sneak peek: wiz wharton

by

wiz1.jpg
we have the fabulous skinny laminx (aka heather moore, whose sneak peek you can see here) to thank for the tip when it comes to second last sneak peek today- wiz wharton. besides having the coolest name ever, wiz is a freelance scriptwriter and reader who divides her time between writing and consultancy work (you can find her book here). today she’s sharing pictures of her incredible 1960s east london home. click here to see more, full-sized images of her home. [thanks, wiz!]anne

[above: this is ren’s corner of the living room, hence the décor and furnishings! the mini Tulip Table and mini pantons are a wonderful proportion for little hands whilst the vintage sewing box on legs makes an ideal storage unit for arts and crafts materials. artwork on the left is by ren, complimented by a vintage stretched piece of rupert bear fabric. the teak lamp and g plan sideboard (just seen) add warmth to the scheme.]

wiz2.jpg
The bedroom, featuring framed original London Transport signs from the wonderful Haydn at London Transport Original Signs. The framed vintage line diagram of the notorious Northern Line reminds me of many a painful commute to work before I turned freelance!

wiz3.jpg
A corner of our living room. The shelving system is a Weber from Denmark. The Eames rocker is an early upholstered shell. The Kindt-Larsen chair was another ebay purchase and features the skinny armrests and organic shape. I have always liked the idea of mixing vintage with modern and the Habitat tripod light and Ikea rug sit well with their mid-century companions.

wiz4.jpg
The panelling to the hallway was original to the house and was painted white to open up the space. The print is by Japanese artist Shinzo Katoh. The framed “Eep” teatowel is by the fabulous Heather Moore from Skinny Laminx and also features in the bedroom in the olive colourway. The shelving unit is vintage Danish. It has coloured apertures behind the shelves. . . My side of the bed! I find antlers one of the most beautiful design in nature; these are a vintage pair dating from 1936. The vintage library drawers benefit from the addition of some chunky casters which make them super portable. The Habitat MacLamp is an original, one of about six that we own! There’s something iconic about their simple flawless design.

wiz5.jpg
Our beloved Poul Cadovius Royal shelving system. This was an ebay buy that came all the way from Canada! It makes a practical and beautiful storage solution without imposing on valuable floor space. On the shelves a selection of pieces, ranging from Cathrineholm storage canisters to a wooden fruit bowl from MOMA and a Habitat wooden childrens’ bus.

wiz6.jpg
This is my writing space in the bedroom. I would love to have a dedicated office but this does very nicely. The table and chair are original and quite rare James Leonard’s. Designed for schools in the 1950’s a lot of them were destroyed to make way for more recent (and far uglier!) designs. It’s a much debated point whether Prouve or Leonard was the first to pioneer the characteristic compass type leg shape seen on both the table and desk. I love the patina and marks on both these items as I can imagine the history these had in the classroom throughout their original lives. The poster is of the iconic Olivetti Valentine typewriter, designed by Ettore Sottsass, available in London from the Design Museum. The yellow MacLamp is another from my collection. . .The hallway features a Bertoia side chair. The bureau was bought with the coloured handles already done; a quirky take on an essentially traditional and utilitarian piece of furniture. I had the wall colour especially matched to one of the shades on the Lucienne Day cushion cover!

wiz7.jpg
Tomado wall shelving system featuring part of my ever growing Cathrineholm collection. There is something wonderfully pleasing about the symmetry of colour of these objects when grouped together. The glass storage jars with teak lids are from my new favourite vintage cyber haunt, H is for Home. The pull down ceiling light is an original Guzzini from the 1960’s which replaced an almost identical but completely derelict version that we inherited with the house!

1. stacy says:

I love the framed “Write”

2. What a great mix of furnishings especially love the antlers!

3. Kim Gray says:

Love the cushions on the bed, where are they from? Funky space!

4. lindsay says:

I love the sneak peak posts! I adore getting a glimpse into someone else’s home :)

5. tinyheat says:

as always with these sneak peeks..wonderful. i would love to call this my home. i am in love with all the wooden furniture pieces.

6. Karen says:

Where, oh where did you get those pillows with the maps on them? I adore them!

