sneak peek: uhuru design

by

u1.jpgtoday’s special tuesday sneak peek is into the home of bill hilgendorf and maria cristina rueda (and their cats, as you will see!) of the design + build furniture company uhuru design. their carroll gardens home is a wonderful collaboration showcasing many projects the two have worked on together. thanks to bill and maria for opening up their place for us! click here for more, full-sized images and here to see more of their work showcasing sustainable design. -anne

[Above: Convex spy mirror clock with clip art tiled Victorian frame.]

u2.jpg
When we are not at the shop or cooking in the kitchen we spend most of our time working and hanging out here.

u3.jpg
Our Cats, Athila and Miles on the Kittyloft that we built for them to exercise. It is carpeted so they can scratch to their hearts delight.

u4.jpg
Marimekko textile, 1×3 bed steel frame, cotton webbing. Mug lamp with victorian ornament frame.

u5.jpg
Checker floor, polka dot curtain and plants on windowsill.u6.jpg
Framed Bamboo forest photo mural. Bilge lounge chair made from recycled bourbon barrels and truck springs.

u7.jpg
With 9 big windows there is no excuse not to have plants everywhere! Screen printed pillows with classic chair silhouettes our first venture in soft goods.

u8.jpg
Using vertical space for storage. Recycled and re configured from our old apartment.

1. megan says:

wow, i LOVE this — this sneak peek is really speaking to me right now. thank you for sharing!

2. ThePeachTree says:

Oh to be a kitty upon that loft….

3. kim says:

beautiful. and wow, your kittens are disciplined. mine would have eaten all of those plants, climbed that kittyloft and jumped (or more likely fallen) off of it breaking everything that came in their way.

4. Loora says:

The bed, the giant framed mural, the kitty loft are just so inspired !! I’m in love.

The kitty loft is a great (and easy ?) DIY project ! If only I had a cat…

5. Susana says:

the kittyloft is AWESOME!

6. kara says:

LOVE LOVE LOVE the kitty walk! I’ve been working on building something like this for our two cats. Can you tell me how it is attached it to the wall?
    Thanks!

7. Laura says:

love love LOVE that painting over the bed. Where oh where is it from?

8. crystela says:

I love the kitty walk! How’d you do it????

9. Liane Tyrrel says:

Is it crazy that I check in with design sponge throughout the day for the latest upload?? Love your blog and especially the sneak peeks. This one is a little quirky and bold with the giant artwork and wall collage. Wonderful! Now stop posting so many goodies so I can get some work done :)

10. Cortnie says:

I have to agree with everyone else about the Kittyloft. It’s not often you can find kitty scratchers/climbers that are modern and in good taste! The rest of the apartment is fabulous too!

11. Chipster says:

I´m sure this aparment smells like fresh cookies !!

12. Kim Gray says:

LOVE the cushions!

13. Charlotte says:

Loora, you can make one for my cat. Just kidding… love it, though.

14. queenpretty says:

Just ship your dining table directly to my apt. I’ll send you the address.

15. Yolanda says:

Love the Kittyloft, if you could provide a DIY that would be amazing.

16. Jane says:

I have the marimekko birch tree fabric hanging on the wall by my bed too! I adore it.

17. Jung says:

Love the Marimekko fabric above the bed and WHERE can I get those screen printed pillows?!

18. Laura says:

Yes, please. Instructions for the Kittyloft. I love it! And my kitty would too…

19. Danielle says:

I love those classic designer chair pillows! Where can I get them?!

20. Sara says:

That kitty is beyond cute! I wish mine would sit still for such a beautiful photo.
    Of course, I love the kittyloft, but the Marimekko textile over the bed is gorgeous, too!

21. tacho says:

really ………good taste!!!!!

22. Chere says:

I love that kitty! looks like my cat!

23. Anna says:

Argh.. i miss my cats!
    i cant wait to go back home to them in melbourne in less than two months!
    and when i move out again- i am definately building one of those runs- its amazing- your cat must love it!! And the large bamboo forest painting is rad!

24. Toni says:

Of all things… the bread box keeps getting my attention! I’ve been into a lot of antique stores looking for something original like that! Great space… love the foliage!!

