderful way to use the ends of your skeins of yarn!

21. Melissa says:

You guys are adorable.

22. katsola says:

Happy Holidays. The finder knitting garland was so much fun.

23. katsola says:

Happy Holidays. The finger knitting garland was so much fun.

24. Sekhar says:

Wish You A Very Happy & Merry Christmas. Enjoy your holidays :)

25. Jessica says:

Happy Holidays D*S! These were great suggestions! xo

26. Uncle Beefy says:

MERRY CHRISTMAS & HAPPY NEW YEAR! Thanks for a stupendous year of fun and inspiration, Grace and Co.! Best wishes to you all! :)

27. Noel says:

hey I am a big fan of Designsponge and somehow never knew you where from VA! Well I live in Richmond and didn’t know what area you were in.

28. Abby says:

I totally did the finger weaving with my Grandma on Christmas! She loved how simple it was, being a pretty talented knitter herself. Thank you for posting this. It gave me a wonderful Christmas memory with my Gram, which is priceless.

29. Lydia says:

Have a wonderful holiday Grace. All good things to you in ’09

30. Drea says:

Awesome video! I want to get some yarn and try the finger knitting out with some friends!

31. PaulAndre says:

Happy New Year for all…I have a great couple of friends in Richmond VA. And be sure that you from Design Sponge have fans in Brazil…keep going with these good place of design! =))

32. Geri says:

Great little video. Will definitely try both. Esp. can’t wait to help two ppl in particular who struggled with knitting w/needles…somehow, I think this will be a great help w/that process. Happy holidays to all.

33. Justine says:

I made the bark with my grandparents and it was delicious!

34. Alex says:

Aw, the knit garland is such a fantastic idea! I wish I had winterns as well. Happy holidays + New Year to all.

35. Aly says:

Des you are the cutest gal alive!! What an adorable idea to use finger knitting as little garlands! Hope you all are having a great holiday break and have a fab New Years! xx

36. Purple Area says:

Great video, thanks for sharing, that finger knitting garlands looked a bit tough. Happy holidays!

37. Sara says:

Thanks for taking the time to make this video! So cute. :)

38. laura says:

that finger weaving was a true blast from elementary school- i had totally forgotten about it! thanks for the fun reminder!

39. Helenna says:

Congratulations on being featured in ‘realliving’ magazine! I am looking forward to reading your blog in the future. It has been added to my favourite blogs on Driftwood & Chandelier. Happy New Year!

40. Robak Design says:

I wish you a happy holiday and a new year full of real design art around you :)

webdesign by robakdesign.com

41. heidi says:

ha! another good use for my 8 year old’s miles of finger knits. we exhausted the use of them for skinny scarfs and headbands. i almost died laughing when i saw what you guys were doing since i so associate it with the 8 year old set.

42. I love the video. Hvae a happy new year!

43. Aimee says:

Happy New Year!

44. Yara says:

Happy 2009! Thank you for so many fantastic ideas!!! x

45. I am so impressed!
    Have a New 2009 Year full of nice ideas so we can come, see and be inspired!

46. Diana says:

Old school crafts and cooking – love it! Have a Happy New Year. Well done interns.

47. Saioa says:

Thank you for that funny idea. Happy New Year to everyone! :)

48. Tess says:

A tip on crushing the candy canes:

Dtick the canes in a ziplock bag (or something to the equivalent) then take a meat tenderizing mallet -or a hammer, and crush the candy canes inside the bag. This will help keep the mess down.

Love the video btw :)