diy project: natasha’s babydoll coat rack

i’m still plowing through all of the fantastic projects featured as part of the 2008 d*s diy contest and today we’re sharing one of the more controversial piecesnatasha’s babydoll coat rack. you guys seemed to be divided right down the middle between “that totally creeps me out!” and “that is the coolest thing i’ve ever seen” but overall it was definitely a project that generated a lot of discussion- as well as a few emails from manufacturers wanting to talk to natasha. so who knows, maybe we’ll see these babydoll racks in stores some day soon. until then, if you’d like to know how to build your own, natasha has included her full project instructions below. just click here for the full instructions or click “read more” below. thanks, natasha!

Natasha’s Babydoll Coat Rack

What You’ll Need:

-Soft body doll with hard plastic hands and feet (they will have a backing on them)
-Piece of wood, about 2 feet long
-12 screws
-Heavy duty keyhole hangers
-Drywall anchors and screws
-GE Silicone II household glue
-Pen or pencil
-Sand paper
-X-acto knife with chisel like blade (#17)
-Sense of humor

1. Dismember your doll

2. Arrange hands and feet on board in an order you like. Space them evenly apart, marking their positions with a pen or pencil. Set limbs aside.

3. Drill 3 holes per limb. I counter sank the holes so the board would lie flat against the wall. Make sure your holes will not come too close to the edge of the limb, because the screw make poke out of the side of a hand or foot.

4. Position keyhole hanger and mark the spot. Chisel out the wood until the hanger fits snugly and until the drywall screws’ heads fit.

5. Sand your wood a little and paint it. Let dry.

6. Put some glue on limbs. Screw them on. Let dry.

7. Put anchors and screws in your wall and hang up your new coat rack. Hang up your coats and jackets.

1. Jenny says:

This is a great innovative idea and it’s fantastic that Natasha has been generous enough to share the idea with us so we can make our own. But has Samantha of OneLuckyFish gone too far in using Natasha’s photo to sell on Etsy?
    Does Natasha wish to hold some copyright over her photo? Just thought I should let you know…

2. if people think this is scary, they should see the toddlerpedes by Jon Beinart. Thanks.

3. Jane says:

Two words: disturbing, creepy

4. Rebekka says:

I love this! What an excellent way to keep those poor doll parts out of a landfill.

5. =) says:

omg , this is so unique and awesomeee

6. adelle says:

This is the most distressing and disturbing thing I could ever possibly think to have in my home…

7. Caro' says:

OMG! LOVE love LOVE the idea!!!
    Can’t wait to make it and see people’s face! Thanks for sharing!

8. Babydoll says:

Nice! But it’s scared me.
    Thanks, anyway.
    Thanks for the idea, again.

9. dee says:

great work, pure awesomeness.

10. emily says:

Hehehe!!! OK, so some of you don’t like doll limbs but take it a step farther and how about dinosaurs tails and heads for a boys room? (Every little boy has a toy box filled with those) Or heads and tails of horses or cows for the cowboy set?
    And at least they didn’t use the doll’s head!

11. cosimo says:

great great idea

12. SteG says:

Wau! A really fun idea! ^^

13. Intimo says:

hihihiihi!!! :P Amazing!

14. oh my god! Stuff to make people afraid to friends!!!

15. erica m says:

I saw this on in her DIY linky party post and have to say I was a little weirded out but totally facinated. I had to check out the link.

I think I would totally go for these…but would use some krylon paint and paint the whole shabang one solid color. Makes it less creepy and more artistic…

16. Somebody says:

A cool addition to this could be to add a shelf mounted on top for extra space and attach the doll’s head in the middle!!

17. My family every time say that I am killing my time here at web, but
    I know I am getting familiarity daily by reading such nice posts.

18. Shannon says:

Creepy in that cool way. My son would go gaga for this. Pun intended!

19. Sharon Stepp says:

Great idea. I have bought dolls for the eyes. Now I have use for the rest of the body. Thanks!