Children’s Books

Before I get started, I thought I would mention that we are having a big Giveaway on Grain Edit to celebrate our 1 year anniversary. Were giving away prizes from Matte Stephens, Julia Rothman, Petit Collage and Wayne Pate to name a few. It’s quick, easy and free to enter. You can see all the details here.

Ok, moving on. I love to look at Children’s books from the 1950s and 60s. I love the flat, often 2-3 color illustrations. Today I decided to dig up a children’s book entitled thomas written by Mary Harris and illustrated by Cliff Roberts in 1956. The book tells the story of a young girl and her cat thomas and the adventures/trouble they get into. My copy is in German, but there is an English version as well. This is one of my personal favorites, so I hope you enjoy it.

1. Rikkianne says:

I adore vintage Children’s books also! Thomas is amazing :) I have never seen that one before. Thank you!

I collect vintage, block printed ones also. They are really cool because they not only have that 60’s feel but they also hang on to the handmade quality due to the carvings…..

2. Fransåsa says:

Very lovely little book, and a cute little aby too (I have two myself). The most adorable cat breed.

3. sarah k. says:

What a beautiful book! I love the teeny-tiny legs, the whole stylization of the cat.

4. Faith says:

I love those illustrations – I am now scouring Goodwills/garage sales to find some of the vintage Sasek travel books.

5. Stratos says:

Lovely book and lovely cat!

6. Janet says:

That cat is adorable. My bedroom when I was little was decoated with pink and white stripe and little black cats. I loved it.

7. dave says:

I love abys ! Twig is the name of ours and shes a real troublemaker. Shes loves to climb and runaround the house.

8. I love these – I have a whole flickr set of my own from a free-for-all at my church library.

9. Maria says:

That last picture made me laugh out loud! So cute..thanks for sharing.

10. alivicwil says:

I love that it’s spelled out on the cover – ein kinderbuch… In case we couldn’t tell by the picture that it wasn’t intended for adults!

11. Laura says:

Thats so lovely, i love the end picture – the cats expressions are the same!

12. linda says:

The illustrations are wonderful ~~everything old is new again. The naive fluidity of the art combined with the featured colors is real eye candy for me. Thanks for sharing.

13. as always… impeccable taste. bravo!

14. rob says:

Thanks for sharing these illustrations. They are very inspiring. I love that style as well.

15. swankola says:

I’m with Faith – I love the Sasek books and scan the spines of picture books at goodwill to find them. Children’s books from the 50s & 60s are becoming increasingly rare at thrifts I’m afraid.

16. thedoglived says:

This book is stunning, I must get to see a copy in the flesh.
    Thanks for showing it.
    I have a few old books that I will endevor to share on my blog after seeing this.

17. Hee hee. How’d you get your cat to pose like that? Love the style.

18. jmuhj says:

OMG they are adorable. Both your Aby cat, and the book.

19. Eric says: