sneak peek: christie chase

by

christiechase1.jpg
our second sneak peek of the day comes to us from christie chase and her husband tyler. their fantastic 1919 bungalow in the historic heights neighborhood nestled next to downtown houston received an honorable mention in jonathan adler happy chic home contest. lucky for us, christie was kind enough to open up the rest of her home for us today. i’m loving the way she incorporates great pops of color, and the the way textures and patterns weave their way through her home, clearly influenced by her background in fashion and fine arts. thanks so much to christie for opening up her home to us today! you can click here to view more, full-sized images of her place, and here to visit her new etsy shop. –anne

[in christie’s words: We have lived here for 5 years and have spent lots of time, elbow grease, (and $) renovating, updating and refurbishing our bungalow. We both love to do home projects and have learned so many different trades while working on this house. It is a never ending project, but we love living here. . . above: Most of the art on this wall are all things that friends and family have made. Included is a needlepoint of Aftrican Violets that my Mom made in the 70’s. I reframed everything to update the look. ]

christiechase2.jpg

This room is both my guest bedroom and my closet and vanity. Our bungalow is short on closet space, so I have tucked multiple wardrobes into the corners of this room.

christiechase3.jpg

Our bed is the ever famous MALM, but we changed it up by building a sofa table of sorts behind the headboard and repurposing the drawers from the MALM bedside tables .

christiechase4.jpg
My husband, my Dad and I made this floating dresser. Because of the space under it, it helps make our room feel bigger.

christiechase5.jpg
This clock I found at the Goodwill and I painted the frame and added a photo that I took. I love the printed glass, it gives it a three dimensional look

christiechase6.jpg
Inspired by the faux bois wood paneling that I saw on d*s sneak peek “something’s hiding in here” a few months ago, I added it to the walls and ceiling of my dining nook. I love it!

christiechase7.jpg

christie8.jpg
This red buffet which displays my Munny collection is the only piece of new furniture we have ever purchased. Pretty much everything else (outside of a few Ikea pieces) I got at a thrift shop and repurposed. The artwork is by me.

christie11.jpg

christie12.jpg
There are two central hallways connecting the 6 rooms in our house. This one you can see from almost every room, so I tried to turn it into pop art.

christie13.jpg

1. themssmiths says:

Incredible!!!!! love it all.

2. Chels says:

I love her bedroom, good inspiration for my husband…I’m trying to get him to agree on redoing our bedroom as a Christmas gift…wish me luck! I’ll post a picture on my blog, note the bedspread and art have changed.

3. xjeava says:

as i was saying: I love, LOVE, the black and cream wall. So elegant and it pops!!
    My other fave is the floating dresser…super fantastic ;)

4. Chels says:

Okay, I finally put the sad bedroom picture up! You’ll see that it looks as though we just moved in. Last week we just renewed our mortaged. Mind you this pic is about three years ago, but still pretty accurate.

5. Bethany Rose Hildenbrandi says:

This is awesome! I love the red buffet table and the grey paint.

Well done!

6. Mary says:

So great – would love to know where the amazing ceramic? pendant shade in the first image comes from?

Lovely.

7. Ceri says:

Oh WOW! I absolutely LOVE this house. It’s beautiful and SO elegant!

8. Pearl O says:

I love it all! Especially the first picture, with all the different art work displayed in frames & the beautiful yellow.gray pillows! So Beautiful!

9. Beverly says:

I was also wondering if you could tell me he paint color in the first pic? The one with all the pic frames. Thank you so much. Love the house great inspiration!

10. sunny says:

LOVE love love the artwork above the buffet. gorgeous photo!

11. Teresa says:

Christie, I am surprised that I found a pic of your buffet when I googled “red buffet” images. I was with a group of ladies on a Houston area home tour and got to see that great piece of furniture in person! I was curious about the paint technique, but your husband informed me that y’all had purchased it. I am a “thrift store junkie”, I search for pieces that can be refurbished and then sell them in a great store, Altar’d Market in Deer Park. Great home by the way… loaded with personality and talent!