david stark interview + diy project

85.JPG
the other day i hopped on the F train and headed over to carroll gardens to visit my favorite event planner of all time, david stark. i’ve been watching (and blogging) david’s work for a while now and thought he would be perfect or the next installment of the d*s video series. thankfully david was game and let us into his studio for the afternoon to talk about his work, his philosophies on design and to share a fantastic diy project inspired by his recent work for the whitney gala. there are two separate videos here (one interview, one diy project) so just click “play” below on each of them to watch. i hope you’ll enjoy them! thanks to david and everyone at his team for their help and for welcoming us so warmly into their busy studio.

[ps: click here to see a tour of david’s beautiful, and colorful, brooklyn home]

PART ONE: Interview with David Stark

PART TWO: Slide sheet DIY Project with David Stark

1. Rachel says:

WOW! I’m really enjoying all of the fabulous DIY’s lately! I’ll be linking to these!

2. Michelle says:

these videos looked great! and i love the project idea…

3. RID says:

Great! so nice project!!!

4. Amanda says:

I love this luminaria idea — I could see it being a fabulous way to line a wedding aisle or to bring color to a drab space like a bathroom. I’m excited to try it out!

5. Sarah Lee says:

Love the videos! Love David Stark! Love the DIY! All of these are great assets to the site!

6. Catherine says:

Grace, the addition of video is great! So fun to see you and the phenomenal guests in action. A tremendous asset to the site.

Thanks for all your work.

7. Tara says:

Can anyone help me? I looked at the photos of the apartment & I love the covers on the bertoia chairs. I’ve been looking for covers for mine forever – does anyone know where to get them or are they custom made?

8. dana says:

Grace, these were great! Thank you so much. Okay, now I have to ask…where did you get your blouse? It’s fabulous.

9. grace says:

thanks guys! david is fantastic and i hope to do more videos with him in the future. he’s chock-full of great ideas.

dana, my dress is from steven alan in manhattan. it’s at the dry cleaner so i dont have the label in front of me, but i dont think it’s a steven alan brand.

10. liz says:

Tara, Are you talking about the wire chairs with the lime green covers? Around the dining table? Those are Eames chairs with “bikini” covers.

11. meg says:

does the vase need to be a certain diameter for the slide sheet to fit around it so perfectly? if i used a drinking glass, i would have to either cut or overlap the slide sheet, which probably wouldn’t look right (since all the squares wouldn’t be the same size anymore)….any thoughts?

12. grace says:

meg

definitely- i would check your local 99 cent store to find some inexpensive glasses in a wide range of sizes. i found some perfect ones at my local target sale rack that fit a slide sheet for like $5 each :)

grace

13. Cathy says:

What a great idea to use slide sleeves and inexpensive paper swatches as luminaries. Your video really captured the differences a warm or cool light source makes.

Wouldn’t it be fun to add a message or a monogram!

Thanks Grace & David~ Cathy

14. Blake says:

Grace—I love the videos and the clarity

15. liz says:

I love the addition of the video content to your site, Grace. It adds a whole new layer. I was also very excited to see David Stark’s diy project – fantastic idea!

16. I am so excited you are doing videos now. Congrats on the new aspect to your site.

17. Stylechica says:

I loved the luminaries, great idea and they are so graphic. Really pretty. And yes, I liked your dress too–cheers…

18. I’m such a David Stark addict – his ideas are always so creative!

19. Denise Fontaine says:

Awesome project! I need help! I moved into a cottage but has dark knotty pine paneling! Yuck! I am a renter and cannot paint Help!

20. laura says:

I love these! Just wondering where I would get these photo slide sheets/sleeves from??

Thanks!!

21. I LOVE this video series. I’m definitely going to try the Slide Sheet candle holders for my scented soy candles. I’ll send you a picture when I’m done. Thanks so much for doing this!

22. Vicki says:

I have come to look forward to your postings and liked this DIY a lot!