our love of knickknacks, thingamajigs and ephemera is outweighed only by our hatred of clutter. which means whenever we pick up yet another objet we’d better find a spot for it. we fashioned this mini shadow box out of a simple cardboard gift box to house a little assemblage whose contents can be changed on a whim depending on what treasures we happen to find lying about. click here for the full project instructions or just click “read more” below.
-derek & lauren
here’s what you’ll need:
-gift box with lid
1. draw a decorative border onto the top of your box and carefully cut out with your x-acto blade.
2. trace the bottom of the box onto a cork tile and cut out with scissors.
3. cover the cork piece with a scrap of fabric, securing on the back with double-sided tape.
4. if your box is deep, you may also wish to line the inside with fabric, which you can also secure with double-sided tape.
5. puncture a small hole in the back of box with your x-acto blade.
6. insert fabric-covered cork piece into box bottom and assemble box.
7. fill with goodies and hang on a small nail through the hole in back!