Welcome, Dave from Grain Edit!

Hi everyone and thanks Grace for having me! My name is Dave Cuzner and I publish a fun little blog called Grain Edit. Grain edit is focused on classic design work from the 1950s-1970s and contemporary designers that draw inspiration from that time period. I thought for this week I would share some of the things that inspire me as well other random musings that pop up along the way.

To start things off, I dug up a German Advent calendar from my collection. When I first found this I didn’t want to open the doors under each number, because it was perfectly sealed. Well, that didn’t last long! I was pleasantly surprised to find these cool illustrations influenced by German Folk Art and Polish Wycinanki style paper cutting. I could easily see Alexander Girard creating something like this. The choice of colors and use of folk art seem right up his alley.

1. Stratos says:

I love this! I only had the chocolate ones until now…

2. carolyn says:

Ohhh, I’d love to see more of these!!

3. jHill says:

this is the coolest advent calendar i’ve ever seen! i love it!

4. sarah says:

This is lovely, thanks for sharing Dave! Oh, and nice pipe. ;)

5. dave says:

Thanks for the great comments. It’s a really fun Advent calendar. I have a sneaking suspicion that behind each illustration is a brick of gold. Just a hunch.

6. Laura says:

Oh this is lovely, do you know what year it was made?

7. dave says:

Hi Laura,
    Unfortunately there isn’t a date listed.

8. Emily Craig says:

The wonderful thing about these calendars is that it’s always so difficult to wait to open them for the surprise behind each door, whether it’s a chocolate or a lovely illustration. In this case, I suppose we’re lucky that they’re 50-something year-old illustrations. What a delight. The star shapes are especially enjoyable. Thank you very much. See you on grain edit.

9. Dee says:

Really really like these.

10. kate Endle says:

Just discovered Grain Edit and I am now a HUGE fan!! I’ve been so inspired by it. This week’s guest blog has be super rad. Thanks, Dave, for highlighting so much talent.

11. Erica says:

Love these advent calendars and wish I could find some like it. They are just beautiful! Thanks for sharing!