sneak peek: abigail ahern

i still can’t get over how natural abigail ahern looks in her ahhhh-mazing home. doesn’t she just look like she belongs in the photo above? this british stylist and interior designer (and soon to be author) seriously knows what she’s doing and how to bring her own personal style to her projects. i’m loving her ability to mix eclectic elements while having fun, but not going overboard – very modern, but still so liveable. if what you see here isn’t enough to fill your fancy, click here for more, full-sized images, and of course there’s more great style at atelier abigail ahren. [thanks so much for sharing this incredible home of yours, abigail!] p.s. click here for all the beautiful sneak peeks.  –anne

[Me walking thru my space with a fire burning.  All fireplaces in the house work and in the winter there is always a fire on. . . The house was built in 1860, built over four floors and in a pretty derelict state when I bought it. I had just relocated from the States where I had worked as an interior designer for a young architectural practice in Birmingham, Michigan for 3 years, and they pretty much inspired the structure of how the house looked. They built some pretty amazing spaces (glass houses) over looking the great lakes – and I very much wanted to replicate the  indoor/outdoor feel. So we took the exterior wall out and put in glass over 2 floors, hence a very modern/traditional vibe which very much reflects the furniture and accessories.]

Labeled dining room but really isn’t its another space to sit and work as we generally eat downstairs on the lower ground floor. The ostrich table I love it makes me smile and we sell in the store, the table I sprayed glossy black and the chairs again from antique shops/flea markets.

Basement living room

Front living room – my painting (isn’t a painting at all it’s an old sign which I flipped over and its back a beautiful textural rust looks like a painting. The concrete chair is one of the first things I ever brought for the house – we had no money, no furniture and I brought this chair from one of my favourite stores called Mint in London -its all we had to sit on for a year.

Book wall – one of our biggest sellers is the book case wallpaper and its here on this chair that I catch up on emails in the evening or flick through magazines. I can see the kitchen and the rest of the lower ground floor from this vantage point and often sit with a glass of wine in the evening while things cook away. The chair is covered in pink mohair from George Smith and again heaps of texture from the floor cushion to the cushions on the chair.

Bathroom – being a huge fan of candlelight – the chandelier gets lit a lot. In the winter I light the fire and have the longest bath.

I am pretty crazy on texture which adds interest- so the woolen throw comes from Nicole Farhi in London, all the other textiles from my store. Vintage finds include the lamp and the rusty old chair (which my husband died at when I brought home). I love it, it peels and sheds rust all the time!

Basement – this in my dog Molly snoozing on her favorite chair. The pink coffee table is something I was trying out from the store.  Pieces continually evolve.

1. Laura says:

I had one of these growing up and loved it as well. I found a pattern for you at:

2. Allison says:

Where can I find those texture crazy ottomans/floor pillows? I adore them!

3. Stephan says:

What would one search for to find information about the wooden chair in the fourth picture?

4. Gypsy says:

Wow. I find this home a little bit intimidating because it is just so cool. Most impressive is how it’s TOTALLY over the top and yet utterly restrained at the same time.

5. Chad says:

I found a place to get those Convex mirrors, but they’re slightly more spendy than I’d like. I still love them though. Linked below is the 46″ one, but the prices drop significantly with the smaller sizes. Couldn’t find much else otherwise.

6. Amy says:

I LOVE muted neutrals with bursts of color, so her design is right up my alley. It’s perfect… I’m ready to move in.

7. detour2mode says:

wow..I want to live there!

8. Oh wow! I could just pack a suitcase and move straight in! I see myself in fabulous floor lenght vintage gowns, lounging on the sofas, warming up by the fire… ah dream…

9. Lola says:

I just loved it. It’s a wonderful feeling see this gorgeous home.

10. Anette says:

This is absolutely amazing! This is my dream home! Her eye for detail and ability to match and miss-match to create her own unique style blows me away.

11. Geri says:

Mind if I move in? You won’t even notice me….I’ve had this color on the corridors in my home and have been tempted to paint an entire room…but always pause with …” but when we go to sell it…the buyers will hate this…This way of thinking can be so limiting. Why is it that potential buyers have no imagination!

12. lauren says:

WOW! i mean, wow. as a designer myself i am not too easily impressed but this interior sends me over the moon. i am loving it!!!

