diy project: kate’s teacup candles

crafter and all around awesome-girl kate pruitt will be joining d*s this month to share some fun, material-themed diy projects. she’ll be focusing on one material for the month and using it in a variety of different diy projects. for this month kate has chosen a material both she and i share an obsession with: ceramics! if you’re like us you probably have a surplus of cute cups and bowls sitting around the house, and maybe would like to refresh them. these teacup candles are super easy to make and would be nice little handmade gifts for the upcoming holidays…if you can bear to part with your treasures! click here for the full post and instructions or just click “read more” below happy crafting!

Kate’s Teacup Candles:

What You’ll Need

1. teacup (saucer optional) – i found most of these at a thrift store
2. wax (i used microwaveable soy wax from a craft store, but they sell all kinds)
3. candle wicks (at least 1″ taller than your cup)
4. candle scent or dye (optional)
5. microwaveable container
6. hot glue gun
7. thermometer

1. Clean your cup and saucer thoroughly and dry completely
2. Place your wick in the center of your cup and glue the base down with a dab of hot glue. You can also purchase sticky wax for this step, but glue works fine.
3. Heat wax and add in dye or scent according to package directions. Pour into container. You can gently adjust the wick to make sure it is straight after you poor the wax in.

4. Let sit until the wax is cool and solid
5. Trim wick down to 1/4″.

1. sjrb66 says:

My very talented sister has been making these as gifts for years. I think her original inspiration came from the project in Martha Stewart Living, but she’s been picking up great tea cups and saucers at yard sales, tag sales, and flea markets.

2. Diane says:

Can you tell me what size and type of wick you have used?

3. Allison says:

This is so great… I have a bunch of teacups that I love but I didn’t really know what to do with (besides drink tea out of them). I will definitely have to try this. Thanks!

4. karo design says:

this is so cute!
    I’m trying this out for sure!

5. catherine says:

thanks for sharing……i love this cute idea…

6. joy says:

the surface of mine totally came out bumpy and not smooth like yours – any reason why or know how to fix it? great idea, i made a bunch!

7. Sandra says:

I really want to try this. And I love the bunny picture on the back. :)

8. amazing!! i shall be on the look out for pretty teacups when i’m thrifting… i need to try this for myself! xx

9. I am always looking for new ways to make a unique candle and teacup scented soy candles are a really great idea I hadn’t considered. Have to find teacups next!

10. I found some really great teacups, and am going to make them next. Check out my articles tab to see pictures of the finished teacups if you like. The Salvation Army was a good place to look for teacups and saucers to use for gifts.

11. JInty Ahoy says:

I spy personalised christmas presetns for all :) How fabulous!

12. Wow…..wonderful page….I love the containers in which these candles are made.

13. ShyViolet says:

What a great idea! I’ll have to try this soon… I need teacups now!

14. mandmakes says:

The perfect christmas gift! I’ve built up a collection of pretty teacups from local charity shops…ebay is too expensive especially with shipping costs. Also the Bon Maman jam jars make great candle containers :-)

15. Char says:

Love this idea! I’m a major candle lover! I cannot wait to try this! Thanks so much!

16. photo mugs says:

i love your work .nice candle mugs.

17. Loree-Lynn says:

I love this! I was trying to think of fun party favors for a tea party I am having in a few weeks….. this is perfect! :) Thanks

18. Jeanette says:

This is amazing. Why didnt i think about this before!

19. Lisa says:

I am going to start making these for my tablescapes for my victorian wedding !! So nice !!!!!

20. Frances says:

I’m also making these as the favors for my wedding! It complements the centerpieces of candelabras and teapots with flowers on silver trays!

21. Krista says:

How many teacups can you make from 1 pound of the soy wax you are using?

22. Robin says:

Going to start this project today! I have many hand-me-down teacups of a bygone era that have been in storage for years. Time to make them useful and give as gifts or sell!

23. Megan says:

Love this idea! Will be a great Mother’s Day gift; she loves candles!
    Also, one of your teacups in the last post, I have the EXACT same one! :)

24. Leanne Loach says:

You have done an excellent project and you doing great work!

25. Mandy says:

Have you had any problems with the cup overheating/cracking/etc? thanks!

26. Kathryn Hamm says:

… is it possible to find ” scents” that are tea flavors ? Such as Earl Grey ? Where may I find them, please …. thank you, you made this project ,so approachable.