sneak peek: something’s hiding in here

[update: i apologize for the slow loading today. i’m on the hold with mediatemple now trying to figure out what’s going on. anyone use a server they actually like?]

you know that anyone who is able to make a living making mustaches (and a lot of other cool stuff) is destined to have a great home. we got our first sneak peek into the abode of shauna alterio & stephen loidolt of something’s hiding in here with d*s guest blogger kevin of designphiladelphia, and now this dynamic duo is blowing up inside the pages of the latest issue of readymade. lucky for us, today they are sharing even more pictures with us that didn’t make the cut. and if the images below still aren’t enough to fill your fancy, check out the entire collection here. [thanks shauna and stephen!] anne

[stay tuned for another sneak peek tomorrow afternoon!]

1. morgan says:

ohhhh i would live in a closet of theirs if i could. amazing, amazing, amazing. ugh, that headboard with those deer! oh my.

2. vanessa says:

Good lord, this is beautiful.

3. Cakespy says:

OOh, love it! I spy some Ashley G. prints too! Awesome home.

4. jantzie says:

This is fantastic. I am a huge fan of the fauxcabin, and this is the classiest fauxcabin around.

I also love the wood knuckles. hehe.

5. lyn spataro says:

so much eye candy. i feel like one could explore this little haven for hours on end. so much personality and in such a genuine endearing way. i love it!

6. Again with the color-coordinated bookshelf. I love it so much! The brass knuckles paper weight is a nice touch as well.

7. quite possibly the most imaginative and unique interior decor i have ever seen, and that says a lot as i scour home decor sites all the time. really impressive!

8. Ingenious!!! I live in a small home, and could use some of their storage/display ideas.

9. Summer says:

Goodness. This is one of the prettiest places I have seen on here yet. So very, very creative from top to bottom. I am quite in love.

10. Kristin says:

Anyone know where to get that blue wood grain wall paper in the bathroom? It’s amazing!

11. Beth says:

love this entire space! So inspirational. :)

12. M_C says:

Amazing and inspirational. My only gripe would be the bathroom toilet and sink. In a space where every inch is designed to fit a specific aesthetic, the sink and toilet seem overlooked. Still, I am in awe…

13. Sue says:

So quirky and yet stunning!!!

That porch swing makes me swoon. You can tell that they have the knack of seeing potential in castoff, everyday items..Especially love the odd details like where they stashed the TV and the little display nooks tucked in here and there.

Well done!

14. thanks everyone… we feel the love.

kristin, the faux bois in the bathroom is not wall paper – we painted it using a very simple plastic “wood graining” tool from home depot. all you need is two colors of paint and this tool it’s so easy.

15. Christina says:

Its beautiful and forever young at heart! I wish I had a porch swing in the house!

16. kasha says:

Wow! This isn’t eye-candy, it’s a full course eye-meal. Thank you!

17. lsaspacey says:

I fell in love with this apartment a few years ago on Flickr. I love how it’s a loft space but they didn’t feel compelled to use stereotypical modern “loft” furniture. I also love all the painted wood furniture and I have to find out what the new blue shade on the furniture in the bedroom is, because I know that table used to be a paler blue.

Shauna, what color did you use?

18. Whitney says:

I love the kitchsy charm!

19. Amy says:

The television in the kitchen island has to the be most ingenious part. It takes the focus of the tv and on the room itself. I only wish I would have thought of it first. I am definitely copying this idea….

20. Mollie Green says:

This is the best sneak peek yet!

21. How long does it take to put a house like this together? I mean it doesn’t just happen over night, right? It would be nice to read about how long it took folks to get all the pieces in place. I’ve been in my home for almost a year and only two rooms feel really pulled together. How do they do it?

22. sherry says:

Love this space!! It’s so much fun and really feels like they’ve just followed their instincts and gone for it. Very refreshing!!!!

23. Melissa says:

Who could ever leave an abode so fab? I love all d*s sneakpeaks, but this one deserves an award!

PS – Just how large are those deer carrying books? Incredible!

24. jessica ann says:

i spotted a litho stone on the dresser to hold the alarm clock!!!! and the collection of deer.

thank you for this, what a treat!