13. ethanollie says:

although i can’t imagine living here, i could look at this space for hours. and grace, you’re right….as much as it is important to see real ,’livable’ spaces…as design lovers, having this form of inspiration is crucial.

she is a master with color…best i have seen in a long, long time.

14. Christine says:

Absolutely amazing! I love how everything has it’s own personality but still works together.

15. Mr. McGinnis says:

Where on her site is the wallpaper? Can’t find it…

16. miranda says:

absolutely stunning.

can anyone tell me what the figure sculpture is on the wall in the right of the first picture and the left of the third picture? it’s beautiful. i LOVE it.

17. angelune says:

the basement living room looks like a perfect candidate for the colors contest over at that’s what using color should look like, not all white/neutral with a red pillow… I absolutely love Abigail’s work.

18. Karen says:

Le Sigh! Totally how I would do my own house if I didn’t have a boy to “compromise” our tastes with…

Boys! Can’t live with them…

19. theresa says:

I wonder what her kitchen looks lik? Love the colors and chandeliers/lighting.

20. Norine says:

The shaggy rug poufs are so cool. Where to get?

21. Norine says:

Actually, I just went to Abigail’s website and found out where to get the shaggy rug poufs! And a lot of the other things depicted. Playing with scale that way is very brave, what a fun place to live.

22. HARIK says:

Combining contemporary and Classic
    well done!

23. Lindsey says:

oh. my. gosh. my life will not be complete until i own some of that wallpaper!

24. Natalie says:

Wow I’m so glad you posted this, as I discovered her when living in London through her store. Just love her!!..and now I’m back in Sydney where her store is no more :(

25. adwoa says:

i LOVE the textures. love love love love love. and i’m completely inspired now to make a chandelier like the one over the dining room table for my entryway!

26. AMAZING! I love how she plays with scale.

27. rachel says:

The paint color looks really similar to what we have in our living room (I love it by the way). Ours is Benjamin Moore “wolf”.

28. kim baise says:

Wow! It’s like home on another planet. Like nothing I’ve ever seen.
    Pinch me!

29. vesna says:

This home breathе with thoughtful and spontaneous freedom! I simply like it… a lot!

30. Alicia says:

Where can I find a chandelier like the one in the bathroom. I just love it!

31. leonardo says:

i love your dog

32. Bren says:

im moving in! do you have space. love the color palette.

33. Erna says:

simple, stylish ,classic ,fun inviting ,relax do come in and un wind ……..soooooooooooo comfortable .Arhhhhhhhh

34. vanessa says:

i would loooooove to see your storage solutionssss……:)

35. Maria says:

I have seen her home in a Swedish magazine before. Absolutely one of my all time favourites. But just to dream about, not inspiration for an ordinary flat. Exept for the use of colour – such rich colours, in great mix.

36. Donna says:

I once fainted in that very concrete chair.

37. Suzanne says:

This is one of the most AMAZING design peeks ever. This woman has got it!! So inspirational I have to get her book. A couple people asked about the round mirror over the fireplace and to my eye it looks like Abigail painted it the same matte grey as the wall. I have a big chunky mirror like this that I picked up for about $60. at a large national discount housewares store so I think this can be achieved on a small budget. Thank you for sharing this, it is total brain candy.

38. Suzanne says:

Well, I apologize. I just went to Abigail’s site and the mirror is now there and it looks like she didn’t paint it to match the wall shade and it’s a convex which my cheapy isn’t. Sorry, was just trying to help.

39. Lynn lee says:

amazing chandelier!!!!!love it

40. Dean says:

Where do I get the bookcase wallpaper!!! Please let me know!!!

41. karen says:

this looks like a fun place to live! Eye candy everywhere you look.

42. Saima says:

i am in complete AWE.

43. Temp says:

Bookmarked this article

44. Jim Waddington says:

Love the bookshelf wallpaper.
    Who makes the paper, I have not seen it in Australia.
    Would like to use it

45. Neeza says:

Where can I get that fab chandelier in the bathroom? Any ideas?

46. TipAM says:

Jim – try Empire Vintage in Oz for the Deborah Bowness bookcase wallpaper! Be warned, it’ll be pricey! :-)

47. TipAM says:

Oh & Neeza, Abigail sells that chandelier…GBP 2,500 & 10kg! :-)