diy wednesdays: doily side table

a few years ago we were delighted to discover that most hardware and lumber stores carry a selection of tapered wooden table legs.  they come in a wide variety of heights, from 4” to 28”, which means you can easily make all sorts of tables (from bedside to dining room) out of just about anything. by using a paper doily as a stencil we were able to pretty up an 18” round piece of wood with some spray paint, to make a simple and unique side table.

click here for the full post or just click “read more” below.

happy crafting!
derek and lauren

here’s what you’ll need:

• 18″ pre-cut round plywood or mdf, available at lumber and hardware stores
  • two colors of spray paint
  • 10″ paper doily
  • blue painter’s tape (or low tack spray adhesive)
  • 4 tapered wood legs with hardware
  • screwdriver

1. paint your table top and legs with latex paint or spray paint and let dry.
2. place the paper doily in the middle of the table top and secure with a few rolls of painter’s tape. for a crisper edge, temporarily stick it to the tabletop with low tack spray adhesive
3. tape off the sides of the tabletop (optional) and apply an even coat of spray paint directly over the doily, trying not to get any paint underneath  its edges.
4. once the paint is dry, carefully remove the doily and blue tape.
5. attach the legs to the underside of your table 2″ in from the sides, using the provided hardware and screws.

1. elle says:

i know this isn’t the point of your post, but i LOVE the wallpaper in the first photo. beautiful

2. sarah says:

does anyone know where i can get that wallpaper?

3. carolin says:

this is so lovely! the doily stencil idea is great, and I really like how the table coordinates with that orla kiely wallpaper.

4. carolin says:

anthropology used to sell the wallpaper

5. Veeta says:

It’s Orla Kiely wallpaper, available at http://www.orlakiely.com.

(They sell that print in a duvet cover, but only through a UK dept store–I seriously need a trip to London!)

6. MsUnreliable says:

Gorgeous wallpaper and doilies, what more could a girl want?!

7. Jennifer says:

Love that wallpaper!

8. Amy says:

Love the table! Might go very well next to my sofa, a rehabilitated former victim of my cat, Solomon, and his extremely sharp claws…

9. I love this idea! so simple but I would’ve never thought about it… when are you guys writing a book? xoxo

10. Kristan says:

Cool idea! And I guess you could really change it from a doily to anything you might want stenciled there — outline of a dog, pattern cut out on paper, etc.

11. Marik says:

Love your site; Is amazing.

I an animal activist in Mexico, but my second passion is design!

Regards

12. Mini says:

I actually was JUST doing this same thing over the weekend (crazy timing) and my table is wobbly. I used four 28″ tapered legs, the straight brackets, and a 40″x23″ Ikea table top. Anyone have a suggestion on making it sturdy? I’ve used the short version of those legs before without wobbles. The table top is very light, but I doubt that would make much difference. Help!! Thanks!

13. OH MY GOSH! SO COOL! I loved to make all kinds of things with doilys when I was little!
    And…teal seems to be becoming a huge color trend as well!

14. FC says:

What a GREAT idea!!!! I love it. looks like a Weekend project that I’ll have to plan soon :)

15. Elizabeth says:

I have that wallpaper! For us folks in the US, you can buy it through anthropologie.

16. jenny says:

Hallmark actually sells gift wrap that’s similar(-ish) to the wallpaper.

If that link doesn’t work, it’s their “Garden Safari” collection. I prefer the green & white gift wrap, without the blue flowers.

17. This is so creative!! I like the combination of the side table and the wall paper. I do not know this simple creativity by your own make your home unique and beautiful. thanks for sharing.

18. Lisa says:

How do you get the center of the design filled in if the doily is solid in the center?