diy wednesdays: stenciled trivets

trivet_beauty_1.jpg
we came across these tiles during one of our regular hardware store browsing sessions. normally used to tile your kitchen or bathroom, they’re an irresistible bargain at 45 cents apiece. add a little spray painted design and some stick-on vinyl pads for feet and you’ve got yourself a custom trivet for less than $1. (while we were at it, we couldn’t resist cutting out the same flower silhouette on cardstock to make a few bright little window garlands.) click here for the full instructions (and pattern template) for both projects or just click “read more” below.

have fun!
derek & lauren

window.jpg

here’s what you’ll need:
two 6” x 6” white tiles
8 1/2” x 11” piece of con-tact paper
x-acto blade
spray enamel (available at automotive supply stores)
peel and stick rubber pads
(optional) card stock

1. print out your stencil design directly onto the back of the con-tact paper. (click here to download a printable pdf of the flower stencil we used.)

step1.jpg

2. carefully cut out using your x-acto blade.
3. peel off the backing of the con-tact paper and adhere both the positive and negative shapes onto the tiles.

step3.jpg

4. in a well-ventilated area, apply two light coats of spray enamel onto the tiles. (we made ourselves a mini spray booth out of a cardboard box.)

step4.jpg

5. while the paint is still slightly tacky, carefully peel off the con-tact paper making sure not to touch the paint. let the tiles dry completely.

6. apply 4 rubber pads onto the back of each tile.

step6.jpg

*for the window garlands, print out two flowers onto each 8 1/2” x 11” piece of colored cardstock, and cut out with your x-acto blade. punch a small hole in the top and bottom of each flower and attach using thread.

1. Carolin says:

I love it!!! These are a great idea for a wedding gift.

2. ruth singer says:

wonderfully simple design. lovely.

3. Melissa says:

Great idea! I have a tile trivet that I made in grades chool, that needs a face-lift. Maybe I’ll do a little stencil. Thanks for the tip!

4. lavon says:

I will give this a try. I know several people getting married this may be exactly what I will get them.

thanks

5. simplygrove says:

So Fun! Love these!

6. I love the window garlands. I think I’m going to go with it and make a mobile for my friend’s new baby. Thanks for the inspiration!

7. Pretty! And the spray booth idea really is ingenious!! Thanks for a solution to make DIY life easier=)
    Trudi

8. lealou says:

these are awesome!

9. I’m definitely going to try this project!

10. Loretta says:

Exactly what my new kitchen needs ;) I’m thinking of using black and white and maybe some blue…..

11. shell (from England) says:

i love the idea, planning to do coasters for christmas table, and also get the boy s to do a design

12. kathy Mark says:

These are beautiful. What a great gift idea for my daughters first kitchen. Thank you for sharing.

13. Aaraena says:

These look absolutely adorable. I have a couple tiles lying around at home and was wondering what to do with them. Could you tell me what paint you used for these?
    Thank you for sharing.

14. Jessica says:

are these waterproof?
    super cute!

15. Bailey says:

Where is the stencil?

16. miranda says:

instruction #5 confuses me greatly.

17. Fernanda says:

Hi! I can’t download a printable pdf of the flower stencil. How I do?
    Thanks,