diy wednesdays: embroidered curtains

we’ve always loved customizing our clothing with tiny embroidered accents. a discreet script monogram on a collar, or just a simple running stitch along the edge of a shirt or dress can turn even the most ordinary garment into something truly unique. the same applies to your home. adding a touch of personality with a needle and thread is a fun way to draw attention to those otherwise invisible elements around your house, like these simple white curtains. click here for the full instructions or just click “read more” below.

have fun!
derek & lauren

here’s what you need:

disappearing ink pen
-embroidery floss, needle and hoop

1. measure and mark the placement of your words or letters onto your curtains using your ruler and disappearing ink pen. we chose to put the word “hello” on one curtain and “sunshine” on the other. the letters are 18” from the top of the curtain.

2. write the words on the curtains and embroider over them in a stitch of your choosing. (we used a running stitch.)

3. steam or iron out any wrinkles left by the embroidery hoop and hang your curtains. the ink from the pen will fade away within 24 hours.

1. Geeta says:

Oh joy!
    Those are so sweet in their simpleness.

2. Reginia says:

Oh man I am in love with this! I have been looking for some unusual curtains for my daughters room and this just fits her perfectly! She is such a no-nonsense kinda chick!

Thanks for a great How-To and Super Idea!!

3. Being a sucker for most things with words…I am in love with this idea. What a great way to dress up a sheer, white curtain.

4. Kim Buchheit says:

what a charming and elegant idea!

5. Ashley DeGraaf says:

Genius and unique idea! I think it would also be fun to do this on a simple white shower curtain (or any other colour for that matter).

6. Loora says:

Embroided curtains for kids ! Loving it !!

7. Olga says:

I just realized I haven’t checked your site in ages! Shame on me.
    This is such an adorable idea :)

8. Katie says:

Hey, I have a slightly blah curtain on a door window and I’m going to add the word “Welcome” to it. Thanks for the idea!

9. i found your blog from a link on great idea! these are very pretty and “the sky is the limit” on what you can do :) i’ll be linking back to this post on my blog soon.

10. margaux says:

tres cute! gonna do one of these for my kitchen, me thinks! what material is that curtain? cotton?

11. Robin says:

so cute! this makes me want to embroider a bunch of stuff on everything. bedspread, jeans, what else can i get my hands on…

12. Caroline says:

I have those bird scissors- they belonged to my grandmother, and I’d love to know where they came from. Where did you acquire yours?

13. The sunshine on the curtain is super cute. Love it.

14. anh says:

wow! I have to say it is simple but so sweet

15. Justine says:

Wow awesome, just recently got this link from a friend along with this one: . Love how the blogs helped me with my curtains and curtain poles for my bay window. Think i’m gonna combine the two in an awesome curtain at the front! :)

16. Freeda says:

@Justine, you should also add this to your bookmarks then. Everything you need to know about window treatment.

17. Emily says:

I have a claw foot tub and stitched “Bath Time” on my shower curtain…adorable! Only problem was I couldn’t get the curtain to hang just right, so I ended up using a flexible oval track…didn’t even know these existed! Here’s the one I used:

18. Tyler says:

Great idea, nice twist.

19. Andy says:

Nice idea. I think I’ll put my childs name on their bedroom voiles.