diy idea: bird mobile

1256.jpg
a just found out another friend of mine is having a baby so i’ve got nursery decorations on the brain lately (which isn’t helping my baby-crazy-late-20s phase). i saw this fun mobile at spool a while back and have had it bookmarked for ages, hoping i’d find an excuse to make one. and now i have one! you can download the pattern for each fabric bird right here and then pick up some (clean, fallen) twigs from your backyard and use clear fishing wire to hang each bird. it’s a great way to use up leftover fabric (or those super-fun fabric packs from purl) and give a homemade, customized gift. click here for the full post at spool.

2487201897_15755f55f0_o.jpg

1. roo says:

can anyone tell me how to finish their tails so they look so neat? i am stuck at how to stich up their tails.

2. stephanie says:

i made this last year! it’s hanging above the baby crib! looks great.♥

3. Rebecca says:

I just finished my birds, haven’t assembled the mobile yet but to avoid hand sewing I did a zig zag stitch on the tails & used pinking sheers to cut the edge.

4. I love this project, I’m not very good at sewing, though. A few months ago, I converted the Spool bird pattern from a sewing project into a paper craft. Paper I can handle.

5. Ashley says:

Awesome! I’m going to make some of these birds for my wedding decor…and maybe put feet on two of them for our cake topper! :D

6. How cute are those birds. Very creative!

7. regina says:

Really huge thanks to spool for the pattern! I’ve made this birdies in two version of mine, check out http://toscaberries.blogspot.com/2011/02/weekend-project-mobile-birdie.html and http://toscaberries.blogspot.com/2011/05/loving-birdie-2.html
    the birds are really adorable!

8. Kat says:

Im about to start my second Bird mobile using the spool pattern. They are so easy and effective I love them. Thanks

9. Ute says:

Thank you for the link. The bird-mobile is wonderful … i will make it for spring.

XOX Ute

10. This is so cute, thanks for sharing :-)

11. Heather says:

This will go perfect with the dandelion puff and dragonfly theme for our nursery! I can’t wait to start making these adorable birds!

12. Shelley says:

Just finished making my 13th bird. Now to find the perfect branch. I’m attaching mine to a big branch and suspending it over the guest bed with white lights in it. I thought it’d be a nice night light for grandkids or guests.

13. Jeruthuruth says:

Can’t wait long to make them. Hope to succeed in making these splendin birds.

14. mary says:

I can’t see the patterns! They are blocked!

15. Lyndsey says:

Can anyone direct me to a new link that would show me the pattern. It seems as though you cant access it from the link. Please and Much thanks (:

16. Tara says:

Does anyone have the updated link that they can share with the full instructions and bird patterns? I’d love to get started on this ASAP but the links aren’t working anymore…

Thanks so much!

1. Grace Bonney says:

Hi Tara

Unfortunately these older posts suffered from a back-end crash we had years ago and some of the files were damaged and lost. I’m so sorry :(

Grace

17. Tara says:

Oh that is so sad Grace, thank you for the reply! If anyone has a bird pattern that would work I would be so grateful for a share! :)

18. Orianne says:

Thank you Maxime for sharing that link to the bird pattern!

19. Dianne Henrich says:

This pattern is just what I am looking for – so cute! For some reason I cannot open the link – can someone help? Very much appreciated!