sneak peek: joanna of looolo

by

joanna1.jpg
for biogradable textile designer joanna notkin, the home is not only where she lives, its also the place where the designs for looolo textiles come to fruition. it’s also the stop for our fist sneak peek of the day. with the founding belief good design is sustainable design, joanna and looolo seem to be everywhere you look. check out last thursday’s feature in the new york times, and more still to come in the june issue of dwell, and if that’s not enough, there’s always her recipe for cupcakes from our “in the kitchen with” series. thanks to joanna for sharing her home with us! you can click here for additional full-sized images, and stay tuned for a second sneak peek at 1. -anne

[Above: The bedroom is all about quiet for me so I like to keep it white and simple. Pillows add splashed of colour and I can change them depending on my mood.]
joanna2.jpgMy living room is usually used as a design space and so we keep it pretty sparse so that things can move in a out. Today we had two ginormous poufs in there which will be a brand new collaboration with furniture designers/manufacturers and fellow Montrealers, Periphere, a brother and sister design team. The poufs will launch this month in New York at ICFF- We hope to see Grace there!!!joanna3.jpgI LOVE to cook and so the kitchen is a wonderful place for me to be. I painted the wall a charcoal grey called Bleeker Street by Ralph Lauren and chosen because of my love for the Big Apple! I used Ikea shelving because it seemed the most versatile I could find and I thought that it could work well in any space be it a kitchen or a bathroom. Most of the things in my kitchen are collected. The invisible shelf for my cookbooks is from Umbra. joanna4.jpgFor my workspace I love the Ikea shelving unit which can be reconfigured at any time. In a small apartment “up” is the only way to go!joanna5.jpg A vintage book shelf houses only about a quarter of my magazine collection!. . .I design from home which I absolutely love. Most items are made at the manufacturer here in Montreal but some pieces are sewn here. The coloured bands which we wrap around old cardboard fabric bolts add a wonderful dimension of colour to the place. I love neutral so most of my furnishings are wood, glass or sort of muted.
glass-collection.jpg
The glass collection I keep on my nightstand. The night stands themselves are antiques from my grandmother, as are the chairs in my living room.looolo-living-room.jpgThe living room and a selection of cushions- We used this image for our latest postcards. I really love the mixture of old and new- very antique vs. very modern.

1. aquarabbit says:

what a lovely and serene space! What is the drawing in the photo with the IKEA shelving? …is it a lobster? I’m fascinated…!

2. lauren says:

Those pillows are adorb. I can’t wait to getmy hands on some!

3. Anile says:

Yeah Montreal represent!! I am in love with the ruffles and the textures. The photos are fabulous but I can’t check the ones on flickr, they’re marked private at the moment.

4. Chel says:

do you happen to know the name of the shelving unit from IKEA? i’ve been looking for a shelving unit just like that.
    & your home looks so fabulous! i love the contrast of the classic with the modern. & all the different splashes of colo.! GORGEOUS!

5. Joanna says:

Thanks! The shelves are the greatest and can be found here :

The drawing of the lobster was a project from college where we were asked to do present a piece of worked based on a personal experience and based on the work of one of our favorite artists, mine being Chuck Close. It’s a hand drawn lobster made using only words and no other shading.

6. Those pillows are adorable, I want one:) Love the green.

7. ThePeachTree says:

There wasn’t a photo hear that I didn’t think: “oh, that would look great in my…” or “How perfect that would fit in my….” and “man, I love that!”

8. Jennifer says:

I really love her pillows! All the ruffles are so fun & a great softener against the strict, clean lines of modern furniture!

9. Heather McCall says:

You mentioned the paint in the kitchen. Could you also indicate the paints in the rest of the flat? Thanks!

10. Joanna says:

Believe it or not the paint in the rest of the apartment is all the same colour! When I moved in the landlord said he woulr provide me with the paint but that he would not paint the place. It was a cheap white contractors paint that I had tinted to make an off white which has a tinge of red in it to warm it up. I find white walls pick up the colours in the room so each room truly looks different!

11. boontharika says:

I really really like when you did sneak a peek (*^^*)v

and became a big fan who addicted to it^^

love:):)

pi.-

12. Cayla Hache says:

I am really, really, really happy to see that you are still making beautiful, playful and meaningful pillows and textiles. And that you are getting such a huge amount of positive response and exposure. I am endlessly inspired by your work.

13. Such a lovely home. Thanks for sharing!

14. Camila says:

jo’s my buddy from university. so exciting to see this!

15. Brilliant sculptural use of fabric as texture. On a blank canvas such as pillows is pure perfection!!