7. david g. says:

Best sneak peek yet! (Well, Matte Stephens’ was pretty phenomenal). I love the Olivetti typewriter poster.

8. kathrynsky says:

Oh, how cute this mini white pantons… uiuiui

9. Kristan says:

I’m LOVING all these wood furniture pieces! And the shelf at the end!

10. Tracey says:

Love the Catherineholm collection on the shelves. Very stylish and eye catching! I really like the orange pieces.

11. Bobble says:

Well done Wiz! It is lovely to see your beautiful home on Design*Sponge.

12. Griffo68 says:

An awesome interior on a fantastic website !! Very well done Wiz! Don’t forget that your blue Eames rocker will be mine one day!! I hope you had as much fun taking your photos as you did for me and a certain Bitchingetc cover! LOL! Lots of love…x

13. Kate says:

Where did the black and white rug come from?

14. Sarah says:

yes, the pillows on the bed are wonderful! Where area they from?

15. I really like the two framed prints in the first photo, esp the stretched fabric, although I guess that is not technically a print.

16. Fantastic to see more of Wiz’s home, and what a thrill to see two of my teatowels framed there. Really, I’m honoured!

17. SB says:

This is just to die for! I just love this week’s sneak peeks (booth of them).

18. Peta says:

I’ve seen many pics of your house before but seeing them altogether here really gives me an idea of how ever so lovely your house is!!
    xx

19. Wiz Wharton says:

Wow, thanks so much everyone. I was saying to Anne how I felt intimidated by the other beautiful homes on here and didn’t feel worthy of being on Sneak Peeks but you have all made my day, truly! Your comments brought a lump to my throat.
    Griffo and Bobble, my eternal love for you and Bitching Etc – a fantastic forum for interiors nuts like me!!!
    Okay, the rug is from Ikea, believe it or not and is called the Alvine Triangel. The map cushions are from Habitat here in the UK (I think you can order online!). They were designed for children but I just had to pinch them for the bed being yellow and all….LOL!
    Thanks again, everyone!!

20. katie says:

my dream home.. just gorgeous

21. Melafrque says:

Congrats Eames. Nice to see your home here.

22. Some really beautiful pieces! I love/want the Kindt-Larsen chair.

23. Rebecca says:

Are those Rude Osolnik candlesticks along with the catherineholm vessels?

Your house is beautiful and totally inviting.

24. ana says:

is so unpleasant to see those horrible têtes de cerf hanging dead in the walls

25. Mia says:

Loved seeing even more pics of your lovely home. The catherineholm collection looks fab and if Griffo doesnt get the Eames rocker I’m next in the queue please :-D
    you have a very good way of mixing things together its very impressive well done ! see you over on BE !!!

26. Kallie says:

These pictures are beautiful, but I have to say that the “Not in Service” sign stopped me…why on earth would you put that over the bed? Isn’t that very bad feng shui? Self-fulfilling prophecy and all that…

27. Wiz Wharton says:

Hi Kallie, thanks for the comments! I am actually half oriental so grew up with the whole concept of Feng Shui. I actually prefer to think of the sign as ironic (it was my version of birth control)rather than bad luck as I actually think supersititions like Feng Shui are more likely to become “self-filfilling prophecies” and stop you asserting your personal choice and freewill in the world. I embrace everyone’s right to have an opinion and that’s just mine! :)

28. Gadgets says:

I really like the secretary as it is a great update of a classical furniture piece. This is something that can fit in well in any room and still be functional while hiding a messy desk.

29. Sue says:

Argh – that is the red wooden child’s bus that I regretted not buying while in Dublin! To be fair, I wanted the black cab and the ambulance as well….and I have no children….

But still :)

Why is there no Habitat branch in the US?!

30. Janet Heneghan says:

Wow wiz, I finally get to see what your house looks like, it is gorgeous. Wish I could get you here to put your design touch to my humble home in Auckland.

I definately do not have the eye you have.

(big sis) Jan X

31. Mikey says:

I just bouhgt a Kind-Larsen chair on Craigslist. I thought it was a Finn Juhl design. what was the final sales price on ebay?

32. Ciara says:

Not in Service, ha, bet the hubby loves that! ;) Fab home, so fun.