before and after: natalie’s lamp

today’s second before and after is a great example of what a little paint and fabric can do. natalie hansen of steamed artichoke studio sent in this great lamp makeover project that cost her only $12! she found the lamp base and lampshade at a thrift store in san francisco and then spray-painted the base and wire with high-gloss white paint and covered the lampshade with amy butler fabric and ribbon from peapod fabrics. all it was required was paint, a hot glue gun, spray mount and a little elbow grease. thanks to natalie for sharing!

[have a before and after furniture or home makeover you’d like to share? just shoot me an email with your photos right here.]

1. It looks great! I am going on a quest today or tomorrow to find a lamp from the thrift store…maybe even 2 lamps. I can’t wait to make them “new” again!

2. Leah says:

Wow, love it! I have a great thrift store lamp that I have been planning to paint over, and I have been looking for a new shade for it forever…Did it ever occur to me to re-cover in new fabric? Boy, do I feel dumb.

3. heather says:

totally adorable!

4. Raven says:

I am in love with that lamp.

I see things like this and get so excited, but then the thrift stores near me all have over-priced, uncool things. I’m going to have to drive out further I guess.

5. Anne Bryant says:

So great! Now I will be looking at junky old lamps with new eyes. :)

6. So she just put the fabric right over the old shade? I would have thought it would have made it too dark, but it doesn’t look like it. Cool.

7. geogirl says:

i’ve been wanting to a similar thing with one my lamp shades, and am not sure how to best attach the fabric so it’s not too wonky. any tips?

8. Thanks for the feedback! I tried several thrift stores like Salvation Army, etc. I finally started to going to second-hand stores and they seemed to have better prices and styles. Here’s a link to my blog (not my corporate site): http://steamedartichokestudio.blogspot.com/ Thanks again for the positive feedback! -Natalie

9. Rory says:

I love it. I totally would have turned my nose up at the before lamp if I saw it somewhere…but it’s awesome after!

10. donna says:

Aww..ugly brown duckling becomes a swan.

11. Tara says:

Don’t forget to check the cords when you purchase a vintage lamp. If you recognize the plug or cord as being old or see any frays in the wiring, replace the cord and bulb socket.

It is a very easy and cheap DIY.

Those are the directions I used to rewire two 1950s lamps I found on ebay. I got the parts at my local hardware shop for about $12 (for both lamps).

12. Jennifer says:

OMG — gorgeous!!! New lampshade, here I come!

13. Isn’t it amazing the potential that most peoples’s junk has! I love the lamp shade!

14. lindsay says:

It’s amazing what a coat of white paint can do!

15. Aunt Elyse says:

Such talent…….dare I say it runs in both sides of the family!! I just wish you were closer so we could do some of these projects together!
    Love ya!