diy wednesdays: catch-all shelf

catchall_shelf1.jpg
there’s nothing better than emptying your pockets as soon as you get home after a long day, but we find that we leave little piles of change, keys, and bills all over the house unless we have a designated place to put them. this ubiquitous wooden magazine holder from ikea turned out to be the perfect catch-all shelf for our stuff, and all we had to do was put a coat of stain on it, turn it on its side and mount it in the corner of our entryway. problem solved! CLICK HERE for the full project and instructions or just click “read more” below.

happy crafting!
derek & lauren

catchall_shelf2.jpg

here’s what you’ll need:
wooden magazine holder
stain and/or paint (optional)
two screws and two washers

1. paint, stain or decoupage your magazine holder (or leave it plain)
2. pre-drill two holes for the screws and mark your wall where the screws will go, making sure they are level.
3. mount your box to the wall, using washers so the screw heads don’t sink too far into the wood.
4. if you’ve got an outlet nearby, you can even charge your cell phone or ipod by snaking the cord through the hole in the front of the box.

1. house decor says:

Very good idea, nice work

2. La Pomme says:

I love this idea! And I know exactly where I’m going to install this in my home.

3. ung says:

this is why i love you guys. the idea was so simple but it’s so fabulous!

4. Ana says:

What a great idea! I’ve been having trouble finding a solution to the end-of-day-pocket-miscellania issue and this also gives me an excuse to go to Ikea!!

5. Happen Upon says:

This is brilliant I am very impressed it actually makes a better looking shelf than you can normally find – thinking of using it for a telephone shelf – love it

6. janet says:

why don’t I ever think of these cool ideas!

7. Kit Eastman says:

Great! Just the solution for our TINY bedroom in lieu of bedside tables!

8. what a clever idea! I love it.

9. nefariouscupcake says:

Great idea! I’m going to do this in my laundry room. I’m drilling small holes along the bottom edge to hang my husbands dress shirts on while I’m folding :D

10. melissa says:

this is FABULOUS!! and the shelves are only $5! I think I’m going to buy several and stack them flush on top of each other or perhaps space them out a bit…

11. I LOVE THIS! i want to paint them bright colors and place them throughout the house–also, stack a few in an unused corner. this is the very best kind of art project–tremendously useful, utterly handsome, and it inspires all kinds of uses and variations. thank you so much for sharing so many great ideas and designs with us. maybe we can all send you photos of our completed versions of your great idea.

12. stephanie j. says:

This is fantastic! I actually have several of these at home, used far less creatively. For anyone who doesn’t live near an IKEA – you can go on line http://www.IKEA-USA.com to find your item and you can shop by phone (800) 434-4532.

13. *mo says:

this is so very neat. i love it.

14. kristen says:

this is awesome… i wish i had a corner at my entry way

15. absolutely wonderful idea!~

16. Bec says:

Fantastic!

You could even attach one of those metal butchers hook type things to use as a coat hook.

17. This is absolutely genius! Just what I need to avoid creating clutter, and it is so cute. Can’t wait to try it at home.
    SPxx

18. Jennifer says:

this is one of those genius why didn’t i think of that things!

19. DEANNA says:

GREAT IDEA! I like the idea of doing a vertical row of maybe 4 or 5, one for each day of the week (?) ….homework….etc, and maybe color coding them……..but, for the person who asked about mounting to a damaged wall in an apartment, one idea may be to mount a series of these or even one of these to a large peice or two of pegboard , because you can use the peg board to possibly hide those damage spots, distract with some other color if you want and accent with some additional hooks, etc….for keys..??? just brainsorming….

20. Alanna says:

I think these would make adorable floating night tables in a tight space. They could be painted a complimentary colour, or stained!
    GENIUS!

21. Jess says:

I am making one of these today. What an awesome idea.

22. Jennifer says:

You know, looking at that made me think of something else you could add to it.

What if you took a wine cork and pushed it into the hole? That way you could hang a tote or maybe a dog leash or something off of it as well?

23. All I can say it this is pure genius. Perfect way to use a typical item in a different way that is just as functional as the original intent of the product.

1. BOB says:

you’re right Matthew! Totally agree!

24. nicole says:

Love. Love. LOVE! im thinking about stacking them with a little space in between for more space :)

25. Anne says:

I didn’t realize what it was at first. It looked like a built in wooden TV stand (one usually in bedrooms high in the corners, before flat screens) that was turned into a desk. Seeing this, we have an old built-in stand from another house that never worker in our new homes. May may it into as desk for one of the kids.

26. BOB says:

WOOOW!!!! thatd was such a great idea!!! LOVE!LOVE!LOVE!!