before and after: sarah’s home

today’s last before & after belongs to photographer and vegan cookbook superstar sarah kramer. sarah has done a number on her once-traditional home, updating it with fantastic vintage furniture and a wall full of one of my favorite all-time wallpaper prints. i hope you’ll enjoy the checking out the results of sarah’s before & after home makeover as much as i did. if you’d like to see additional, full-sized photos of sarah’s before & after home, click here. thanks so much to sarah for sharing!

[image above: dining room “before”; top image above intro is sarah’s dining room “after”]

[image above: hallway “before”]

[image above: hallway “after”]

[image above: living room “before”]

[image above: living room “after”]

1. Melanie says:

Whoa! I’ve never seen a turntable like that – anyone know anything about it?

2. Gillian says:

Please please please tell me what sort of table that is, where the chairs fit in perfectly. It is WONDERFUL!

3. Abby says:

Wow! What a change. A lot of the spaces we see on here show gradual or predictable changes where people add to or improve a small aspect of their environment. It’s nice to see a complete overhaul because it shows that a stark difference is sometimes the thing most called for. Great job!

4. Karen says:

I love this house sooo much! from the beautiful color conbos, to the vintag touches, to that blue velvet poster in the living room, its gorgeous. this is a gal after my own heart!!!

5. who knew velvet paintings would look so well in a modern hip space and I just love the contrast of the two styles!! I think its so funny to see how we all are so incredibly different.

6. sarah says:

Hi Everyone.
    To answer some of your questions …

The record player is a electrohome bubble record player. I believe they were only sold in Canada. If you do a quick google search they are always some up for grabs.

The dining table is a 60’s design. Hans Olsen by Frem Røjle

If you stop by the flicker page:
    I explain some of the finer details of the house.

So happy you all like it! :)

7. turtleesq says:

The Hans Olsen table was blogged extensively on apartmenttherapy.

It comes in two versions – chairs with three legs, chairs with four legs. You can do a search on for “Hans Olsen” and it will come up.

8. stacy says:

WOW what an amazing change. I need someone to come do that to my place.

9. VisuaLingual says:

Wow, I love the “after” photos but, above all, it’s astounding to see the transformation! Congratulations!

10. Bridget says:

I LOVE the credenza that the TV sits on….

11. megan says:

what a great makeover! thanks for sharing. :)

12. lulu says:

did you get hit by lightning? i mean that in the kindest way, because the before and after pics look like the homes of two TOTALLY different people. i love the new you!

13. Heather says:

I LOVE That lamp! Where can I get one, too?

Thanks! & AWESOME accomplishment!

14. Becca says:

Possibly my dream house?? no, no, definitely. I would love love love to do that to my boring place….so beautiful.

15. sarah says:

Lulu … the ‘before’ photos were of the house before we bought it. There was a 89 year old woman living here before us. *laugh*

Heather… the lamp was a thrift store score and is one of my most treasured items.

16. Dani says:

This is amazing. I’m glad you posted this, D*S, because often I look at the “sneak peaks” and I think, “sure, I’d have an amazing house, too if *I* had built-in bookshelves and fabulous molding around my fireplace and exposed rafters. One request: can you find someone who has done something innovative with neutral, wall-to-wall carpeting? I *love* the hardwood floors that show up in all of these homes, but they are beyond my budget at the moment. Please give me reason to believe that all is not lost!!

17. Lisa Grover says:

looks great Sarah you did a fantastic job!! Congrats

18. Jessica says:

Great job sarah!

I love how you made the house unrecognizable and totally you

it looks as if you’ve lived there for years- congrats!

19. Wow!!! What an incredible transformation!!!! Serious props for this! And hey everybody, don’t forget to enter Urban Flea’s weekly contest; this time, it’s beds! So check it out, and keep spreading that sweet Urban Flea gospel!
    xo Katherine aka. Urban Flea :)

20. leeloves says:

i absolutely adore the dining room.

21. alivicwil says:

I adore that photo of the pouting girl in the hallway (after)!!

I was going to ask if it was you, Sarah, but I just looked at your Flickr page, and found that it is :) What a brilliant idea.

22. femme.fatal says:

wow, this is stunning. what a feel and flavor you have added

23. Henry says:

Sorry to sound a little negative amongst this concertos of “ooos” and “aaas”. This is not a makeover, whats the point of having the “before” pictures, since you are just removing everything and replacing it with your own. Sorry but there is no real design approach here, you simple took a box and filled it with your furnitures…
    had you done something with the existing furniture, now that would have been a tour de force….

24. Holy Vataha says:

I can not contain my love for before and after pictures.

We’re looking for a house right now…and I’m really excited about being able to post before&after pics…it will be a little bit before we get to that stage…but stay tuned! haha

Btw, that standing record player rocks!

25. alison says:

looks like she changed out the flooring and the wallpaper. i’m not a professional designer, but to me those changes are a tour de force.

26. Viva la black velvet paintings!

27. Petchy says:

Love it! And this is a rather funny coincidence: the wallpaper in the diningroom “after” photo… Mum and Dad have that exact wallpaper in their bedroom :)

28. Melanie says:

Wow! So amazing. Love the floors and use of colours! Also amazing art collection.

29. design snob says:

The minty green paint color is so nice! It’s amazing what a fresh coat of paint, eclectic artwork, and some cool mid-century modern furniture can do for a space. Love it!

30. Lillian says:

Love it! Would you share your wallpaper source? Thanks!

31. sarah says:

Wallpaper is from:

Just do a search for Matchstick :)

32. Sarah IS a cookbook superstar! And a decorating superstar! Thanks for sharing her great place.

33. i love the dining table. over the weekend i saw a coffee table with the same concept–with stools. very cool.

34. Nate says:

whoa that house was so drab!
    design rules :)

35. Ross says:

It is absolutely different from what it was. The question is… Is it better?