diy project: kate’s recycled cakestands

this diy project is inspired by one of my favorite ceramic artists, sarah cihat. i found most of my plates and candlesticks at goodwill. i also used some of those little vases you get when someone gives you flowers, which normally i think are ugly, but here they seem to have found a purpose! i left many of the cakestands bare because i love the original plate designs. if you aren’t happy with the plate or base you can always paint them, or give them a graphic silhouette design (instructions below) like sarah’s rehabilitated dishware. so, if you’re ready to create your own diy cakestands (which operate well as cupcake-stands, too!) click here for the full instructions. happy crafting! –kate

Kate’s Recycled Cake/Cupcake Stands

What You’ll Need:

– old plates (any size)
– old candlesticks or vases (look for anything that is wider at the bottom, with a sturdy base and a flat top)
– epoxy (from a hardware store)
– masking tape
– popsicle stick or q-tips without their fluff (something to apply the epoxy with)
– paper plate or scrap cardboard (something to mix the epoxy on that you can throw out)
– rags and cleaning solution

For the variation:

– template of silhouette (or you can free hand)
– contact paper
– scissors
– spray paint

Directions:

1. Pick out which pieces you want to put together and test it out. They should be able to balance on each other without the glue. If not, you may want to rethink your choices..is your plate too uneven or does your base have a flat enough top?

2. Clean all plates and vases/candlesticks thoroughly. Dry completely.

3. Measure the back of the plate and mark a dot in the center with a pen or marker.

4. Squeeze out a little epoxy and follow its directions for use. After it’s mixed, apply it to the top of the candlestick/vase and gently place your base upside down onto the plate, using your dot as a guide to help you center it.

5. Let it sit for a few minutes, then gently press down on it to hold it in place and get rid of any excess epoxy with a q-tip. Apple tape on four sides to anchor it while it dries.

6. Let it dry overnight.

VOILA!

Note: While these are sturdier than you would expect, they are not dishwasher safe. I recommend gently cleaning by hand.

Silhouette version:

After the cakestand is glued together and dried overnight, you can pretty much do whatever you want with it: paint, decoupage, etc. I really love Sarah Cihat’s graphic patterns so I decided to do something similar on one of my less attractive plate/vase combos.

1. Trace and cut out your pattern on contact paper. Make sure contact paper still has its paper backing on it when you do this.

2. Gently peel contact paper away from its backing and place the sticky side on your plate where you want the design to go. Press down evenly and smooth out any and all air bubbles. Make sure all edges are firmly pressed down.

3. Prime the entire plate and base with primer spray paint and let dry (you will need to flip it over a couple times, make sure the top is dry before you flip it to spray the bottom).

4. Paint it whatever color you wish. Let dry completely.

5. When dry, use an exacto to carefully lift the contact paper.

Note: This plate is not meant to have your bare food placed on it. Usually I place cupcakes or pies in their pans on cakestands. If you want to be able to put food directly on it, I recommend sealing it with a varnish or sealant.

*if you’d prefer to buy rather than craft, you can pick up these exact cake stands from kate at her etsy shop right here!

1. janelle says:

i did this for our wedding a fewweeks ago and i spray painted half of them red and half light blue. I used ugly plates that could fit 8 inch cakes and had varying heights (different candle sticks and vases) with the tallest one as the focal point with a ceramic cake topper from etsy. everyone LOVED them and some people took one home as a keepsake. :o) i was very happy with the price and the outcome – $25 for plates, glue, and spray paint. and the cake was fantastic and still cost cost about $100 less than if I had gone with a ‘wedding’ cake!

i don’t have my pics up, but my mom has a few (not the best, but you get the idea!): http://www.flickr.com/photos/10696725@N02/3595824769/in/set-72157619175452325/

2. Natasha says:

Thanks so much for this idea, made a beautiful set for my friend’s wedding.
    pics on my blog!

3. Deb says:

I looooove this kind of upcycling!!! These are all so beautiful.

4. Sooo….all you clever kitties that have done this with paint, what am I looking for on my spraypaint level to ensure the type I buy won’t run everywhere, and will instead give a nice finish? I’ve tried spraypainting a few shiny, smooth things (like tins), and I’m just left with streaks. I welcome tips; welcome them!

5. Lisa says:

I love all of these. Will def be making some xmas ones for entertaining and gift giving.

6. Jessica says:

This is such a great idea, it’s unique and crafty. I just might use this idea at my wedding!

7. cindy says:

I used glass glue and the inside of the glass under the plate made a gas or something and it turned white. What did i do wrong?

8. lauri says:

I simply love this! What a brilliant idea. I do wish I saw this earlier. I just redid my kitchen and adjoining room and got rid of two china cabinets and chucked all my bud vases and candlesticks. I am sure I will find more…..a girl just cannot have enough cake plates!

9. lian says:

so creative I must say. I’ve seen this idea before, but your execution looks sublime! wow.

10. Sashuh says:

Wow. This is definitely on my list of To Dos! Amazing and very unique!

11. Kelly says:

I love this idea. Thanks for the tutorial.

12. carmen says:

Thank you so much for this idea I needed pedestal displays for a friends wedding and these turned out perfect…

13. Shelley Connors says:

Just wondered if these are “tippy”…especially when cutting the cake? I love the idea though…any feedback?

14. Lucy Gorman says:

We’ve made these for center pieces for weddings. Secure floral foam to the center and design away. The last one we did, the Bride found the plates, we secured vintage candlesticks, then the flowers and they gave them away at the end of the wedding.