budget-friendly: sweet anthem perfume

i’m not normally a perfume person but lately i’ve become obsessed with finding a signature scent. mostly because i’m a big believer in aromatherapy and the cost of small perfumes can more often than not be totally affordable. one of the brands i’m loving right now is sweet anthem perfumes. these handcrafted perfumes are made by meredith tucker in seattle (using locally brewed ingredients) and smell positively divine. and the simple, but cute, packaging is perfect for gifts- just tie a pretty bow around them and make someone’s day with a special scent. click here for more information and to shop online (perfumes range from $1.50-$4.00).

1. i’m very VERY picky about scents – as in, i pretty much hate anything that smells like perfume – and for years was obsessed with finding a “signature scent.” after all that hunting, what did i finally end up with? a scent by bath & body works. kind of embarrassing, but its the only thing i can stomach! good luck with your hunt :)

2. Susana says:

It has surprised me to see someone I know featured this, but it shouldn’t be a surprise since it’s Meredith, and her sense of style is flawless – and so her perfumery must have the same flawlessness of her aesthetics. Mere, best wishes from Venezuela. xo

3. Kristan says:

I too like the idea of a “signature scent,” which is hard to claim when you’re buying perfume from Macy’s like everyone else and their moms. I also like the humble but cute label on these bottles. :)

4. Molly says:

Also worth a smell is Christopher Brosius, a perfumer out of Williamsburg, Brooklyn. His Manifesto is “I hate perfume,” and his products are all water or oil based.

5. lucy says:

That price works for me. Thanks for the tip.

6. Meredith says:

THANK YOU so much for the glowing review. You have made my week. :)

@Susana – Girl, I miss you! And thank you for all the sweet words!

7. kristin says:

great gift suggestion! thanks so much

8. Molly S. says:

I, too, have been looking for a “signature scent” for years. I found it in one of Sweet Anthem’s “Election” sample packs (the deliciously warm and sweet scented “Emily,” for those who are curious).

Meredith’s perfumes are absolutely amazing, and I’m ecstatic to see her featured here (congrats again, Mere!).

9. brand-eye says:

i tried to order the sample of 4 and it’s sold out. i’ll make her a favorite so that i don’t forget to come back at a later time.

10. brand-eye says:

oh nevermind, somehow the quantity switched to zero, that was the problem. just ordered!

11. Emily says:

Yes! Glad to see that I’m not the only one. Perhaps I will try some! Thanks!

12. Nina says:

I am so wanting one right now!

13. Julee says:

I just reserved and order through etsy and I have high expectations, I have the scent glands of a bloodhound and cannot wear perfume nor tolerate it on others because I get an instant migraine, single or simple notes seem to be less bothersome. I am also going to check out the other suggestions here.

14. Tea says:

Mere is a good internet friend of mine and I’m not a big perfume fan, but I ordered from her to support a friend– and left myself in her hands as far as what to mail me. I’m loving them so far and I’m thrilled to see a great review of her stuff!

15. Christy says:

Oh I’m so excited to try one of these! It’s perfect for my student budget. I just hate the idea of wearing the same smells as everyone else. And YAY for Seattle girls!

16. Beth says:

I ordered a trial pack 2 days ago after reading this post and checking her etsy site- the scents sound really simple and clean, and I can’t wait till they arrive!

17. Lucia says:

I’ve also been searching for a “signature scent.” I hate going in perfume shops because the scent inside is usually strong enough to give me an instant headache… will try this, thanks!

18. lucy says:

I’m sorry to say I really wasn’t a fan of the sample pack – I really was excited for it! I’ll be sticking with Kiehls grapfruit perfume oil – my favorite.

19. Jenn says:

Thank you for this very nice review. I will order a trial pack.

20. shannon says:

Also mildly allergic to perfume, highly sensitive to scents. Picked up a small bottle of Anna Sui at Anthropologie and it’s light enough to not give me a headache, and very yummy! Wanted to throw in another option for other perfume haters.