sneak peek: birdie of dear ada

her name is birdie, but many of you may know her better as dear ada, her blog. it’s a wonderful tribute to someone very near and dear to her that she grew up with and shared a love for art, nature, design and culture. her passions are clear, and just as she showcases wonderful artists on her blog, many of them have also have made their way into her home and onto her walls in today’s sneak peek. click here for more, full-sized images, and stayed tuned for another stellar sneak peek at 1pm. [thanks, birdie!]anne

[above: We’ve kind of turned the uses of our rooms upside down in the house, especially since we opened up the large room overlooking the garden. So what used to be the dining room, is now a cozy den.  The chair we found at a garage sale down the street (love it) and the couch at a local antique store. We’re convinced it really should be in some 60’s-esque bachelor pad rather than our house but we’re not complaining. The woodcut above the chair was done by my uncle in the 1950s and the mobile, a gift from a good friend, is also from canoe.  The 2 photography books on the coffee table are by Ron Van Dongen.]

We recently remodeled 2 small bedrooms off a long dark hall into a big living/dining area.  Gardening is a big past time for both my husband and I, so we wanted to enjoy from the inside the outdoors we love so much.  We took down all the walls, put in a 10 foot long window and shortened the deck that ran the length of the 2 rooms so that we could look out over the garden all year round.

This is the view down what used to be the hall. The 3 etchings at the left of the wall are by Brian Aldrich and the large collage piece on the right is by Robert Yoder. The top assemblage on the facing wall next to the George Nelson lamp is by Lisa DeJohn and the small encaustic piece below is by Anne Siems.  At the far end of the hallway is a collection of black and white prints and paintings done by myself and friends.

The large woodcut on the hall wall is done by Jennifer Leong from Grass Hut here in Portland, where we also got the Lisa DeJohn piece.  The other 2 pieces are a couple of monotypes I did, the one on the left is the first pull, the one on the right is the ghost print of the first run.  And below is sweet Ruppert.

I love things simple and bold, neutral tones with a touch of bright makes my heart sing. The bedroom certainly expresses this preference. White and cream bedding with brown and cream pillow cases from Plover Organics bought at the lovely Ink & Peat here in Portland and the throw pillow was done by a talented friend. I love the pop of the kelly green modernica rocker against the glass green wall, always reminding me of spring even when it’s rainy and grey (which is often in the northwest to be sure).  The 3 little encaustic pieces are by Amy Ruppel and the embroidery piece is by Amy Karol.

Our dresser, again simple and plain, dressed up by an ever changing grouping of things I love. The painting on the far wall is by Claudio Tchsopp.

The other side of the very long bachelor pad couch has some art we love. The large piece on the left is by Mary Margaret Briggs, the lemons on the bottom left is by Claudio Tschopp, the small relief collage is by Janet Julian and the small figure is a pastel I did a few years ago.  I found the abstract painting on particle board at a 2nd hand store in Portland.

1. Words&Eggs says:

Umm, I would like that rug up top, please. Thank you.

2. lauran says:

love the color choices for your walls. inspiring!

3. maureen says:

hi! i love the table in the first photo. would you please tell us some details about it? absolutely beautiful home. thanks very much-

4. Elizabeth W says:

what can i say – i’m sobbing with envy!!! love the natural light, the layout, the furniture, artwork, the pooch, all of it. i really like the warmth of the wood in the bed, dining set and floors – the same warmth is given off by that yellow accent wall – whats the paint color? lovit lovit LOVIT!

5. Luphia says:

gorgeous home, i adore all the prints, especially that feature wall!

6. VisuaLingual says:

I love all the yellowish tones in this home, from the wood to the bright sunlight! Great collection of art, and I also really like the mix of bright colors in the bedroom. Very nice!

7. Anna says:

really beautiful! The new living space is an inspiration. Where did those sofas come from?

8. sian says:

i love dear ada! the woodcut of the two dogs is amazing.

9. kim@dti says:

Birdie, your home is so beautiful. I adore all the art, the colours and of course, your pooch.

10. Kristan says:

LOVE the 2nd photo!! Can I have that room?

11. Anne A Wong says:

I LOVE this sneak peak!!! and I’m a yellow hater, but for some reason it all comes together so well here… it almost makes me consider tossing all my dark furniture and replacing it with natural wood.
    Love the airy feeling and all the warm light…

12. amy marcella says:

this is exactly how i would imagine her home to look! I love it, and i love the light. i am a reader of dear ada, so it’s great to see how she applies her aesthetic. thanks for sharing !

13. These rooms are so nice and breezy! Very spring-like. Wish I could do this T_T

14. lulu says:

does anyone know where this lady lives? i tried to find on her blog to no avail. the light and tress are beautiful!

15. fabi says:

i definitely prefer those “real homes” sneak peaks!
    of course beauty is important, but life should be simple and kind, otherwise, it`s more show than life…

love this one! particularly the colourful spots!

16. zee says:

I’m a long-time follower of Dear Ada and like most, know zip about Birdie who writes it, so was so excited to see the home where she lives! So much lovely art, as expected. And gorgeous furniture and rugs and pooch too!

17. Suzanne says:

Wow! Awesome natural light in the rooms. They all evoke feelings of happiness. I love the incorporation of the four legged family members in both artwork and shown enjoying the spaces. Great artwork display throughout.

18. ak says:

i second words&eggs on the rug in the den in the top photo. LOVE it.

19. Sengelke says:

This is so going to be my house when I’m no longer a poor design student

20. julie says:

wonderful – you can see her great taste in her home too!!

21. kat says:

I third the rug comment.
    It’s EXACTLY what I’ve been looking for for my shop to muffle the sounds of little feet!
    You probably got it at some obscure flea market, but if it’s new, mind telling me where you found it?

22. Padma says:

Oh Wow! Its not 10/26 and I am finally checking this out. Love the sofa and daybed/chaise. I have been sofa hunting and it is really the style I am going for!
    Thanks for sharing.

23. chelsey says:

the light!!! i love the happy calmness

24. Jennifer says:

Love the oranges and greens. Also love the textures: smooth and cool leathers, light and airy blonde wood, plush velveteen.

25. richard says:

you have an ghostly orb in your couch.. have you ever detected any unseen presence in your place?

26. Katy says:

richard, THANK YOU. i came looking at the comments just to see if someone to mention that! are we just crazy?