diy wednesdays: leaf mobile

nature crafts are our absolute favorite things to make, and what better way to celebrate fall than to bring nature indoors with a seasonal leaf mobile? a good friend of ours gave us a stack of leaves from a recent trip back east, and we now have them hanging all over our apartment, suspended from little twigs. after a few weeks, when it’s time to make way for holiday decor, these guys will probably end up in our compost bin, but in the meantime, we’re enjoying the fall color and dreaming of hikes in the woods. click here for the full project instructions or just click “read more” below to continue with your leaf mobile!

happy autumn!
derek & lauren

Lauren and Derek’s Leaf Mobile

here’s what you’ll need:
-a twig that is around 12” long and about 1/4” in diameter

1. tie a piece of thread around the center of the twig and suspend from a hook or nail.

2. wrap one end of a length of thread around the stem of one of your leaves a few times, and tie in a knot to secure.

3. tie the other end to the twig (making sure the leaf hangs at a length that you’re happy with) and cut off excess thread.

4. continue adding leaves one at a time, tying them onto the twig so it balances and hangs horizontally.

1. Stacey says:

That is so pretty, I’m going to make one next week. Thanks for sharing such a lovely idea.

2. Claire says:

Our absolute favorite things to make too. Beautiful!

3. jennifer g says:

hey, I have a stack of leaves from a trip to the mountains and free time tonight!

4. VisuaLingual says:

Oh, wow… I’m always impressed by the ingenuity of this duo, but this DIY project takes the cake! It’s so simple, and the results are stunning!

5. bmommy says:

Wow, so simple…where can I hang it?? Maybe in the bedroom…

6. Simko says:

Simple and gorgeous…

7. rem says:

Drat…our leaves have hardly even changed color in Houston yet… ;_;

8. Lauren says:

I think I’m in LOVE…with your blog. :)

9. Cakespy says:

This is gorgeous!!! I have been collecting beautiful leaves for no particular reason other than the fact that they’re pretty lately–I want to give this a try!

10. uncharted says:

this is a great idea… I went leaf picking on Sunday… as i end up doing spontaneously every fall. but I don’t often do much with my leaves beyond pressing them in a journal. thanks for the idea.

11. Sara says:

I concur… great idea to put to use all those wonder-fall leaves

12. africalive says:

Exactly why I subscribe to this blog. Another absolutely BRILLIANT idea.

13. Josh says:

Darn, all my leaves turned brown

14. Francis says:

Very Nice! So simple! Love it! love it! love it!

15. Donna says:

I’m going to try this also. I like it very much! Thank you for sharing your ideas!