sneak peek: amanda of spruce austin

i love that spruce austin was created by amanda brown and lizzie joyce to bring an updated approach to upholstery. i know for sure that both grace and i have a thing for chairs, and it’s always fun to see what they’ve cooked up (more on etsy). today amanda opens up her home that showcases her love of art and vintage decor. if what you see below isn’t enough, click here for more, full-sized images. [thanks, amanda!!]anne

[Above: Bedroom. For Christmas, I made my husband this headboard covered in vintage curtains.]

A collection of my favorite things fills every room of my 50s bungalow home. Our entryway greets guests with a large abstract painting created by my husband’s ninety-year-old grandmother. The table is a find from Corner Collector’s Market in Austin.

We drink from an antique dresser passed down from my husband’s grandfather. This vintage Frederick Cooper lamp is my absolute favorite with the porcelain basket weave and golden tassel. The wet bar is framed by two vintage high backs we reupholstered in a green mosaic fabric (lamp & chairs from Corner Collector’s Market).

Our kitchen, suited with an authentic Chambers stove, is the center of gossip and conversation during weekly game night.

LOVE these bird chairs revamped by the Sprucettes. . . Cocktails are so much more fun with the right accessories…vintage decanters labeled with quirky gift tags.

This chair is my favorite place to catch up on Domino & design blogs, and the painting is another find from the Citywide Garage Sale.

1. Alexis says:

It’s amazing to see something on your site that I own! I have the curtains that are featured by the chair above and the bedroom!

2. moodboard says:

That headboard is fantastic, and the artwork of the girl in the bottom photo, is that original? Beautiful. Does it by any chance list the artist name?

3. sara says:

“. For Christmas, I made my husband this headboard covered in vintage curtains.]”
    haha …poor guy

4. ellen says:

what a beautiful kitchen, so cozy.

5. wow,wow,wow….so talented, so unique and sooo beautiful! Thank you for sharing!

6. Great styling skills – wonderful symmetry.

7. Jackie says:

The rack suspended from the ceiling for pots and pans in the kitchen would be perfect in my tiny studio apartment… where can I get one like yours?

8. jessica slutsky says:

the spruce girls rock my world!

9. Love, LOVE that you reimagined the dresser as a bar! I would love to sit in one of those gorgeous wing chairs and sip a cocktail.

10. Emily says:

so glad I saw this :) have a sad vintage sofa that would be wonderful w/ their expertise!!! nice to know about these (luckily) local ladies

11. ThePeachTree says:

WOW! Such daring color combinations that not only work, but make me want to go get daring with my bad self!!

12. Greg Miller says:

Luv the drapes! Your placee looks fab, especially the kitchen. Am doing up mine which is similar. I like the black tile trim. Can I ask is the bench top tiled as well?

13. spruceaustin says:

So excited to be a part of this! The print in the bottom photo is by M. Soyer, and the pot rack above the stove is from IKEA. Thanks for all of your comments!

14. Danielle says:

My grandmother had the exact same painting of the young woman in the bottom picture. It was the only thing I wanted of hers when she passed. Unfortunately someone ripped the canvas when they were cleaning out her house. It you have the name of the artist, I’d love to have it.

15. chels says:

hi. cute place! I was wondering about your orange pillow covers….are they a vintage find or can I find them at a store somewhere?

16. spruceaustin says:

Hello all! The top of the bench/table in the kitchen is just stainless. Also, the orange pillows are a vintage find. The name of the artist is M. Soyer.

17. I love the different color used in different rooms… very nice

18. Kathryn says:

What style! May I ask where you found the geometric curtains that are behind the fabulous headboard?

19. Meg says:

Where’d you find those great curtains?! Looking for that exact color and can’t find it anywhere!

20. Rachel says:

I have those curtains from IKEA and I LOVE them!! Beautiful!!

21. Vella says:

I frozen when I saw this kitchen.
    I have this exact kitchen. Cabinets, handles, tile counters with contrasting edging, line cutouts in cabinets.
    I live in Arizona!
    Must have been a kit in the 1950’s.

22. debbie says:

I took one of the first upholstery classes with Spruce/austin. Amanda and Lizzie are awesome instructors/ teachers and very nice young ladies. I have had several compliments on my chair and I love it……….

23. The artist in the picture is M. Soyer and was probably painted in the 1950’s. I have a print of two ballerinas, sitting in much the same position. I love it. The artist was Russian, one of a twin, both brothers were artists. He died in the 1970’s.