sneak peek: vanessa dina

by

v11.jpg
when i was out in san francisco last month i had the pleasure of stopping by chronicle books and seeing where all the magic happens. while i was there i met vanessa dina, one of the design directors, who kindly sent along pictures of her lovely home for our second sneak peek of the day. read on, and click here for more full-sized images. as always, you can find all of the sneak peeks here. [thanks, vanessa!] -anne

[Above: Bedroom: Danish cerdenza with white lacquered top from the 60’s. Linens from Antropologie with a circle embossed pillow from Ikea. Paper mobile for 99 cents! Who doesn’t love a bargain? And a Cinni fan to keep me cool when the fog disappears for a week!]
v21.jpg

Kitchen: I continue to collect plates for my wall. So far I have transferware, 60’s prints (Autumn collection) and modern plastic ware (couldn’t resist the pink bird). The salmony-pink vinyl chairs I found on the street and the cream ones were from a thrift store. Always fresh flowers on the table (peonies) and of course my cookbook on hand: The Meat Club Cookbook, For Gals Who Love Their Meat. Co-authored and designed by yours truly.

v3.jpgMy living room. Thankfully it gets fantastic light during the day. When I moved in the walls were painted burgundy with faux wood-colored trim. I repainted everything a neutral cream color and covered the fireplace with black matte paint. Chairs are a mix of old and new: Eames and Ikea. Curtains: Ikea fabric and vintage barkcloth from a flea market. Hanging lamp: I made using extension wire and a spot light lampshade from Cole Hardware. Coffee table on rollers has spaces beneath that perfectly hide colored cushions from Urban Outfitters. Sofa folds out to a bed–great for sleepovers.

v4.jpg
Mantel: Old pics of my mom and I and one of my grandmother, tealight holder from the 60’s, vintage labels I found from scouring flea markets, a pack of Mexican cigarettes from the Mission (such charming packaging) and letters that spell out one of my weakness: “meat.”

v5.jpg
An easy way to brighten up a space: Decorate with edibles and flowers. I tend to group items by their color. Here are some kumquats surrounded by vintage pics of my family and a poster from a Callum Innes exhibit at Kew Gardens.
v6.jpg

My collection of SF MUNI passes. The colors each month are such a welcomed surprise I hate to throw them away.

v7.jpg
Here’s a still life of some of my favorite things–books, flowers, and dishware. Jonathan Adler vase with a yellow transferware teacup and saucer that I found at a local street fair for $2! Penguin came out with a series of short stories by various writers. I bought them all. A great read and they look beautiful spine-out. Inside the teacup is an air plant that flowered last week. Print is from sugarloop.

v8.jpg
Another collection of goodies: mini Rex ray print, Ikea vase, and handmade vase by a local SF artist (can’t remember her name?!) Birds on branch were bought from Radish and Rose.

1. Pamela Day-Lewis says:

So Fab! Great use of color and amazing eye for mixing old and new. And love the meat book. Lucky for me, I already have it!…

2. katy says:

What a beautiful home!!! I’m so inspired by the color choices. Such a happy charming place to live!

3. neil says:

Great living room; where is the coffee table from?

4. Gorgeous! What a great I you have. Your home seems so personal and very welcoming. I love the coffee table, I’m actually making one very similar in a couple weeks!

5. megan says:

i’m totally in love with this space. so pretty.

6. Wow Vanessa! Great Place. I also keep my muni passes. I just can’t seem to part with them.

7. VisuaLingual says:

Wow, I love all the color combinations in this home, especially how beautifully the black fireplace pops in the living room!

8. Oh my..what a beautiful home :)

9. Wow, I paint a lot of things and see a lot of painted things… I must say I have never seen black painted brick. But it really works. I love it!

10. From the light, airy feel of this abode, I’d never know vanessa was a “meat” addict! LOL. I love the Anthropololgie linens and the plate collection. Also the collection of MUNI passes – I used to look forward to the colors on my monthly MBTA passes, which were decidedly more “east coast” in pallete.

I’m on a couch mission – is it alright to ask where the sleek sleeper sofa is from?

11. ericka says:

I LOVE that black fireplace, and the yellow transferware teacup is so cute! Great find for 2 bucks!!!

12. What a wonderful place! You’ve got a great sense of style and awesome vintage collection. That matte black mantel is genius.

