before and after: barb’s dresser

dsc_00022.jpg
barb at knack studios has provided us with some fantastic (and comment-causing) before & afters this year and today’s example is no exception. perhaps it’s because i’m a sucker for patterned paper on anything, but i’m loving this made over dresser (and those fantastic gold rose knobs). click here for more work from barb.

dsc_0005.jpg
barb-before.jpg

1. Shelly says:

Barb is very talented. It’s not that easy to get “the look” of old without it looking contrived. Whether you like the style or not, she’s out there rescuing furniture and rehabbing it. There are enough positive comments here to show that she has a market.

2. sarah says:

I have to say that I liked the original better, though the new knobs are pretty darn cool.

3. a guy says:

How about a male opinion? I thought the “after” was the “before”. I totally appreciate the work that went into this piece, but, honestly, it seems disrespectful to take a cool old piece with some real history and remake it as a frou frou cutsey thing.

4. junebug says:

::::this piece is a work of art & most certainly a conversation piece::::

5. George says:

I agree with most comments here. The wooden table was nice as is. Maybe change the knobs to those rose knobs, but thats it!

6. Beef says:

I agree with “a guy said”. It was a nice old piece of furniture that would have looked great with some restoration. I really thought the AFTER was the before. Something picked up at the Starvation Army or the like. The AFTER would not have a place in my home.

7. Slappy says:

I think that this re-do could have been achieved without ruining a beautiful piece of antique furniture. If you go to any thrift store, you can find a veneer paneled desk with a similar style that is just begging to be painted, rather than use something as beautiful and well made as this piece. In 5 years this piece will look dated, cheap and probably be thrown away…

8. Karen says:

Great job once again !

9. Alexis says:

The knobs are great, and the gold goes well with that mauveish purple. Brilliant. I feel like my grandmother, Audrey, would have liked that.

10. Jenn says:

Where did these rose pull knobs come from?? LOVE!