diy project: decoupaged ceiling

i’m a big fan of decoupage, it’s a fun and easy way to decorate practically any surface in your home (provided you own that surface and won’t have to remove it when you leave). so i was excited to see robert at mr. peacock‘s post on decoupaging his ceiling. he selected a beautiful range of black and white images and created a loose collection of “birds and bees” on his ceiling. the result is such a great bit of visual interest in an unexpected place. click here for robert’s full instructions and more images. [robert will be guest blogging soon so stay tuned…]

1. ellie says:

this is the coolest diy project yet!! now how can i incorporate this into my rental…

2. julia says:

Wow!! this is fantastic! who would have guessed xeroxes would looks so amazing.

3. Oh, my gosh. I love this! Soooo creative!

4. Kristan says:

Cool idea, but I’m not sure it’s my thing… Takes a more hip person than me to pull this off in their home!

5. Emma says:

Oh, that looks great! I always thought of decoupage as something just for old ladies! Totally inspiering! I would love something similar on the inside of my front door.

6. Tara says:

I absolutely love this! It looks so sophisticated… now I just need to find a place to use it. I have to agree with Ellie, this may be the best DIY yet!

7. this is so elegant. I love the shadowing on the pieces he chose for his decoupage.
    very antique looking.

8. Jamie says:

This is AMAZING! I can’t wait to try this on the ceiling of my tiny hallway.

9. Amy G says:

That is brilliant!

10. I’m surprised at how much I like the black and white / xerox look. It is actually very elegant! Cheers!

11. Doug says:

Love it! Love it! Love it! What a visual punch for almost no money.Very inspiring.

12. Able Parris says:

Ceilings are definitely under-decorated. This is a great idea! Graffiti artists do this type of thing all of the time, but they make it more of a narrative. That could be cool to explore. Maybe have the birds and flowers “interact” with the light somehow?

13. katsola says:

I love it, but like Ellie, I am a renter too. I wonder… hum…

14. That’s really wonderful! :)

15. joy says:

OHH! I can’t wait to try this!!!

16. kristin says:

i love this!!! however, i have popcorn ceilings and am a renter :(

17. mr. peacock says:

Thank you for the nice comments.! I’m happy it’s inspired everyone! Send me your photos of your decoupage ceilings— I’d love to see your creations. It’s just a “wash” of glue over the images, so if you rent—you can remove them with some hot water and elbow grease and “dampen” them off. You can do a sample test with one image—just so you feel assured that you can remove them. Another option, would be simply gluing your images without decoupaging them, however, over time, the humidity and moisture in the air will make the xeroxes start to peel off around the edges, but maybe by then you’ll be bored with it. Happy decoupaging!!!

18. eileen Towns says:

I’m getting started this weekend – love it!!

19. Devi says:

Gorgeous ceiling!! I love to stare at the ceiling – what a great idea!

20. Janice says:

I just discovered this blog. What beautiful and inspiring project. I can’t wait to get started on this.
    Thank You for the wonderful idea.

21. Christine MEndenhall says:

Redid my bathroom in black and white. Decoupaged a victorian garden scene on the toliet lid. Now everyone wants to keep the lid down so the picture shows!

22. Paulina says:

La idea es increíble!!, me encanta el efecto! felicidades

23. Donna says:

use fabric and liquid starch in your rental. I’ve cut out flowers and used the liquid starch in my bathroom, and the didn’t come down for two years – until I pulled them off to change motiffs – have niece and granddaughter do the cutting out – fun project for us.