the shack at hinkle farm

i grew up going to summer camp in west virginia and i have a real soft spot for the state, it’s beautiful rivers and the greatest hotel in the world, the greenbrier (which is a serious festival of dorothy draper inside). so i was psyched to see this cool “shack” that architect jeffery s. broadhurst built for his family in west virginia. accessible only by off-road-vehicle, this small home looks like the perfect place to unplug and fall off the grid for a while. i can imagine driving out there and catching up on some good books and maybe even a little sewing. [via materialicious]

1. Kazeme says:

wow, that is such a cute little shack! I could live in there if it had a bigger kitchen! ^__^

2. susan says:

How divine! I woul do anything to be there right now! It looks so quirky and peaceful. It makes me happy to think of a family there.

3. sarah says:

I love it! It looks so cozy… The perfect spot to really get away.

4. Kadeedy says:

Makes me feel ashamed of the state of my one bedroom apartment!

5. Tina says:

Now THAT’S a summer home. I recently read a NY Times article about how summer homeowners, should update their kitchens with state of the art equipment, furnish the baths with gigantic tubs, flat screen TVs, game rooms, etc., their reasoning being that it would make the renters feel at home. After reading the article, I thought, why not just stay home? This adorable little shack looks like the perfect place to get away from it all. And isn’t a vacation all about slowing down?

6. Uncle Beefy says:

Okay, I have a weird thing about tiny houses. I respond to them like a mother to a child. I’d like to pick up this little cutie and hug it and squeeze it!!! And looks like I almost could. Holy pepperoni, I LOVE IT!!!

Thanks for the permasmile, Grace :)

7. Valentina says:

eheh, what a beautiful view!! i agree with you, Kazeme.

8. meg says:

dream vacation…

9. Ashley says:

Do they all sleep in one bed? Or perhaps there is a trundle?

10. Charlotte says:

neat! love the garage door!

11. Karen says:

YUP, I would live there!!!!!

12. Justin says:

Hey, thanks for the link, Grace. I think most of us entertain the idea of having a place to unplug for a while, far from the madding crowd… :)

13. What a fantastic little getaway,and the views that go with it!!

14. Chrissy says:

such perfection. this is what we all need from time to time – a little getaway shack with just the basics. A warm stove, fresh air, and a great view.

plus stacks of good books, of course.

15. tinyheat says:

what a dream come true..imagine waking up to that everyday!

16. el_daviddo says:

amazingly cool!

but as a resident of the south, how exactly do they deal with mosquitos? especially at night with the lights on…..

17. Alli says:

Wow. That looks perfect. Anyone know of spaces like that to go on vacation? I can’t build my own, but I’d sure love to borrow one for a week.

18. jan says:

how breathtaking that view is!

19. Kristan says:

Omg, now that’s a “shack” I could deal with… Love the disappearing wall!

20. Pink Gardenia says:

Finally, a little love! WV is a beautiful state and this is a fantastic little home!

21. Kaitlyn says:

I’m always taken with the spaces on D*S. This space is truly breath-taking and sublime.

22. amy marcella says:

that is fantastic. it actually made me gasp!

23. Jeska says:

I love this! Cosy but with the view so open and wild, a great way to spend some time away from town. Camping for grown ups. Thanks for this post ; )

24. lealou says:

wow this is amazing — we’re looking to build a shed this summer — I like this design for the back yard! I only wish I had those amazing views!

25. lucky says:

i am really feeling the little house vibe and this is so cute – have family in and SW va. and i always imagine a place like this on some gorgeous affordable land…

26. wv is beautiful. thanks for the small house love, too.

27. Condo Blues says:

I love the juxtaposition of the urban garage door and corrugated metal against the quant country charm of the woodstove.

28. Eliza says:

Another Ghany Girl! I went there for four years and completely loved it. Haven’t thought about that place in such a long time.

29. this is a piece of heaven

30. Amy C says:

Wow this looks so ideal, I love WV its so beautiful

31. jess says:

oh, this is so lovely. i grew up in WV and seeing those hills makes me so nostalgic…

32. Holli says:

That looks like the perfect place to relax into oblivion.

33. Elaine says:

I love the Ghanny shout out! It makes me think of learning to play the guitar in our tents that were about the same size as this gorgeous little haven!

34. Courtney says:

This is like a dream from my childhood/teenage years… how fun!

35. robert says:

these folks got it right! off the road, off the beaten path, off grid. in the same way they earned by building it, (no easy task with limited access) one must earn their arrival by working to get there!

36. What a cool place. I happened on it while looking up other Hinkles.

37. Elise says:

A new getaway home has been designed by architect Jeffery Broadhurst! Check out! Pretty neat! Worth looking at!

38. Tim McGowan says:

Absolutely love this shack, mixture of simple materials with the garage door opening to the breathtaking view is terrific, can’t stop looking at it. I will try to duplicate it on my property in north central Pennsylvania overlooking a mountain stream. Thank you for sharing this.