we’re always on the lookout for fun materials we can use in our diy projects. this time we found it right under our noses (actually it was right under our cats’ noses). after giving them a special treat of wet food the other day, we decided to repurpose the empty can into a handy little pincushion. all it took was some poly-fil, a strip of decorative paper, and some leftover linen from our appliqué pillow project. super simple, super cheap, and our cats are already begging us to make another one. click here for the full instructions or just click “read more” below.
derek & lauren
Tin Can Pincushion
Here’s what you’ll need:
-1 small tin can
-1 piece of fabric, approx. 8” x 8”
-handful of poly-fil
-small piece of gift wrap or other decorative paper
-blade and straight edge for cutting paper
1. carefully remove label from outside of can.
2. trace label onto your piece of decorative paper, adding 1/2″ to the length for overlap.
3. attach to can with one small strip of double-stick tape, and overlap ends with a second piece of tape.
4. place a handful of poly-fil in the center of your fabric square, gathering the ends to create a loose ball shape.
5. line the inside rim of the can with hot glue and insert the fabric/poly-fil ball, with raw edges going into the bottom of the can.
6. tuck in fabric until it is taut. insert pins.