25. Foodchic says:

When are we all moving in? Or are they doing time-shares? Or home swapping? Mine is filled with the most lovely laundry collection…

26. Jennifer says:

Where is that cute radio in the first image from?! I’ve been looking for one that looks retro and is made of wood, but can still play cds.
    What a lovely home by the way!!

27. k smoot says:

this is A-mazing!!

may i ask where the gingham bedcover is from? absolutely adorable

oh, and the fabric on the swing too!

28. you are all invited over!

for those who had questions about the faux bois wall in the bathroom… here is our how-to:

several of you also asked questions about the gingham duvet cover… we made it using basic cotton fabric (it’s so easy).

and stephen made the cushion on the swing by patching together parts of an old tote bag collection.

thanks again.
    shauna (& stephen too)

29. Lesley says:

Oh, I love that shelf over the bed with all the animal figures and the book shelves…..Love it. Great work!

30. same place as featured in ReadyMade…

31. jinnie says:

W O W
    Can you guys adopt me??

I, too, love that gingham bedcover + yellow bedframe.. ^^

32. grace says:

– see the intro text to the post and you’ll see the link to readymade and additional pictures.

33. Leah Hennen says:

Quick question: What’s the shelving unit under the window (the one topped with those two great deer bookholders)? I need something *exactly* like that to go under a low window in my dining/sewing room.

I guessed that maybe it was IKEA, but the closest matches there, the Lack and Expedit single column shelves (if they were turned on their sides), don’t seem to have legs like this. Any clues?

34. leah, you are right. we used two units turned on their sides and added legs (also ikea)!
    have fun.

several of you asked about paint colors. we have our colors custom mixed at home depot and here are the formulas…

lt blue (walls, swing & faux bois):
    colorant 0Z 48 96
    D thalo green 0 19 1
    E thalo blue 0 16 0
    L raw umber 1 45 1

dk blue (furniture & faux bois):
    colorant 0Z 48 96
    B lamp black 0 24 0
    D thalo green 0 24 0
    E thalo blue 0 5 0
    KX white 0 28 0

thanks everyone,
    shauna & stephen

35. Linda says:

the faux-forrest motif is a bit too much for my tastes, but that certainly is a fabulous apartment. i love how they embraced the openness of the space rather than trying to partition it.

36. mj says:

geez. “if only i could live in an urban outfitters display window” ?

37. Lisa m says:

One of the coolest apartments I have ever seen! I love the collection of deer and the living room porch swing! Really lovely!

38. rebecca says:

this and the denyse schmidt sneak are my faves. i keep coming back to look at the furniture! i love painted queen anne legs. :)

39. angie says:

this place is like magic. it really really is super awesome. well done guys. one day when i grow up i want to live in a place just like it.

40. Emma says:

i’ve seen these pictures on Flickr and i think the house is amazing…. so much warmth and comfort in the design and colours. Love it all

41. karina says:

This house is so unique, I love it!!!

42. Teresa says:

LOVE IT! The woods wallpaper is awesome! I also love the sofa and chair! The swing and fabric on the cushions is sweet!

43. Pearl O says:

Breath taking Gorgeous! So CUTE!

44. Vanessa says:

I’m a bit late with a comment but I had to mention the paint by numbers foursome in the bedroom. My mom did the same grouping in the 70’s. I wonder if she still has them? Mass production is interesting: how many kits were sold, how many completed?

Really nice place!

45. leigh says:

it’s like the holy grail! so rad!

…woah the bedroom porch-swing went to my head there, whew.

46. Danielle says:

This place is a hipster heaven! It’s as if it was a livable version of urban outfitters. Love it. :]

47. melanie says:

this is most definitely one of my favourite sneak peeks! WOW! such a unique space i love it so much. amazing job!

48. Steph says:

I just checked out the new bedroom pics on flickr (as per link in first paragraph of this article). Does anyone on designsponge know where those wonderful vintage fabrics were sourced from??? The spotted pillowslips and the floral duvet cover??

49. Rachael says:

Where do you get the book shelves under the window?