sneak peek: joslyn taylor

the first time we got a sneak into joslyn taylor’s home was with her before & after bar transformation. it was a huge hit, and we were all dying to see more. lucky for us, today is the day! she and her husband are in the high-tech industry, but consider themselves “closet creatives” (joslyn into decor and design, and bryan dreaming of woodworking and organic farming). set in their careers, their home has become their creative outlet. see what their creative juices have cooked up, and click here for more images. as always, you can find all the sneak peeks here. –anne

[Our house was built in 1978, and when we moved in a couple of years ago we joked it had a sort of ‘Boogie Nights-meets-Brady Bunch’ vibe with loads of foil wallpaper, shag carpeting and DARK wood… Retaining the spirit of the house while making it modern and family friendly has been our biggest goal, as ultimately the space is a place where our two little girls Audrey (four) and Millie (one and a half) can run wild, create memories and express themselves…]

We painted the wall behind the bed three times before we got that eggplant color. The first two attempts were crazy…think grape, think Prince Purple Rain, think Barney…not good! The pillows on the bed are Jonathan Adler…I recently moved them in here from our living room and they completely changed the feel of the room. The Chinese panel is something I found in the “chip and dent” bin at Horchow for $8.00…perhaps my greatest. find. ever. I found the lamp and table is actually one piece. I found it at a garage/sample sale that an event designer in town had. It was a pretty cool find….I’ve never seen anything like it.

The Woods wallpaper in the little nook between the kitchen and the breakfast area is my favorite space in the house. I’m so happy with how that project turned out, as it’s a perfect backdrop for my collection of white dishes. I’m pretty obsessed with white dishes… especially “strays” — I can’t resist picking up the odd white serving bowl or tray every time I hit an estate sale or thrift shop, but my favorite piece is my Heath casserole. I love Heath ceramics so much…it’s becoming an issue.

The tongue-in-groove ash paneling in the living room was by far our biggest challenge. When we moved in it was stained dark walnut and was pretty depressing. We had it completely stripped and re-stained natural, which was an improvement but still not exactly right. So on a lark (and out of complete desperation) we bought a can of liming wax and experimented on a few hidden boards. It was a total success. So now in every single spare moment we lime the walls…we’re about half-way done with the room and hope to have the rest done by the end of the year.

Like most of the wood in the house, the cabinets in the kitchen were originally stained dark brown. We were determined not to replace them, so we slapped on several coats of Benjamin Moore Decorator White, which made the sort of Mondrian pattern on the doors really “pop”. That same motif is on every single cabinet in the house as well as on our front doors….

I was determined to make the dining room a place we’d actually use since so many people…don’t. When we moved in, this was the most traditional room in the house. The “fancy-lady” chandelier was the first thing we took down. We replaced it with a drum shade that we had custom-made by Moon Shine Shades to fit the space. I drew the lamp, and they made it in two weeks + they were really affordable.

The starting point for the guest room was all those National Geographic magazines. I’m sort of stuck on yellow + kelly green, so I painted the wall behind the bed that great green featured in Domino a few months ago…it’s a lot brighter than it seemed in the magazine, so it freaked me out a bit at first, but it really worked with all the yellow. The light fixture is from IKEA and the painting over the bed was a gift from my best friend. She’s the queen of thrift shops and estate sales and we’re always unearthing crazy stuff together. Groovy estate sale art is the best…you can find great 60s/70s pieces that straddle the line between totally awesome and a smidge scary, which is usually the best combo!

1. Jim says:

I love your home– you’ve managed to create a lot of personal style. It’s very sharp, very stylish and you’ve mixed vintage and current trends so well. You really have exquisite taste and I agree with the others, you’re really really good at this!

2. Toks says:

Very warm, cozy, inviting. LOVE

3. Very nice.. I love the Glass Lamp and the lighting is amazing.

4. Sheila says:

Where did you find the ceiling lamp in the bedroom. You are so bold with colors and they look great.

5. joslyn says:

shelia — the overhead light in the guest room is from ikea

6. Bruce says:

I love the woods wallpaper, and your living room is great. The textures just pop! The stone fireplace, the nubby rug, the starburst mirror, the limed walls, and the smooth table top work beautifully together. I would like to touch them all.

7. Zana says:

I can’t believe that people actually live in such beautiful houses. I am an artist and appreciate much, but I cannot wrap my brain around decorating. Just Lovely!

8. vanessa says:

i just looooooove the green room amazing!!!!!! i want …

9. Carla in Tacoma says:

I have to say, your bedroom is absolutely gorgeous, so serene and lovely with the eggplant wall and natural touches.

We painted our living room the same bright green after finding it featured on the Domino website. It has taken my eyes two weeks to adjust to its intensity! We are slowly adding equally citrusy accessories along with white and black and I am getting glimpses of how wonderful the finished look will be.

I am thrilled to see you chose to use the yellow as well; we painted our kitchen a similarly cheery color (but with a touch of orange). It has brought a bit of warmth to our gray Pacific NW winter.

Thank you for sharing your home!

10. Lindsay says:

Can I ask where the black/brown canopy bed is from? I’ve been looking all over for exactly that style but no luck to date!

I really enjoyed the pictures. Thanks!

11. Astrid says:

Can someone tell me where the wood wallpaper is from? I saw it in reversed colours and really need to have it. Thank you!

1. grace says:

it’s from cole & son.

12. joslyn says:

we bought the bed at a local store, but you can get a similar one at crate and barrel.

13. maguelonne says:

i use to be an all time grey type of girl but i’m now growing a passion for green.that guest room is…i just LOVE it! and the yellow accent wall in that other room, beutiful. thanks for letting us having a wee wonder in your

14. How on earth did I miss this? Oh my goodness hun! Your home is absolutely gorgeous! Warm, happy, unique and incredibly beautiful! Thank you so much for sharing it with us! I am so glad I finally saw it! YAY!

15. Erin says:

I’m a fan of bright colours and love that green. What is the maker and colour?

16. Jana says:

You have a gorgeous home! I’m planning to paint with green….would you mind sharing the maker & color?

Thank you for sharing your home!!

17. her house is sooooo sweet! i love her blog and her awesome house!

18. Desi says:

I love it. I love the bold colors with the dark anchoring woods and blacks. I also like all the clean lines with organic twists so that it doesn’t seem too contemporary. Nice job.

I was wondering what is holding the jewelry to the left of the branch stand?

19. joslyn says:

Desi, to the left of the branch stand i have a hurricane candle holder with holes in it that I found years ago. It’s got necklaces hooked to it.

the green is Sherwin Williams direct green!

20. Louise says:

glad you perserveered with the eggplant color. it is worth it.

21. annie says:

Just noodling through your blog and enjoying a nose through your lovely house. I live in England and your laid back American style is gorgeous – but would look odd here, probably because we have very different light here. Adore the guest room, ditto your fireplace in the main room. Re Brady Bunch – a little touch of Brady should be in every home…
    Enjoy the Spring!

22. Alison says:

Could you pls share the name of that eggplant color? Thank you.

23. Joleanna says:

Hi! I was wondering if you could tell me or show me the rest of your guest room walls? I too painted my walls that color and am under shock about it! It is in my living room and i did allll four walls :/ love the yellow accents to amd thinking maybe i should do white the lower 1/3 of the room? The adjacent room is yellow and grey and it i overly starteling. Thanks!!