diy project: découpage stool with petit collage

we love living in san francisco. this city is just chock-full of fun, talented, and friendly folks. one of them is our pal lorena siminovich, the artist and proprietress behind the oh-so-lovely petit collage. lorena’s got a great eye for color, and we’re big fans of her bold, graphic work. this week, we were the lucky recipients of a quick lesson in diy furniture collage from a true master of the form. thanks lorena! click here for the full post with instructions or just click “read more” below.

-derek & lauren

ps: we are going to be taking a few weeks off to finish up a couple super exciting projects we’re working on. thanks so much for all the diy & crafty fun. see you in a few weeks! (ed note: during the curiosity shoppe’s posting vacation we’ll have new diy projects contributed by a special guest editor)

[portrait of lorena by lisa congdon]

découpage stool with petit collage

here’s what you need

-small round tool or end-table with a flat, clean surface (we used the “frosta” stool from ikea, which looks just like our favorite aalto stool.)
-selection of decorative papers, such as origami paper
-2-inch circular hole punch. (lorena’s favorite is this fiskars squeeze punch, which is ergonomically designed so it won’t hurt your hand!)
-collage adhesive, such as mod podge or royal coat
-paintbrush

1. punch out a variety of 2″ circles and arrange them on your stool until you’re happy with the composition. (tip: lorena suggests punching at least 2-3 sheets of paper at a time, which will not only make things go faster, but prevent single sheets from getting jammed in the hole punch, which tends to happen with thin origami paper.)

2. starting with the outside ring of circles, lay them on the stool and begin attaching them one by one using your adhesive and paintbrush. make sure to put glue both under and over the paper. smooth out any air bubbles and set aside to dry.

3. once that layer is dry to the touch (about 20 minutes), lay down the second ring of circles and apply in the same manner as the first circle.

4. repeat with the third circle, adding a final 1″ circle to the very center.

5. finish with at least two layers of royal coat over the entire stool, and let dry for at least 24 hours before use. you may also wish to seal your stool with furniture wax or a waterproof varnish.

1. annie says:

absolutely lovely!!

2. VisuaLingual says:

This is so lovely; I’ve actually been thinking of doing something similar with a side table I recently thrifted. Thanks for the inspiration!

3. alexandra says:

I’ve tried collaging with paper and modpodge before and the paper always bubbles/warps (like paper does when it gets wet). Any suggestions?

4. Sachi Smith says:

I CAN’T WAIT to do this!!

5. Olga says:

ooh so pretty! Love all the delicate patterns.

6. alexis says:

i have this stool and all the supplies… i can’t wait to do this project!

7. katie says:

Wow! I’ve had a pair of these stools for ever, and they are sooooo useful, but I always wished they were a bet cuter. Now I know just what to do!

8. rifferaff says:

I’m a huge fan of Lorena’s work. Love this! Alexandra: maybe try sealing your projects with clear varnish or lacquer?

9. Gerald Galison says:

Wow, wonderful art. Lorena is really talented!

10. Brooke says:

I love her designs!

11. her works are so pretty! what a wonderful sense of color and whimsy she has…great project as well!~

12. Alexandra, After you put glue on the paper, brush it with glue on top as per photo, the bubbles should disappear, if not, sometimes i use a pushpin to release air, and then brush again.
    Some papers are not good for this, like the handmade or too fibrous.
    Another technique is to apply a thin coat of modpodge or Royal Coat to the paper and let it dry before using it. I do this with vintage or fragile papers.

13. tula says:

thank you so much for this project. absolutely gorgeous and i just may be able to pull it off!

14. Silmara says:

Amei, achei adorável, vou comprar papéis lindos e fazer aqui em casa. Parabéns!!!!!

15. Lorena is AWESOME! That is one talented lady… And I love the collage site!

16. Alexandra says:

Thanks Lorena! I look forward to trying this out.

17. I love petit collage’s work so much fun!! by the way I find it funny how Surtex is now advertising on your blog. I dropped out this year since last year it was the worst traffic ever, I will be surprised to see how they do this year with the economy and since I will be at Stationery meeting clients I have the opportunity to see just how well the show is this year!

18. Ryan Green says:

oh my gosh, that is such a good idea. it looks so cute!

19. jenlukas says:

I love this idea, I know what I am doing this weekend. Thanks!

20. ahhh so cute i wanna cry. love the pic of lorena in front of all her work.

21. thomas says:

Awesome!!! I can think of sooo many end tables that would benefit from such a cute treatment.

and that is a very cute pic indeed

22. nancy says:

I was thinking about about decoupaging an old Lack table fr Ikea. Its plain royal blue and I was thinking maybe some stripes? I ‘m glad I saw this to remind me … Just do it!
    thanks Lorena

23. ndutyke says:

hey I’m from Indonesia and I really love your blog especially he DIY part!

in really hope my husband will let me treat one of my table like that!

awesome… ^^v

24. Rebecca says:

This is super cute, but I’m wondering, does the glue give it a brushstroked, stucco-y texture? That’s what happened the one time I used Mod Podge on something, and I didn’t like it.

25. Elizabeth says:

Rebecca, if you use a sponge instead of a brush for the Mod Podge, you should not get any streaks.

I just did this project (with different shapes and snow & graham papers) and it turned out SO CUTE. Thanks for the fantastic plans!

26. Emily says:

I tried this little project out. So fun and cute! See what I did: http://escapadesofemilyandjoe.blogspot.com/2008/05/diy-fun.html

27. Ayesha says:

your ideas are an inspiration to me. i am now painting on my rotpunkt thermas, but cant coat them i need something strong and waterproof so my paintings wont go down the drain….any clues??