sneak peek: swissmiss

for over a year now, swissmiss has been one of my favorite stops for daily inspiration. authored by designer tina roth eisenberg, she always has the best finds, which clearly are rooted in her swiss upbringing. as hard as i try, i know i for one will never be able to pull off the minimalist, less is more look (i have too much stuff), but that won’t stop me from loving the home tina shares with her husband and daughter in this great sneak peek! thanks so much to tina for opening up her home to us! and don’t forget to click here to see what inspiration she’s cooked up today. –anne

[We moved into our current place in february 2008, it’s a 2 bedroom, 2 bathroom, brandnew construction in boerum hill, overlooking smith street. G and I are both minimalists when it comes to decorating. We definitely believe in less is more.]

The coffee table in the living room is one of these pieces of furniture that are perfect for both kids and grown ups. It’s the perfect height for Ella to draw at and still stylish enough for use to use as a coffee table. (bought at design Our favorite pieces in the living room are the little Cosco Booster (Car) Seats from the 1960s. Our little Ella (2.5y) loves to sit in them. Whenver she wants to wach a show on tv (which actually is that little laptop you see on that wooden stool) she pulls one of them out and places it right in front of it.

[Brooklyn Ork Poster]

Ella’s room is super bright. Lots of whites and reds dominate her space. She has a bunkbed to accommodate guests or a potential sibling at one point.

Our favorite two pieces in the bedroom are our Giraffe Renee and the huge Peugeot print on the wall. We didn’t register for gifts when we got married but instead set up an art fund. People gave us money towards art pieces. The poster is one of them. So is the horse print in the living room.

We have a little desk in the bedroom, tucked away behind the door, that lets us work from home whenever necessary. There’s a drawer that pulls out and doubles the desk’s surface. G and I didn’t want to have a big tv overpowering the entire living room so we opted for hooking up our cable books into the laptop. It works like a charm. Plus, we never watch tv! (But we both get sucked into the internet every night, yes, we admit that)

1. swissmiss says:

The bedside tables were custom made by Brooklyn Based designer Rick Lewis ( The rug was from but is no longer available, I think. The numbers are from a vintage sign store on atlantic avenue in brooklyn, between smith and hoyt street.

2. mod*mom says:

yay swissmiss mommy tina + ella!

i’m your huge fan too :)

i admire your minimalism,

3. XuXu says:

Your beautiful home makes me miss Brooklyn. I love the white shelves – perfect for my daughter’s room. Could you please tell me where you got them?

4. gdragon says:

Is that a custom bathroom vanity? I’ve been looking everywhere for such a vanity to remodel my bathroom.

5. magstermash says:

I love it so much!

You seem to make great use of your space.

I love the black shelves with all the books stacked on top of one another. Where did you get it?

6. Carla says:

I L-O-V-E the Cosco Booster (Car) Seats…where would I find those? I’m off to do a google search but figured I’d ask first. They’re my new obsession!

7. Slohi says:

Love the glimpse into your home. You have done a wonderful job with the asethetic appeal! Where did you get the poster/print that we can see in the mirror in your bathroom pic? (Not the Ork poster :-))

8. sunny says:

LOVE the bathroom. The order, the simplicity…it’s beautiful.
    I love all the rooms actually. Well done!

9. Jenny says:

I love the rug in the first bedroom! Where is it from?

Very inspiring place!

10. Christie says:

Where did you get the eye chart in your bathroom? Thanks.

11. Kristan says:

Love love LOVE the giraffe! And the frog in the bathroom. And the bathroom sink is WAY cool. And that last photo is GORGEOUS.

12. Rebecca says:

I believe that giraffe is from Anthropologie. I am on the visual team there and we had those in for spring ’08. It looks identical to ours although tina’s may be a more authentic version.

13. Laura says:

Where are the bedroom lamps from (on bediside table?) And the colors on walls, in bedroom and living room? I Love this home. As a former Carroll Gardens resident, I know how hard it is to manage a small space with children.

14. Cherie says:

I love your house. Can you tell me where the bookcase is from in your daugther’s room and also where you got that fabulous play stove? Thanks!

15. waw!! I like the fact the numbers and colors placing at the right places..good environtment for kids

16. Josh says:

Tina –
    Great looking home, i think Ella’s room would be fine for me, i’m a sucker for big numbers.

Also love the hairy monster print. Loved when you posted about it on your blog but then was sad to find out it was already sold out. It looks amazing hung up.

17. JoshB says:

Love it! Does anyone happen to know the source for the Peugeot print? I have the perfect place for it!

18. swissmiss says:

The lamps are from IKEA, the Peugeot print was from a poster store on west broadway in tribeca, manhattan, the bookcases in Ella’s room are from DWR and the paint in our bedroom is from Sherwin Williams but I don’t remember the name of the color. I hope I covered it all now. Thanks everyone!

19. Julia's mama says:

I check swissmiss blog everyda and this is my favorite sneak peak so far. I love your sofa. Would you tell me where did you get the sofa?

20. JoshB says:

Tina – you’ve been soooo gracious in providing all your sources, so I hate to ask one more question, but, here goes: can you give us the poster store name and ph#/address in Tribeca? I have got to have that Peugeot poster!

21. olha says:

this is a sily question, but where did you get your bed (in the bedroom)? it looks just right for not too large spaces and low enough for a kid to jump in (I’ve got a two year old as well to accommodate)

22. swissmiss says:

bed = DWR, Ha, this is hilarious. The poster store name is “Philip Williams”, the sofa is from westelm. Ha, I think l have now pointed out every single item in our home! swissmiss

23. Cherie says:

You didn’t tell me which brand the play stove is :)

24. KimO says:

Beautiful inspiring space! Just like Tina.

25. swissmiss says:

cherie: the play stove is from haba.

26. Cherie says:

27. Sophie S says:

Mmmmm, beautiful calm and light. If I didn’t have so much stuff……

28. Nicole says:

I am sorry for bothering you with another question: where did you get the poster from 702design “FutaKi Fabric”? Your ideas are marvellous, thank you so much for sharing them..

29. Alison says:

I absolutely love it!!

30. chris says:

where did you get the awesome modern step stool? i have never seen one that looks as good as it is functional. please please let me know.

31. Lauren says:

David Pollack at currently has a small version of the Peugeot poster as well as lots of other great art.

32. Jennifer says:

I adore the elephant, but I adore more so the BROOKLYN poster above the toilet, what a better time to think about a love left behind than when sitting on the toilet… ;)

33. LizR says:

I always come back to this sneak peak…love it. Can you tell me what the ‘eye chart’ reflected in the bathroom mirror says and where it came from???Thanks

34. danielle says:

Where do you keep all your STUFF?!

35. Do you mind if I quote a few of your articles as long as I provide credit and sources back to your weblog? My blog site is in the very same area of interest as yours and my visitors would genuinely benefit from a lot of the information you present here. Please let me know if this okay with you. Cheers!

36. joelle says:

where are the “123”numbers from?

37. jennifer says:

its kinda late but… where did u buy that cute little desk? it would fit just perfectly in my room.