new at pottery barn

it’s not often that i flip through catalogs in the mail- normally they go straight to the recycling bag where they’ll sit until i take them downstairs on friday evening. there’s something about catalogs that makes my mind go numb so i try to avoid them at all costs. but yesterday after a long day in the city i needed some mind numbing so i went through the pottery barn catalog sitting on my entryway stand. to my surprise, i dog eared over 10 pages in the catalog (although i wanted to pull each of the pieces into a more modern setting) so i thought i’d share some of my favorites this morning. images above, from top to bottom: leigh palampore duvet cover and sham $29-$159, ceramic canisters (love these) $16-$34, edison chandelier $399, olivia sofette $1149+, auburn desk lamp (i just want the shade) $159.

[ps: lauren and derek’s diy project today is a great spin on these canisters so stay tuned for that at 1pm]

1. Maggie says:

I LOVE that chandelier, and all the yellow makes me very happy. Thanks for showing the inspiration in a PB catalog!

2. Dominique says:

Anyone seen anything like the Edison for a little bit less? I’d love to put that in my son’s “undersea” room….

3. I guess sometimes I am really confused by this blog. Years ago, it used to focus a little more on very modern things, now more on crafty almost hip country feeling things. Now you mention the urge to put the Pottery Barn items in a more modern setting, but they seem to fit right along with the theme of this blog over the past year or more.

4. valerie says:

that chandelier is a guaranteed conversation piece. way to go pottery barn!

5. Jessica says:

The same thing happened to me, just last night. I usually don’t even open the PB catalogues. They have some great stuff! It does make me think that the Wearstler-ish trellis prints are completely played. I love the owl duvet for my daughter and the chain rug is insane.

6. Kristan says:

Loooove the spider-y draping of that light fixture!

7. mimi says:

The edison chandelier is outstanding!

8. A. J. says:

I have the Edison chandelier in my library and it’s even better in person. (Dimmer is a must, though.) It’s a bit like sitting in a Christmas tree…

9. A. J. says:

Oh, and I did the same thing – I never look at catalogs and I thought I hated Pottery Barn – but I happened to flip through one a couple of months ago and found that light and had to have it. I think they must have a new design director, because things seem to be changing.

10. This just fuels my love of Pottery Barn. And maybe I love it so much because they don’t ship to Australia, so I can’t have anything!! I do love that chandelier, gorgeous.

11. emilykristin says:

i noticed that, too. I walked into a store a few weeks ago, even though I’ve never liked PB, and I saw lots of things I liked, but all of which seemed very different from PB before.

12. angelune says:

i love the chandelier!

and brian everett – can’t a blog evolve? especially when it is about current design trends, etc. ?

13. Kendra says:

Those lamps are hot. And the textiles are to die for. So beautiful!!

14. Miss Jess says:

I’ve been into that chandelier for a while now, and every time I see it I need it more and more. A possible DIY with an electrician friend of mine? A very possible yes.

15. mandy says:

hi grace – love your blog. as responsible citizens of this world, we must stop subscribing to paper catalogues, esp if we dont go through them, even if they go straight to recycling.
    i am sure i can count on you to do this and alert the bloggers who come to your site.

16. grace says:

i actually don’t subscribe to any catalogs- they just come (more and more) every month. i wish there was a way to tell stores not to send them unsolicited.

i signed up for that service that is supposed to unsubscribe you to anything you haven’t asked for but it hasn’t kicked in yet.

17. Jessica says:

Hi Grace,

You can get rid of them. I do this periodically. It works for a while and then they start coming again.

18. lesterhead says:

Woah- this is Pottery Barn? Nice surprise. Everyone’s already said it, but I love that chandelier.

And the catalog thing DOES work, but it takes a few months. Now I get hardly any!

19. angelune: certainly a blog can evolve. That wasn’t my point, but anyway it doesn’t matter.

I’m certainly sorry if I offended any readers and especially Grace: my intent was not to do that. I was merely making a claim.

Believe me, I love this blog. I wouldn’t have been reading it thoroughly for the past 3 years if I didn’t.

Keep up the great work!

20. Christina says:

It is so obvious that PB reads Graces blog!

21. ashley says:

Its obvious that Pottery Barn pays attention to modern design and rips of the aesthetic.

i must say that for me, owning PB feels like carrying a fake purse from Canal street…

22. Laurie says:

I am looking for a picture of the blue and white seashell theme that Pottery Barn had about 2 years ago, I don’t know how to research it!

23. Katie says:

Those lamps are very interesting. Time to buy some new lamps…modernise my home.