sneak peek: paper scissors oranges

our next sneak peek comes to us from reader susanna carrillo, owner paper scissors oranges art studio for kids in darien, connecticut. i love how she describes her home, set against a clean white canvas, as “very much influenced by the children’s art work and the paint I mix daily.” the great, bold pops of color really make the home come alive. click here to see more. [thanks, susanna!] –anne

1. when i have kids i want them to grow up in a house as colorfull and clean and happy as this one. just looking at the pictures cheers me up.

2. Shashi says:

Susanna, lovely house. Can you tell me where you got your wardrobes? Both are very cool.

3. SueS says:

Is the oversized wing chair in orange fabric also from Anthropologie? If not, where can I get the fabric–I love it! I love the whole house!!!!

4. Lisa says:

LOVE the area rug in the babies room – where’s it from?!

5. Davina Grunstein says:

Where did you get that orange/red wardrobe? I love that!

6. JouNNe says:

i love all the house

7. CW says:

So gorgeous, thanks for sharing. Where is that white desk from??

8. Jamie says:

So Beautiful. Thanks for sharing. Love the dark floors with the white walls and colorful accent pieces. Such a dream…

9. Gretchen says:

Hey what a great portrait! of mom + child hanging over the yellow + white flower chair. Your house is simply FAB and my fave place to sleep when I am in Ct.!!!!!! LOVE the white with black floors that shine and splashes of color all over the place that please my eyes…xoGK

10. yvonne says:

where can you get that lovely lion pillow!! i’m obsessed!!

11. kelly teed says:

TOLD YA!

12. Beth says:

Someone (abbi) asked about the white desk in the studio – it looks like to me as the IKEA Malm dressing table, painted white. This is a great house, thanks for the sneak peak!

13. Angie says:

I keep looking at this one– no lie, I’ve looked at it about 5 times now. There is something VERY appealing about this house– the calm white with the great accents of lively color– both restful and stimulating. 3 cheers!

14. Love the light airy feel of each room. I’m always drawn to think that have green accents and other pops of color too.

15. Cynthia says:

Interesting that there are no window coverings – except the lightest of valances in the nursery.

16. Amy Beals says:

Where can I find that beautiful blue/brown throw at the end of the bed? I must have one!

17. laura says:

did you make all your slipcovers?
    I have a two year old, and wanted to make white/ivory/grey slipcovers for my furniture – but didn’t know what fabric to use so that I could wash them. Duck fabric for all?
    Your home is absolutely inspiration.

18. jennifer says:

One last “Where did you get it!”
    The white camelback sofa – is it vintage? If not, where is it from??

19. jennifer: The camelback sofa was left here in the garage when we moved in. I slipcovered it in white duck cloth. It is upholstered in a great old white and yellow marimekko fabric but it is so worn and dirty…I would have kept as is if it was in better shape…thanks for asking!

20. annkent says:

This is fabulous! I love the clean, crisp color and the incorporation of child-friendly space!

21. Diana says:

Nice house! Where did you get the bed frame, in the first picture?

22. Scissors says:

What a nice decoration! I love it.

23. Brianne says:

I feel like this house is so light and airy. The bright pops of color are so refreshing.

24. Emily says:

I just looked at this again for the first time in months and months (Since Nov. 24, 2008 when I commented the first time!). I am still so floored by the beauty of this home. I’m hoping to cover our couch and loveseat in white so I can get the kind of effect that you have so gracefully mastered in your home.

Thanks again and again for your inspiration.

25. Lucy says:

A beautiful home!! There is a wire frame side table holding a printer inside and a lamp and doll on top, next to a desk and sofa area…where is that from? I love it!

26. san says:

Loved loved loved everything about this home. The vivid colors scattered on white, the floors, the white cat with some col0r here and there to match the color design of the house, the children friendly decor (the little table juxtaposed to the coffee table is sweet), the toys and playful elements, every detail is lovely and thoughtful and warm and merry and yet there is no compromise on elegance. Kudos, Susanna. My fave now.
    What’s over the nursery door and hanging by the nursery window? Looks pretty. Thanks for sharing. Loved the ‘naked’ bed, so light.

27. alexandra says:

i love this! everything is so clean & fresh yet comfortable

28. loving this! where are the patterned rugs from? (i didn’t see it mentioned in the previous posts, but i may have missed it). thanks!

29. Randi says:

Such a wonderful home. Can you please tell me where you got the orange chair with the black base from?

30. Mary James says:

I a absolutely IN LOVE! I want to do this now! And we have many of the same inspirations, with children’s artwork and toys and whatnot.

31. Cecilia Staunton says:

I painted my upstairs floors white and this house was the inspiration (friend of a friend introduced us and she let me come in to see). My problem now, three years down the line is that my floors yellowed a bit and really turn yellow under furniture. Do you have that same problem? Have you repainted and that is why yours still look so white? I used the same paint as you told me you had used. Ben Moore porch paint when they still made the oil based paint. I was thinking of painting them again but now would have to use a latex paint as the oil based paints are no longer. Thoughts?