25. molly says:

Oh. My. God. the kitty loft. That is 100% brilliant.

26. I love what they did around the mirror…genius!

27. Gwen says:

I’ve just recently discovered this site, and have quickly become addicted. This particular article caught my eye, because of the blue rocking chair in the second photo. I happened to come across the exact same style of chair while driving through my neighborhood recently. Can anyone give me information on it? Did they customize theirs at all? Mine appears to have orginal finishes- varnished rockers, chrome legs and neutral fiberglass.

28. currystrumpet says:

that kittyloft is amazing! bravo!

29. Karen says:

love the mirror, the painting over the bed, the overall creative feel (and kittyloft) of course if you have clumsy/mischeivous cats like kim you might have to build it differently, which is what i LOVE about doing it yourself ;o)

30. Jamie says:

i love the polka dot shower curtain! where can i find one?
    & the clip art mirror is amazing!!

31. Oh, I think this picture of the trees is so fabulous…the indoor outdoor thing. I love the frame and its fullness…
    of course I also love the kitty.

32. fabframes says:

Whee!!! The tiled paper “frame” for the mirror is the awesomest thing I’ve seen all week! That is sheer genius, and a fair amount of wit, too! I also love the gigantic photomural, and especially its frame. What a fun home!

33. Gorgeous home!!!! I love the whimsical elements and use of non-traditional objects..the stairs are fantastic, as are the dramatic proportions of the decor elements. I love it!

34. joan cairney says:

Great.
    Can you tell me how you attached the kitty loft stair and the dimensions. It is too wonderful, plus YELLOW.
    j

35. Paulina says:

Muy lindo y agradable! El manejo del espacio, la selección de los objetos y el Verde presente me encantó.

36. Cecilia de Echeverri says:

Maria, que maravilla de apartamento, la envidia de mi marido y mia. Estamos felices con tus exitos. Besos Cecilia y Hernando Echeerri

37. queenpretty says:

GWEN- you may have found a true gem. Read…http://www.retromodern.com/item_detail.asp?7700

38. Hey Everyone, Thanks for the great comments. As a designer there is nothing nicer than to hear that people appreciate your home. To answer some questions: The kitty loft is made from formaldehyde free MDF, and screwed and glued together painted and attached with small “L” brackets discretely placed below and above the sight line. It has adhesive felt pads on the stairs and it is carpeted on the strait sections. The stair treads are 6X8 and the height is 7″. You can get everything for the kitty loft at lowes or home depot. The pillows we will have up for sale on uhurudesign.com in the next few months, when we launch the e-commerce site. I can’t remember where the shower curtain is from, but I think it is Johnathan Adler.
    Thanks again for all the positive feedback.
    Bill and Cristina

39. StephD says:

Can you please share how you repurposed those stunning vertical cabinets? Amazing, I could use those in every room!!

40. Kristan says:

LOVE the three photos starting with the cute kitty. :)

41. Su prima Nancy says:

Techita,
    Wow! Que impressive! And to think the last time I saw you was in Colombia eating empanadas with Marcella and Mimea. What an honor to be related to someone with such good, no fantastic taste. Michael and I just took the second floor off of our cottage in Gloucester and are reconstructing for a little more space and better designed space. No cats but a dog, Jack, who already has determined a certain window to be his silla del rey. Felicidades! La familia should be so proud.

42. Carrie-Lynn says:

Wow! So many design articles with photos look too showcase-y to be LIVE-ABLE. Yours, however, looks as though to say, “Come in and enjoy our space as much as we do!” Bravo on your colors and light! And who took the marvelous photographs?

43. Diana and Henry Kwant/cousins in Florida says:

What a dynamite place, very clever, I love the barrel chair and the bamboo painting would love both for my home. Glad everything is going well in NYC we will look you up when we come visit. Love The Kwants your cousins from Florida P.S. Love the Kitty loft very very unique. Where are the boxers???

44. Marissa says:

I love the Cat Ramp! have you ever given instructions on here on how to build one? My cats would be so happy.

45. markus says:

Hi! where did you get the lovely bed?