diy wednesdays: bookend wall bracket

holy moly!! this post marks our 1 year anniversary of doing diy projects here at design*sponge! boy how time flies!! we just want to say it’s been such a huge privilege and pleasure sharing our weekly projects with you.

continuing with last week’s idea of re-purposing an every day object by giving it a little flip, we took one of our favorite households items (a metal bookend) drilled 2 holes in it, and mounted it on the wall. it works great as a sconce for a flower vase, a spot for a small stack of books, or simply another fun way to show off a couple of your favorite knick knacks. click here for the full post or just click “read more” below.

(the gift wrap in these photos is by julia rothman for hello lucky!)

have fun!
derek & lauren

Bookend Wall Bracket

-here’s what you’ll need:
-drill with small bit (we used 1/4″)
-wall anchors (optional)

1. drill 2 holes in your bookend, one above the “shelf” and one below.
2. mark the place on the wall where you want to mount it.
3. pre-drill the holes for the wall, and insert your wall anchors, if necessary.
4. attach the bookend to the wall with 2 screws.

1. Tracy says:

For some reason we have 4 of these type bookends lying around in our house… what a fantastic idea!

2. Cortnie says:

Love that idea – and the wallpaper too!

3. Another genius idea.

4. Mandy Ford says:

I did this in our master bathroom a few years ago with some silver bookends…love this look as well, especially the woodgrain against that beautiful wallpaper.

5. Tiffany says:

Another totally amazing idea! I love that you’ve been re-purposing everyday items.

6. Frida says:

Congratulations on you anniversary. I love your posts!

7. ABPryor says:

How clever is that?

8. I thought i recognized that “wallpaper”! Clever idea for a bookend – (but I like the wallpaper much better :)

9. Catherine says:

This is the coolest use of a bookend that I’ve ever seen… i’ve got a few of these around somewhere. I will have to pull them out and repurpose them!

10. DialJforJake says:

I am in LOVE with the wallpaper…. anyone know where I can get it??

11. juliette c. says:

I adore those cosmea flowers!

12. Elizabeth W says:

what a creative and multifunctional idea – this would be nifty to have next to your doorway on which to hang your umbrellas!

13. e.b. says:

where is the bookend from? i know i’ve seen those before…

14. Claire says:

GOOD IDEA !!! and also that could be used to place a cat, a baby or a dog for a while when you need a few quiet moments….

15. Meanda says:

I have so many of these and now a good idea for how to use them again.

16. Astha Butail says:

so slick clever and smart.

17. Nate says:

I’m having trouble drilling through the metal bookend. The one I have is black metal, and it seems to be resisting the drill quite well. Any suggestions?

18. Lisa says:

Great project! Could you please tell me what kind of vase that is? It fits so perfectly! Thanks.

19. Wow! Brilliant project. A metal bookends turns into a sconce for a flower vase and looks great!

20. It’s very imaginative. It don’t looks like a sconce but a bookends. But as yo did make the bookends two in one. Everyone would like to see this.