sneak peek: meredith kleinman

by

meredith1.jpg
today’s special thursday edition sneak peek comes to us from 3rd place winner in the lena corwin printing by hand pattern contest, meredith kleinman.  meredith is an interior designer and decorative painter based in los angeles. according to her, her style has “leaned toward the hands on approach– not only  for financial reasons, but because  it looks more personal and i love the imperfections of things done by hand. as a result, a whole lot of stuff in my house was made and painted by me or my boyfriend.” thanks so much for sharing your inspiring home, meredith! (all i know is that i want my own japanese sanctuary in my backyard too!) you can find more of her work here, and there are lots more images of her home here. –anne

meredith3.jpg
The floral painted walls in the entryway are a smaller scale version of designer Kim Parker’s rug called Mums and Asters. I love her designs, and as soon as I saw her rug, I immediately wanted it on my entry walls.  Six years later, though, and after redoing the room adjacent to it, I’ve decided I’m going to paint it over with a plaid pattern. : (

meredith4.jpg
Our bedroom: I used to sleep in what is now the guestroom, but when my boyfriend moved in, we wanted a king sized bed so we switched to this larger room. Making the bed frame was one of his projects. The sideboard is from ikea, and I switched out the hardware, and put a collection of some of my favorite things on it.

meredith5.jpg
I bought this 1953 ranch house six years ago.  I’ve always been partial to one room living, so one of the first things I did when I bought my house was knock down some walls and ceilings. Now it’s sort of a living room, office, kitchen, and dining room. After doing that, I didn’t have a lot of options for a TV, so I designed it into the partition wall and made it so it would spin around.

bathroom-2.jpg
The bathroom is not yet finished. I’m only halfway through painting it. It will be my tribute to Orla Kiely who I’m totally obsessed with.

meredith7.jpg
The TV room is my latest project. My boyfriend wanted to put a big TV in there so he could watch his soccer (he’s English). So this is what I came up with. Of course he wanted nothing too feminine, so I pushed the envelope as far as I could with him still liking it. I splurged and got a custom sofa and had electrical outlets put in the base so we could live our dream of laptop/TV multitasking. The windows are covered with fabric on canvas stretchers. I used the same technique on the ones in the living room. We took out the mirrored closet doors where the TV is and made these sliders. I made the fabric that’s
behind them. Of course this room is also filled with etsy finds.

meredith8.jpg
The blue room: This is the guest room which opens out into a sunroom and then the backyard. I painted the Tsunami Warning painting as well as the Falling Cow in the living room when I did a series of sign paintings for a friends’ art show.

meredith9.jpg
The outside is sort of my own little Japanese escape. It’s totally private which is really important to me– especially because I take showers back there! I put in the sunroom, cabana, and bath house. It’s pretty much like having a whole other outdoor house, which fortunately you can do in Southern California. We spend a lot of weekends out here, mostly working but some lounging too.

meredith10.jpg

1. Elizabeth Cunningham says:

Wow. Your backyard space is spectacular! My Chicago heart is envious. The outdoor bath space reminds me of Kyoto…Beautiful!

2. Alicia says:

I’ve been to this house & it is more fab in public if you can believe it! She also designed my beach cottage & I get non-stop complements. It’s always so exciting to see the latest project she’s working on…..

3. Sandeep Manaktala says:

We feel really great with the fantiastic house you have put together. Congrats !!
    It seems you are an artist as well as have a great artistic eye.
    The orange & yellow cushion (extreme right) was designed & sold by us to Anthropologie. Thank you for chosing it & enjoying it. We are grateful, through your celebration, we have a chance to share it with you. Lot’s of happiness in your wonderful house. Good Luck… foreever. Sandeep

4. MrsAliB says:

Oh, it’s so lovely all around, but the outdoor bath is my dream!!! I have so many questions! You mentioned you and your BF do a lot of DIY – but even the soaking tub? how did you do the outdoor bath? my husb says it must have cost you 60K…..can’t be! there MUST be a way to do something like this w/ a LOT of elbow grease, resourcefulness, etc. w/0 big bucks, or else, I might be suicidal.

5. Kari says:

This is a beautiful home. Every picture is more amazing than the last. I would love to know what fabric you used in the TV room for the panels.

6. annamorgan says:

Adding praise — and a question:

Where are the yellow bedroom curtains from?

Thank you.

7. kristan Glass says:

where did you get the blanket on your old bed- its looks like a white terry loop bedspread. i love those..and sadly cannot find them anywhere?

8. meredith says:

Hi again,
    Here’s some more answers to your questions:

Tami: the shower in the little bathroom: The shower head is by Grohe, and the ring I got on Ebay. It was a way more affordable version of this spiral curtain rod that ends with a shower head.

Julia: there are more house pictures on the link at the top, and also on my website http://www.meredithk.com

Lillibet: the taupe-y rose color in the living room is actually Dunn Edwards Pearl White (off white) It just looks like that in the photo

MrsAliB: No, we didn’t make the tub. I got it in Alaska from http://www.woodentubs.com for 4k.
    I don’t think it’ s hard at all to make, though. It’s basically the design of a water tower and I watched one guy make a pool sized water tower in 2 days. Just make sure you use hinoki (japanese yellow cedar) wood. That’s where the cost is.

Kari: I made the fabric for the TV room panels with a stencil. Let me know if you ever want to by some.

Annamorgan: the fabric in the bedroom curtains is from F&S Fabrics in LA and I had them made.

Kristan: that bedspread belonged to my grandmother, BUT I saw some in this funny little catalogue that’s been sent to me the past couple months. I think it’s called the Vermont Trading Company? I can’t remember exactly b/c I threw it away already, but I’m pretty sure that’s it and they weren’t expensive.

Thanks again everyone!

9. meredith says:

Hi again,
    Here’s some more answers to your questions:

Julia: there are more house pictures on the link at the top, and also on my website meredithk.com

Thanks again everyone!

10. MrsAliB says:

Thanks, Meredith! The bathtub info is great, definitely going to consider that source!! Can you give a $$ figure for the entire outdoor bathroom? Did you do the cement(?) work yourselves? How is the water heated?
    Thank you so much!!

11. Jennifer says:

Hi! I was wondering the same, a ballpark figure for the entire outdoor bathroom. We already have one of these tubs from the same place in Alaska, and we’re just about to start working it into our yard. The shower and living area surrounding it really make it!

12. Tannie says: