diy wednesdays: candy box

candybox1.jpg
whenever we’re thinking about making a project, we always look around the house to see what materials we’ve got on hand. normally that means using a random piece of cork, or a surplus scrap of fabric. this week was a little different. we’ve had a lovely bottle of fleur de sel that derek’s parents gave us earlier this year, and inspired by a random conversation we were having with grace about salt, we decided to make these ridiculously decadent fleur de sel caramels. coupled with a simple origami nesting box made out of a leftover piece of wrapping paper, we’ve got ourselves the perfect gift for a friend’s birthday party this weekend. click here for the full project and instructions or just click “read more” below.

have fun!
derek & lauren

candybox2.jpg

here’s what you’ll need:

we got this recipe for fleur de sel caramels came from the october 2004 issue of gourmet magazine

ingredients:

1 cup heavy cream

5 tablespoons unsalted butter, cut into pieces

1 teaspoon fleur de sel

1 1/2 cups sugar

1/4 cup light corn syrup

1/4 cup water

candybox3.jpg

1. line bottom and sides of an 8-inch square baking pan with parchment paper, then lightly oil parchment.

2. bring cream, butter, and fleur de sel to a boil in a small saucepan, then remove from heat and set aside.

3. boil sugar, corn syrup, and water in a 3- to 4-quart heavy saucepan, stirring until sugar is dissolved. Boil, without stirring but gently swirling pan, until mixture is a light golden caramel.

4. carefully stir in cream mixture (mixture will bubble up) and simmer, stirring frequently, until caramel registers 248°F on thermometer, 10 to 15 minutes. pour into baking pan and cool 2 hours. cut into 1-inch pieces, then wrap each piece in a 4-inch square of wax paper, twisting 2 ends to close.

candybox4.jpg

for the lid of the origami box, we cut a 10″ square out of a sheet of gift wrap, and a 9 1/2″ square for the bottom. then we followed these instructions and tied the whole thing up with a piece of embroidery floss leftover from our embroidered curtain project!

1. Erin Tyner says:

These sound so good – I can never get enough of the salty and sweet combination! I am saving this recipe for when I get my braces removed :)

2. oh my you two are just so incredibly sweet yourselves! my inspiration duo—what an AMAZING idea! i find myself recently obsessed with the new Haagen Daaz RESERVE Fleur de Sel ice cream…this is just SO much better!! thanks for sharingggg

3. Smitteniche says:

Is it sad that I’m geeking out more over the origami box than the caramels? ;-)

4. sarah says:

Oooh, looks yummie!
    And good timing. I am in need of a “thank you for watching our kids” small gift in exchange for our date night tonight!

5. You guys are so creative – you can come to my birthday party any time!

I can’t wait to share this recipe with my best friend – he LOVES to make candy :)

6. whitney says:

How sweet! I just love this. Cant wait to make some. I’ve been planning to make something edible for Thanksgiving this year to give to all the family. Perfect little boxes to house the goodies! Thanks!

7. Leah says:

Is that clover cream in the picture?! Oh how it reminds me of home! Tip Clo through your two lips!

8. Sabina says:

what a wonderful idea – very creative and thoughtful!!

9. Piper says:

I absolutely LOVE making fleur de sel caramels! They are the ultimate treat and everyone you give them to adores them! You packaging is fantastic and definitely where I’ve been lacking in my caramel-gifting dept!

10. val says:

How timely as my sister JUST came back from Il de Re with some fleur de sel as a gift for me – I will definitely make these – and sprinkle extra fleur de sel on top as suggested in the epicurious.com comments. Thanks!! Cute packaging, too!

11. YUM! I’m totally obsessed with salted caramel ice cream these days.

12. Marie Elizabeth says:

I love that you posted this! My fiance and I just decided the night before this post that we are going to make truffles and I’m going to make the origami boxes to put them in…we’re going to give them away as favors at our wedding in the spring! :)

13. lupita says:

I said quietly to myself while reading this, “I want to make fleur de sel caramels”. My boyfriend asked, from across the room: “What are Florida-style caramels?”

14. grace says:

lupita

thank you for the last minute laugh at the end of my day ;)

grace

15. Oh that’s fantastic! Thankyou so much for posting. I love the box, and the caramels look delicious.

16. Kim Gray says:

Luuurv the polka dots!

17. chick says:

love the post and esp. the fiestaware butter dish! same one that is sitting on my counter. Love to mix the old with the new.

18. Kimberley says:

One can find that fabulous polka dot paper at Paper Source!

19. Erin says:

Has anyone tried the caramel recipe as posted? It’s not that I don’t trust you guys (quite the opposite, in fact), but I had a couple of very bad caramel-making experiences over the holiday season, so I am just wondering if it’s safe for even the caramel-challenged.

20. truelyy know the many hours of painstaking work involved in this.

21. Lauren says:

hi erin-

this recipe was sooo easy, and pretty fool proof! with better results than other caramel recipes we’ve tried in the past.

22. Margaret Doerr says:

Can you tell me how many caramels this recipe makes?
    I would love to try this.

23. Flitterin says:

These look beautiful and delicious. I think I know what I’ll be making people for the holidays! These also would be beautiful wedding favors.

24. Rivkah says:

I was looking through past DIY projects and found this recipie. I absolutely CAN’T WAIT to try this recipie. The whole idea combines two of my favorite things to do, cooking and paper crafting. Who woulda thunk it! However, I have not ever cooked with fluer de sel. can it be purchased in the US?

25. emily says:

so so so yummy. for extra salty/sweet emphasis, i sprinkled some extra fleur de sel on the carmels during the 2nd hour of cooling…. yum!

26. Hexstatic says:

I’ve just finished to make them!
    Yum, it taste already too good!
    I’ve the doubled the recipe, too!

27. jo says:

I also love the little box and wish I could make those!

28. Branka says:

Hello

I like your web page very much! Can you please tell me which brand is that lovely jar of salt with wooden spoon on the photo above :)

Thank you in advance!

29. Fatima says:

how did ur caramels come out to be solid? mine came out soo bad :(

1. grace says:

fatima

try cooling them in the fridge for a bit- that usually works for me :)

g