before and after: susannah’s record cabinet

this quick-fix before & after makeover comes from d*s reader and diy contest finalist, susannah becket (her diy project instructions are coming next week). susannah explains, “i found this sad little door-less, divider-less MCM record cabinet at my favorite thrift store. i refinished the exterior, stained the interior and made doors and interior dividers using plywood and fabric. not bad for a day’s work, if i do say so myself!” not bad at all. thanks for sharing susannah!

[have a before and after you’d like to share on d*s? just click here to send an email with your photos]

1. krissy says:

wow! what a fantastic job! she should be a d*s correspondent…

2. Deebo says:

oh my gosh, that plant stand/pot is sooo cute. any idea where it came from??

3. Jenn says:

Just wondering where the planter next to the cabinet came from? :) anyone?

4. Joan says:

The more I see of this girl, the more I like what she comes up with! She has a good sense of design, and she knows how to stretch a dollar in a creative and attractive way. She’d be great on “Design on a Dime.”

5. Luka says:

That’s a classy update to a good piece of furniture!

6. Susannah says:

I bought the planter at an antique store in San Francisco, but you can buy a new bullet planter by googling “bullet planter” or by keeping your eye on d*s’s advertisers (where I just know I’ve seen them).

Just putting the finishing touches on my Design on a Dime application, Joan (aka Mom) … :)

7. driftingthought says:

great job, love it!!

8. Kellis says:

We had something like this with a record player built into it when I was a kid I loooooooved it.

9. krissy says:

mom or not, i think joan is right – you’d be great on ‘design on a dime’

10. erinberry says:

Excellent job! I like the fabric choice.

11. Marcela says:

Susannah, I was wondering where you got that fabric. I’ve seen it in Los Angeles for $30 a yard, and was hoping I could find a better price. Thank you.

12. Joan says:

Marcela, this project probably used about a half yard. You can often find remnants that are marked down, either in fabric stores or at those huge outlets. Outlets or even retail stores sometimes issue coupons for up to half off one cut of fabric. Try the LA downtown fashion district if you need lots of fabric cheap–9th & Maple? Otherwise, if you only need a fraction of a yard, or even a couple of yards, it’s often best to bite the bullet and get what you really like and want rather than spending lots of time and $ on gas while looking for a better deal.

13. Nicole says:

Does anyone know where I can get one of those cabinets?