charles and ray eames are big heroes of ours, and their house of cards is something we look at often—not only for visual inspiration, but as an example of a perfect design object that is smart, playful and modern. this week we gathered some images from the weekly photo assignments we post on our blog, smarts&crafts, to create our own custom house of cards. it’s a great way to keep track of the things that inspire you, and would also make the perfect holiday gift! click here for the full post and instructions or just click “read more” below.
derek & lauren
Custom House of Cards
here’s what you’ll need:
3 sheets of photo quality ink jet paper
3 pieces of 8.5” x 11” cardstock
x-acto knife and straight edge
rounded-corner punch (optional)
1. resize a selection of photos to 2.25” x 3.5” each in a photo editing program such as photoshop, and print them out onto photo quality ink jet paper. we printed 24 photos, and were able to fit 8 per page.
2. mount the printed sheets onto cardstock with rubber cement.
3. carefully cut out the photos using your x-acto knife and straight edge, and round the corners with your rounded-corner punch or scissors.
4. cut six 1/2” slits into each card: 1/2” down from the top and 1/2” up from the bottom on either side, and in the center of each short side.
5. you can decorate the backs of each card with a drawing or a rubber stamp.