“Say Goodnight Gracie!”

Holy Smokes, this week flew right by and we had a blast as guest bloggers. We’ll admit, we weren’t sure we were up for the task but we’re so glad we did it. Thanks so much for having us Grace, you have even inspired us to post more frequently on our own blog.

As we say our goodbyes we would like to leave you with these last little tidbits… First off, the winner of the Jenny Pennywood print. Drum roll please….. It’s Christine who gave the correct answer, Jen Garrido, on Monday. Congratulations!

Thanks for joining us on our mini tour of the Sunset Junction. We love our progressive neighborhood. We also hope you enjoyed a look at some of our favorite California artists too.

Now we all know the West Coast is known for being very liberal and with the election just around the corner we just had to draw some attention to this incredible project by one of our favorite ceramicists’ Ayumi Horie . Though not a West Coast artist we are loving everything about her Obamaware and the online fundraiser she will be hosting on October 15th. She & 27 other ceramicists will join forces in an online exhibition of Obama/Biden specific work, proceeds of which will benefit their campaign…”A convergence of the handmade aesthetic beloved by progressive Americans” says Sarah Archer, director of Greenwich House Pottery in NYC.

Speaking of the election, we have one last thing we’d like to mention… (and then we’ll stop talking, we promise!). ReForm School is MOVING! That’s right, On November 4th, Election Day, we will be opening up our new shop, just around the corner.. still in The Sunset Junction of course. It’s a big beautiful space and we absolutely cannot wait! There will be plenty of room for lots more goodies and beginning next year we will be introducing a roster of classes along with a beautiful assortment of materials and tools as part of a collaboration we are working on called Home Ec. with our pal Jenny Ryan of Felt Club and Craft Magazine. Not only will you be able to shop handmade you can learn to create it too. The classes will not be limited to sewing and embroidery, we will also offer an assortment of sustainable living workshops like composting and gardening for apartment dwellers to name a few.

Stay tuned for more and thanks so much for listening!

1. Sarah says:

Seriously, if one more “design” blog promotes Obama I am going to scream! Stick with design and stop weaving politics in your posts. Not everyone is voting your way!

2. grace says:

this is the first political post or comment d*s has ever posted in four years of blogging (and over 6,000 posts).

i have a policy of not discussing politics on the main site, but i welcome guest bloggers to speak freely.

i understand your concern but want to clarify that d*s does not frequently or even semi-frequently discuss politics. (and in this case the political story is tied to a ceramics show, which is indeed design-related)

3. Rachel says:

Oh those mugs are FABULOUS! Great design!

4. Thanks for posting about Obamaware–I administer a web site (called The Obama Craft Project) that’s tracking crafts of all sorts people are making in support of the Obama campaign, and will be linking to the Obamaware site once it’s live.

There’s a long history of political arts and crafts in America, and I think it’s remarkable, in light of that history, that this tradition has been revitalized during this election season. To me, this is extremely relevant to a design blog, since it’s a significant and important design phenomenon.

5. We knew we might ruffle a few feathers with the post but first and foremost it is beautiful design we were featuring and it is always inspiring to see artists coming together for a good cause (even if you do not neccesarily agree with that cause).

6. Plenty of design blogs talk about Christmas decorations. I guess that’s wrong, too? Religion and politics and all. Jeez…

Well, I think the pottery is pretty beautiful. I hopped over to the web site to check more of it out and was psyched to register for the online auction. Thanks for showcasing this talented and fun designer!

7. laura says:

is the new space where the den of antiquity was? congrats! i look forward to visiting. and those are the first and only politically-inclined mugs i’ve ever considered purchasing. thanks for the info!

8. Dangit— I JUST moved! I’ll have to catch the new space next time I visit, ladies— congrats! :)

9. Kikis says:

I love your store!! I’m in all the time and I think the classes will be the perfect extension of the ReForm School experience!! Can’t wait!!

10. susan b. says:

Congratulations on the beautiful new space, Billie and Tootie! I can’t wait to see it in person.

And I love the pottery – thanks for posting about that site and event. I’m excited to check it out!

11. Political or not, I have several of Ayumi’s pieces and they are absolutely amazing. I’m always happy to see the fine-art ceramics world pop up on here.

12. Yes, the new space is the Den Of Antiquity Space… we look forward to seeing you there!

13. Kristin says:

Oh that is a fabulous space to move in to! I cannot wait to visit and so pleased that you guys snatched up that location!

Conrgats & Weeeeee!

14. Susan says:

Jeez, late to the game, but let me just pipe in and say I AM THRILLED that DS included mention of the Obamaware auction, I think it’s totally appropriate to call attention to the ways in which craft intersect with the political world.