sneak peek: jill malek

by

1285.jpg
our second sneak peek is a look inside brooklyn-based graphic designer jill malek, who specializes in luscious prints and fantastic wallpapers. i was suprised not to see more of these great patterns popping up around her home, but it was fun to see other sources of inspiration – particularly the re-inspired furniture she and her husband have created. enjoy the sneak peek below and click here for more, full-sized images. [thanks, jill!]anne

[above: We made this living room lamp out of an antique tripod stand. The rug is a family heirloom from Armenia, and the architectural drawings were done by Vram’s grandfather.

2234.jpg
a great place to store books..our DOMUS collection also makes for a great conversation piece. Next to the blackbird are used piano keys from which we hope to build a table..for now, they can be placed in the abstract art category.

3171.jpg
the art on our walls is a collection of friends’ works, Dali prints, and photography and art from our travels. The dining table is a resurrected old drafting table.

4112.jpg
this is taken in the home office. The mini models are of me and my husband, Vram. We keep them handy for scale when we are making models together for upcoming shows and presentations..they are very practical and conveniently provide a lot of amusement.

572.jpg
this sign is on our office door at home. The paper is from the vintage map folder that I pointed out before, the feather is taken from my rooftop, where my neighbor across the street trains many pigeons everyday, (which subsequently was the initial inspiration for my pattern, flux) and the old ‘J’ stencil was found in an antique store upstate.

653.jpg
A mix of inspirational pieces and current jobs, I always like to have a combination of fabrics and interesting papers on my office board.

736.jpg
this classic Philippe starck blue chair, we thought, would be a nice contrast against our pattern, Aphrodite in burgundy and gold, which occupies the accent wall behind it. Hanging light fixture is by tord boontje.

1. Michelle says:

I love your rug! and your dining table, very good idea. If my place in Brooklyn had been so calm and pretty, I might have stayed longer!

2. joanna says:

thanks for sharing your home! i love it – it is a perfect balance of clean lines and the way you have hung your art. i am looking for a new sofa and yours looks great – where did you find it? i also love your chairs where are they from? thanks!

3. Susan says:

What kind of board did you use for your office board? I live in an apartment and am always looking for unique ways of organizing my sketches! Thanks!

4. Tallulah says:

Lovely space – serene, yet intriguing. I too am interested in your sofa – is it the Jasper from Room & Board, perchance? If so, how do you like it for comfort, durability, etc?

5. Sheau says:

Oh, what a nice space fill with art. I love the drafting dining table. It is so lovely. Great inspiration.

6. mimi says:

drooling over the table and the tripod lamp…. and the fireplace

7. Bridget says:

count me in on the sofa lovers!

8. one of my faves ever. thank you!!

9. Briana says:

So pretty and soothing. Would also love to know where the sofa is from and how you like it. Thanks!

10. Thank God for you–I have the exact same drafting table, but mine is pouting in the corner. Now I can actually USE it!

11. Laura says:

Fantastic color palette!

12. ThePeachTree says:

Oh me! I”ll just take the fireplace room :) I love the others as well, but the fireplace room shall be my home.

13. alison Caplan says:

love the black flag logo/artwork

14. s says:

that Aphrodite wallpaper is amazing

15. Lauren says:

You have one of the most beautiful homes I have ever seen! Where did you buy that long patterned pillow on your couch? It is gorgeous!

16. Kadeedy says:

Yay! Congrats, Jill! Yet another brilliant creation.

17. desiree says:

I love those leather chairs in the first shot. so cool.

18. cake. says:

i really love how the art work is hung in the dining room!

19. Kim Gray says:

OH I LOVE EVERYTHING!

20. stevie g says:

truly inspirational–clearly the work of creative folks

21. mejezabel says:

Jill – Beautiful things….but I have the exact same sling leather chairs – I bought them at tag sale. Do you have any history on them? I can’t work out who made them. Do you have any info?

22. Beth says:

I have those leather chairs too! I’d love to know more about them.

23. stacy says:

best sofa ever. beautiful.

24. Jill Malek says:

Check out Jami Saunders site, http://jamisaunders.com, …she is the brilliant photographer that shot our apartment!

25. love the living room, amazing.

26. Lisa Onstad says:

love the fireplace/bookshelf!
    PS. The J “stencil” is actually wood type used for letterpress printing…that’s why it’s backwards!

27. Gal says:

I’d really like to peek into the kitchen too, please. I can see a bit of it in the last photo and it looks interesting.
    I love the dining area.

28. thatgirlkk says:

i may have missed it but where is the sofa from?