diy project: jessica jones’ office supplies

i always have a few small swatches of fabric sitting around the house (i’m a habitual purl soho and repro depot shopper) so this diy project is right up my alley. jessica jones at how about orange sent over her office supplies makeover project and we both thought it would be fun to share here. so, if you’ve got some office supplies that need sprucing up and a little spare time, click here to read the full instruction for this project. happy crafting! [thanks, jessica!]

Jessica Jones’ Office Supplies Makeover (via How About Orange)

While procrastinating at my desk yesterday, I found myself staring at our letter opener and thinking how plain it looked. Clearly I couldn’t keep using such an abomination. It must be decorated.

And those clips. So black. No fun. I’d seen some lovely binder clips available for purchase here and here, decoupaged with paper, but I wasn’t sure how fabric would work. Experiment time.

1) I tried three options: fabric pieces with iron-on interfacing applied, fabric with HeatnBond applied (not that I was going to iron it to the metal, but it makes your fabric sort of papery when you’ve pulled off the backing), and just plain fabric.
2) Trimmed the pieces carefully to size.
3) Removed the wire handles of the clips (very easy).
4) Applied spray adhesive to the back of the fabric pieces and stuck them to the surfaces.
5) Reattached the wire handles.
6) Painted on two coats of gel medium (thinned with a little water) to seal the fabric on.

Verdict: My interfacing was too thick. Not needed. HeatnBond was good, because it gave the fabric just a bit of stiffness, making it easier to position. Fabric alone worked okay, too. The gel medium seals it down so the edges won’t fray. Happiness.

1. Candis says:

These are cool. She always has such cool ideas.

2. simplygrove says:

So cute! Looks like a fun project

3. Leigh says:

Love this! I nearly bought an overpriced pack of binder clips at Staples last week that had patterns printed on them. DIY to the rescue! These are way cuter and more affordable!

4. aya says:

You can also use Origami papers for decorations!

5. Andrea says:

yea! With this I can also differentiate my stationery from my classmate’s!

6. Jackie says:

I love these, such a great way to perk up a dreary office environment! And forgive my ignorance but what’s a “gel medium”… would that be something like mod podge???

7. Darlene says:

What a fantastic and colorful idea! Thanks so much for sharing.

8. cute stuff! we should have cute office supplies to match our decor!

9. Lee-Anne says:

I love this idea! Thanks for sharing!

10. Great post, thank you for that!