diy (thursdays): felt coasters

felt_coasters1.jpg
ever since we bought our first piece of “grown-up” furniture (a teak dining room table) we’ve done our best to protect its surface. these cork and felt coasters are a cinch to make, and do a fantastic job protecting the wood from those inevitable water rings made by our drinking glasses and coffee mugs. click here for the full project instructions or just click “read more” below.

have fun!
-derek & lauren

felt_coasters2.jpg
felt_coasters3.jpg

here’s what you’ll need:

scraps of felt in various colors

sheet of thin cork or cork coasters

3″ – 4″ circular cup or vase bottom to trace your circle

pen

small hole punch

white glue

foam pad brush

1. trace your circle onto the cork and felt. we had a cork placemat from ikea that we cut up, but pre-cut circular and square pieces of cork are also widely available.

2. cut out the circles with your scissors.

3. punch decorative designs in the felt with your hole punch.

4. spread a thin layer of glue onto the cork and adhere to the felt.

5. clean up the edges by trimming all the way around with your scissors.

1. chickedee says:

Nice! I think I could follow the instructions and come up with decent looking ones! Maybe if we added lace at the bottom it could be a flower coaster too? Or is that a bit cheesy…. Thanks for sharing! :)

2. Megan says:

what a great DIY…and perfect for the college student on a budget a.k.a. me ;)

3. krista says:

I really want to make these but want to know; where is a good source for nice felt?

4. Laura says:

those are great! they make me think of Ritz crackers- in a really good way!!

5. san smith says:

What a cool easy idea – I’ll have to try this out for my table in my studio.

6. Jen says:

Krista: I’ve seen felt at both craft stores (like Michael’s) and fabric stores (like JoAnn’s). The fabric stores also have wool felt on the bolt (well, wool blends) which tend to look a lot richer than the craft felt.

7. Juliette says:

what about cork sheets/rolls? where do you find those?

I’m in desperate need of absorbent coasters and these are awesome! Great little DIY project!

8. Nevis says:

SUPER adorable!

9. amy says:

they DO look like ritz crackers! :) adorable. what a great idea.

10. *m says:

love this! i think i’ll try it with some other fabric scraps i’ve had forever.

11. Emily says:

Awesome idea. These might be a project for my new apartment.

I have a bunch of bar coasters that I’ve saved for special occasions. I’m thinking of just using those, especially because they’re a variety of shapes, so I don’t have to go out and search for cork.

12. Fatima says:

Really nice. I have lots of scraps but I may quilt two pieces together instead of the cork so they can be washed.

13. elizabeth says:

Juliette you can find the cork rolls at most office supply stores.

the rolls i’ve bought at staples and office depot are good, but if you are looking for thicker cork most art stores/hobby modeling shops sell cork in sheets at various thicknesses.

14. Kate says:

At our local Waldorf toy store (in Bellingham, WA) they have some really pretty hand-dyed 100% wool felt. There are some great Waldorf catalogs out there, like magic cabin, that sell nice felt. Also, wool felt is really easy to dye.

15. Wendy says:

This is great! I have a square piece of plain corkboard that I’ve been using as a coaster at work, but I’m TOTALLY going to jazz it up with some felt and maybe paint, too.
    I got pre-cut corkboard (perfect size for a coaster!) from JoAnns, and after I bought square ones (of course), they got star-shaped ones in, too!

16. melissa says:

I always love your clever tutorials! Thanks for all the hard work you put into your blog!

17. Liz says:

These are a great DIY project and I might even do them with the kids! Another super absorbent coaster I found are the braided coasters (and matching trivets) at http://www.gooseberrypatch.com/braideditems

18. Leah says:

I love this project! Simple and beautiful, which is definitely my kind of project. Thank you very much for sharing the tutorial. I just featured a link to this on my blog.

19. Rachel Garcia says:

Cute! Paper Tiger here in Denver, CO has a wide range of felt colors and blends and Hobby Lobby has cork rolls. Super easy craft that goes with almost any decor!

20. Margaret says:

great idea , i am going to try it…..thanks for posting!