2008 Scholarship Finalists: Finalists 1-2

sifting through nearly 2,000 applicants for this year’s scholarship was a herculean task. i was completely bowled over by the talent and thoughtfulness of each applicant. to narrow this group down to a top eleven twelve would only have been possible with the help and input of our judging panel: the d*s staff (contributing writers and ad team) and this year’s scholarship sponsors: domino magazine, 2modern, and paper studio. we narrowed it to a top ten and i had to add one two more candidate that i felt really deserved to be in the final round. 2 finalists will be introduced every hour until 1pm, at which point the voting survey will become active and votes will be recorded. voting will continue until 10pm next thursday, may 22. and our winners will be announced the next day, friday may 23. and now, for our first two finalists- drumroll please…..

[finalist #1: chelsea walkenhorst]

-chelsea is a junior studying interior design at utah state university
click here to view more of chelsea’s work.
click here to vote for chelsea walkenhorst (voting will open at 1pm)

[finalist #2: yeawon kim]

-yaewon is a senior studying textile design at the ontario college of art & design
click here to view more of yaewon’s work.
Click click here to vote for yaewon kim (voting will open at 1pm)

1. Drew Shiel says:

You don’t make it easy, do you? On the one hand, illustrations, and on the other, pattern. Tough choice, but 1pm your time is still some time away for me.

2. Jessie says:

Lovely stuff!!

3. Yeawon was one of my students at OCAD. Her work was always beautifully conceived and executed. Her “blood cell’ installation was one of the highlights of this years annual grad exhibition. Yaewon-YOU ROCK!!

4. Sebastian says:

Love ur art!! it looks like the traditional
    Korean paint!! Great art and so proud of it…

5. Erin says:

I love your work!such a beautiful piece!just loved it!good job!

6. Lauren says:

OMG!! I am so touched by her works.. I really enjoyed her details and decorations..!!
    The color combinations are so superb! I allow that she is a genius!!

7. Vivian Lee says:

I’ve seen your other works but this one is definately my favorite! I really like the harmony of the translucent drawing and the vividly colored birds. It reminds me of a pleasent combination of Asia and Western. All together it gives the sense of spaciousness, puritiy and coziness.

8. Steve B. says:

I have to say that I love the elegant yet energetic patterns. Nice emphasis expressed by contrasting dimensions. Very nice.

9. Sarah says:

Good job! Very delicate and elegant! Just mind-blowing!

10. Joshua says:

This is the best work I’ve seen so far.

11. JaneG says:

yeawon kim – your work is beautiful. I love the “Invisible World”

12. I’m thrilled to see Yaewon’s work featured here! Yaewon was my studio mate at OCAD, and her work has always been amazingly executed, but most of all simply beautiful. Good luck Yaewon!

13. Whitney says:

I love your details and pattenrs!my favorite is also the ‘invisible world’!beautiful!

14. Jason says:

good work~!
    very calm and peaceful pattern!
    love it

15. Young eun Choi says:

It is just beautiful!! my friend~
    I am so proud of you.
    Good luck~!!

16. Woong Sup says:

So beautiful piece !
    This is the best work I’ve seen before. Good job ! !

17. Angie says:

I love Chelsea’s work! I am so proud!

18. James K says:

Love her work.
    every pieces explain her passion in to it.
    This is ART

19. Heather says:

Good Luck, and great work, Chelsea!

20. Nellie says:

Chelsea. I absolutly love your work. I want to pull up a chair and live in your drawings.

21. Ashley says:

While I enjoyed Finalist #1’s renderings, I feel there is a lack of texture, color sophistication, and imagination. Finalist #2 fo so!