13. aLi. says:

how refreshing! great mix of modern and comfy – i also love the colors of the muni passes too, i never would have thought of that!

14. meat girl says:

the coffee table is from Ikea! I bought it years ago. The sleeper sofa is from a shop called Therapy in SF. I think it’s Danish. Forgot the maker’s name.

15. holly hatam says:

What a beautiful and cozy home…I am especially loving the black fireplace…what a great way to make a statement!

16. Sara says:

You have an amazing eye for creating fun, colorful moments all over your place! Also, I own your Meat Club book and cook from it ALL the time. So many fantastic recipes. And, such great sass. Thanks for sharing!

17. Ha, I must have been distracted by your lovely photos…I obviously meant “eye” rather than “I” in my previous comment! *shakes head at herself*

18. Honestly, this is one of my favorite sneak peaks, EVER! I think its my dream home. Absolutely beautiful.

19. *cyn says:

The color of the wood floor in the bedroom pics is so yummy… like honey! I also love the muni passes. What a great idea. In NY we only have the metro cards and they are definitely not that displayable.

20. Mischa says:

I had the pleasure of working with Vanessa at Chronicle last summer and am not at all surprised to see that her home is as lovely and cheerful as she is! Beautiful!

21. jessica ann says:

i love the credenza and the black fireplace. love the vintage touches with the lovely crisp and modern aspects as well.

22. Condo Blues says:

Your muni passes just go to show that properly displaying anything unique (I love the colors too!) in multiples leads to good disign. Love that!

23. LOVE the matte black fireplace. That is something that would never occur to me. Thank you for the inspiration!

24. Eray says:

you made muni passes look good.
    great now I can’t throw mine away.

25. mrs. french says:

Such a wonderful peek! I never thought I would be into a black fireplace…I have been converted!

26. Mhari says:

wow, what a lovely home!

27. Janet says:

love the black fireplace. Never would have tried the black (painted mine white). Got to have the meat lovers cookbook.

28. lindsay says:

A very charming abode. Chock full of inspiration!

29. Elizabeth W says:

1) i go coo-coo for credenzas and i’m in LUV with yours 2) the colors used in your living room and that of my fantasy living room (in my fantasy midcentury ranch), 3) i love how the floral paper and picture frame look against the black brick on your mantle 4) the binder clips are a cute idea for displaying photos! overall yours is one of the mist delightful sneak peeks EVER!

30. Harry C says:

Vanessa’s home puts a smile on my face and inspires me to think differently about the use color in my own home!
    Not to mention … I feel blessed to be her friend! (girl … that color theory class paid off)

31. Lauren says:

Hi–awesome light in the living room. Can you give us east coasters more info on how you made it? I’d love to order the shade from Cole Hardware if you remember the name/number. Thanks!

32. Val says:

Wait a minute; how’d you get a senior fast pass?

33. meat girl says:

sorry i don’t have the model number but the lights are called clamp lights. i removed the metal clamp, bought a light socket, and heater cord that was sold by the foot. any hardware store should have all the fixin’s. it was pretty easy.

as for the senior muni pass… that month i was mugged and my MUNI pass was in my purse. oddly enough the next day I found a Senior pass on the floor of the train station and added that one to my collection!

34. jules says:

Unbelievably beautiful! I loved evey single thing in your apartment!!! The colors are spectacular! Looks like something out of a magazine : )

35. Marina says:

PLEASE!!! I love the red curtains in the living room, are they from IKEA? I looked and looked and cannot find any mention of them anywhere!

36. meat girl says:

The orange fabric is from IKEA -about 5 years ago. They were selling the fabric by the yard. I stitched them to hang as curtains.

37. margarita surenyan says:

enjoyed viewing design sponge..please tell me how you came up with it…and if I shall be so bold..please tell me a liitle about you.,thank you so much

38. Allie says:

I wish I could keep my collection of muni passes but I have to submite them each month for reimbursement. This month is a pretty purple scheme.

39. love the plates on the wall.

40. melanie says:

i love the fireplace!

41. I know it’s been a while since this was posted, but I just stumbled upon it and had to ask about the teacup and saucer. Who are they made by? Thanks!!

42. Jenn Staz says:

I googled Vanessa Dina because I just found the book “Whoopie Pies” book by Chronicle Books and had to know who the graphic designer was. I’m so glad I found your post. I adore her apartment and appreciate you sharing.
    You have a new follower!!